The Student Room Group

What A levels do I choose to become a doctor?

I got my form so do I choose Biology and Chemistry and leave physics because people told me its for geography and engineering. I will also take maths and another one, so are these choices the ideal ones to become a doctor in the future?
@Awesome Genius Help me out please or anyone else who knows.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Biology and Chemistry are a must, and so is maths, so those would be the three you take to full A Level, and physics is helpful, but if I were you I'd take those three and choose one you like, as you can always drop it after a year (If that's how your sixth form do it) or continue it and have one good subject that's a light relief, those three subjects are hard and it will be a lot of work (In the first week my school was setting 4 hour biology assignments!!) and it's nice to have one subject that lets you relax (For example I'm taking history, psychology, economics and photography and photography is a good way to de-stress as those others are hard work and lots of essays,)
Original post by TheYearNiner
I got my form so do I choose Biology and Chemistry and leave physics because people told me its for geography and engineering. I will also take maths and another one, so are these choices the ideal ones to become a doctor in the future?

Spoiler

I'm not applying for medicine, but I know many people who are and who have in the past, and have medical parents.
As mentioned above, biology and chemistry are vital. Maths or physics would also be beneficial, even necessary, in showing a dedication to and aptitude for scientific subjects. As for your fourth, it isn't as important. It might be preferable to choose something well-respected and 'traditional', but this shouldn't be a key consideration; it's much more important that you receive a high grade. I know people applying with (as a fourth A-level or AS) Ancient Greek, English lit., music or physics, all of whom are receiving interviews (and, in my view, likely to get offers). The best advice is just to choose a fourth subject that you're likely to enjoy and do well at.
Reply 3
bruh

i wanted to do med when I was your age

did bio, chem, phys, computing

got BCCB at AS (almost died for those grades) so now i can't unless i get like A*s and As this year to pull my grades up which ain't gonna happen

don't do it

take bio, chem, socio and geo :smile:
Original post by JessThomas6
Biology and Chemistry are a must, and so is maths, so those would be the three you take to full A Level, and physics is helpful, but if I were you I'd take those three and choose one you like, as you can always drop it after a year (If that's how your sixth form do it) or continue it and have one good subject that's a light relief, those three subjects are hard and it will be a lot of work (In the first week my school was setting 4 hour biology assignments!!) and it's nice to have one subject that lets you relax (For example I'm taking history, psychology, economics and photography and photography is a good way to de-stress as those others are hard work and lots of essays,)

Thank you, I was thinking of choosing buisness studies but I didnt take it as a GCSE
Original post by SosbanFach
I'm not applying for medicine, but I know many people who are and who have in the past, and have medical parents.
As mentioned above, biology and chemistry are vital. Maths or physics would also be beneficial, even necessary, in showing a dedication to and aptitude for scientific subjects. As for your fourth, it isn't as important. It might be preferable to choose something well-respected and 'traditional', but this shouldn't be a key consideration; it's much more important that you receive a high grade. I know people applying with (as a fourth A-level or AS) Ancient Greek, English lit., music or physics, all of whom are receiving interviews (and, in my view, likely to get offers). The best advice is just to choose a fourth subject that you're likely to enjoy and do well at.

Thanks I will see what I enjoy, I was thinking of buisness or finance but I dont know anyting about them.
Original post by z33
bruh

i wanted to do med when I was your age

did bio, chem, phys, computing

got BCCB at AS (almost died for those grades) so now i can't unless i get like A*s and As this year to pull my grades up which ain't gonna happen

don't do it

take bio, chem, socio and geo :smile:

No, I will do it. I believe I can get far with them.
Reply 6
i want to do medicine too so obviously im doing chemistry, biology and maths and my final option is gonna be spanish because universities will like it if you choose a more 'diverse' option rather than another scientific subject to show all your abilities and that youre not just an average science geek lol so maybe a language, creative subject or writing subject(if you like writing, i hate it lol) i would stay away from something like economics or anything maths-y :tongue:
obviously, choose something youre good at and if youre really struggling you can always drop it after year 12. depending on what sixth form i go im going to drop maths (i dont really want to but i think spanish looks better) theres a sixthform i want to go which makes you carry on with all 4 (i secretly like the idea :h:) good luck!!

Spoiler

As long as you have chemistry and biology it doesn't matter what your third and fourth are.

For the one millionth time on TSR, maths IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDICINE!!!!!!! Unless you want to apply to Cambridge. And physics is in no way helpful in a medical degree.
Thank you, I was thinking of choosing buisness studies but I didnt take it as a GCSE

Thanks I will see what I enjoy, I was thinking of buisness or finance but I dont know anyting about them.

You don't need GCSE, I know plenty of people who didn't take ti and are doing it this year, but also AS is the same as year 11 with a tiny bit of extra detail.
Also, I know it isn't a very prestigious uni but Brighton accept B's and A's I think :smile:
Original post by ForestCat
As long as you have chemistry and biology it doesn't matter what your third and fourth are.

For the one millionth time on TSR, maths IS NOT NEEDED FOR MEDICINE!!!!!!! Unless you want to apply to Cambridge. And physics is in no way helpful in a medical degree.

I googled it, it is at many universities :smile:
I googled it, it is at many universities :smile:

No it isn't. Bio or chem are the ones needed. Not maths.
Reply 11

okay then why you asking the question lol? i tried to warn ya... good luck!
No it isn't. Bio or chem are the ones needed. Not maths.

I'm pretty uni websites and also the admissions officer at my school, who won't let people apply for medicine without maths as they'll get rejected, would know :/
I'm pretty uni websites and also the admissions officer at my school, who won't let people apply for medicine without maths as they'll get rejected, would know :/

Please show me these websites. You don't need maths.

Admissions officers don't know everything. You won't be rejected without maths, it is not a requirement. Chemistry is and most others require bio to at least as. But only Cambridge requires three sciences.
(edited 8 years ago)

No, they're wrong, and you're wrong. Please stop promoting this misunderstanding, thanks :h:

(The med school websites say no such thing fyi).
Original post by Democracy
No, they're wrong, and you're wrong. Please stop promoting this misunderstanding, thanks :h:

(The med school websites say no such thing fyi).

As far as I can tell, this seems to be the case. What they do say, however (this, for the OP to help in his decision making, is from UCL) is:

Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Examples of contrasting subjects: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign language.

So you might want to look into one of these?

Thank you!
do physics
Biology,Chemistry, Maths and let the 4th AS be anything you ENJOY!!.
Choose a slightly easier subject. I did Business studies and loved it and it allowed me to prioritise on my slightly harder subjects.
Lol, you definitely do not need maths.

Original post by SosbanFach
As far as I can tell, this seems to be the case. What they do say, however (this, for the OP to help in his decision making, is from UCL) is:

Some preference will be given to applicants who offer a contrasting subject at AS/A-level. In this context a contrasting subject is one outside the traditional science subjects of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics. Examples of contrasting subjects: English Literature, History, Geography, Art, Music, Religious Studies, Design and Technology, a foreign language.

So you might want to look into one of these?

I think that policy would be a poor reason to choose a subject.

People should do what they enjoy. There is certainly no requirement for Physics/Maths, or indeed for a contrasting subject either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending