The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

2016 English Literature with Creative Writing Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmathereader
I'm the same lol. My poetry skills aren't that fantastic, I'm much more a short story/prose kinda person!

Oooh a poetry blog! I have a blog, but I review books, and only occasionally post any of my own stuff - I'd be too embarrassed to put it all out there!

Oh nice! :biggrin:DD And yup, that's why I used a pen name! XDD Does anybody have a critique partner or beta reader by the way? :redface:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Pandorax
Oh nice! :biggrin:DD And yup, that's why I used a pen name! XDD Does anybody have a critique partner or beta reader by the way? :redface:

I so should use a pen name! And no, I don't!
I adore The Bloody Chamber (and Frankenstein) - same English Lit exam board? :wink:

Heheh maybe! XD I'm doing lang and lit however! :P When we started reading it in English, I was like yup. Dis is my favourite book we have studied so far. Yup. xDD
Do you have a favourite short story?
I so should use a pen name! And no, I don't!

Yes! XDD It's amazing! You can post without being embarrassed, and the responses you receive are always motivating! oo you should! Critique partners are great, you can receive critique whilst learning how to give critique, great if you are interested in editing!
Heheh maybe! XD I'm doing lang and lit however! :P When we started reading it in English, I was like yup. Dis is my favourite book we have studied so far. Yup. xDD
Do you have a favourite short story?

I'm just doing English Lit route B AQA - Frankenstein and The Bloody Chamber are two of our exam texts - I was thrilled when we were told our genre for the exam was Gothic! I think my faves are The Bloody Chamber, The Snow Child and The Courtship of Mr Lyon. You?
Awh, don't worry! I'm sure you're good at it! To be honest, out of all of the poems I have created, I only really like about 100 of them, and only 30-50 of those are anywhere near their final drafts/to a finished state.
Yupyup! I understand, I started writing poetry properly this March, I try and write a poem a day, (this month I've been procrastinating however! XDD)
I don't mind sharing it, it's just that I use a pen name, so if I post it publicly on here, someone else could claim it as their own work [not that anyone would , its not very good XDD];-; If you have a private messaging thing or anything I would be happy to give the link to you tho! :biggrin:

Ooooh they let you use extracts!?! 8DDD asdfgh thank you for telling me this! Heheh, I can now bulk up my portfolio!

Yupyup true! But as its competitive, I want my best quality work to be in it,

I would highly recommend them! I love the minds conflict in jekyll and hyde and the integration of societal values of the time. The kite runner is very emotional and beautiful, so many feels T^T

I have heard of Lolita, I need to read it, I'm currently reading Frankenstein XDD
And Ian McEwan? o:
Do you know of the bloody chamber or clockwork orange?

100 poems that's amazing I haven't even written 30 let alone have 30 I have redrafted and redeveloped. I like the poem a day idea :smile: how long are they on average?
I will sling you a personal message if that is ok (is that possible on student room im quite new)
I will have to read them I think my mum might even have the kiterunner too :smile:
Yeah I quite liked Frankenstein although it was a bit of a wade at points haha
Ian McEwan is just a fairly contemporary novelist. He's a booker winner and so on - I think his most famous book is Atonement.
Yeah the Clockwork Orange is great just for being completely unique and strange what is the bloody chamber?
I'm just doing English Lit route B AQA - Frankenstein and The Bloody Chamber are two of our exam texts - I was thrilled when we were told our genre for the exam was Gothic! I think my faves are The Bloody Chamber, The Snow Child and The Courtship of Mr Lyon. You?

Ooo nice nice! :biggrin:DD Have you started reading Frankenstein yet?
And mine are The Snow Child and Wolf Alice! I was able to use Wolf Alice in my exam, so I was very happy! XDD
Original post by markini1375
I will have to read them I think my mum might even have the kiterunner too :smile:
Ian McEwan is just a fairly contemporary novelist. He's a booker winner and so on - I think his most famous book is Atonement.

I love Atonement, but I think Enduring Love is my fave Ian McEwan
Yes! XDD It's amazing! You can post without being embarrassed, and the responses you receive are always motivating! oo you should! Critique partners are great, you can receive critique whilst learning how to give critique, great if you are interested in editing!

I think that's a fab idea! I should definitely do that lol

Ooo nice nice! :biggrin:DD Have you started reading Frankenstein yet?
And mine are The Snow Child and Wolf Alice! I was able to use Wolf Alice in my exam, so I was very happy! XDD

Wolf Alice is a nice one! Yeah, we've nearly finished Frankenstein in class, but it's been a fave of mine for a while now :smile:
100 poems that's amazing I haven't even written 30 let alone have 30 I have redrafted and redeveloped. I like the poem a day idea :smile: how long are they on average?
I will sling you a personal message if that is ok (is that possible on student room im quite new)
Yeah the Clockwork Orange is great just for being completely unique and strange what is the bloody chamber?

Hmm, well I started in march, and I'm currently at 300 poems, some of them are really long, some are short, some are even as short as haikus. It really depends on what the idea is, and how lazy/motivated I am during that day. :P I like experimenting with the style and target audience as well, so sometimes I focus on story telling whilst other times I focus on emotion, rhyme/free verse etc..
And sure!
Yup! I am having to read Frankenstein at quite a slow pace, but I don't mind too much! XD
Hmm, haven't heard of that! I will need to read it! :P

The bloody Chamber by Carter is a collection of short stories which reinvent fairy tales, buuuut the fairy tales are exhibited really gothic and dark >D
I love Atonement, but I think Enduring Love is my fave Ian McEwan

Ooh I haven't read that one. I just read Amsterdam which one the booker but I didn't actually like it anywhere near as much as atonement. Some of his earlier short stories are quite interesting as well :smile:
I think that's a fab idea! I should definitely do that lol

Wolf Alice is a nice one! Yeah, we've nearly finished Frankenstein in class, but it's been a fave of mine for a while now :smile:

This is going to be quite weird, but are there any sentences you found confusing at first in Frankenstein? There was this one sentence which I had to re-read a few times before I understood it! XDD It's been haunting me ;-; XDD
Ooh I haven't read that one. I just read Amsterdam which one the booker but I didn't actually like it anywhere near as much as atonement. Some of his earlier short stories are quite interesting as well :smile:

I've not read Amsterdam - think I'll give it a read
This is going to be quite weird, but are there any sentences you found confusing at first in Frankenstein? There was this one sentence which I had to re-read a few times before I understood it! XDD It's been haunting me ;-; XDD

Quite a few, I seem to recall! I took it slow, but still skimmed a few bits multiple times!
Hmm, well I started in march, and I'm currently at 300 poems, some of them are really long, some are short, some are even as short as haikus. It really depends on what the idea is, and how lazy/motivated I am during that day. :P I like experimenting with the style and target audience as well, so sometimes I focus on story telling whilst other times I focus on emotion, rhyme/free verse etc..
And sure!
Yup! I am having to read Frankenstein at quite a slow pace, but I don't mind too much! XD
Hmm, haven't heard of that! I will need to read it! :P

The bloody Chamber by Carter is a collection of short stories which reinvent fairy tales, buuuut the fairy tales are exhibited really gothic and dark >D

Nice that's so impressive. How long ago did you start - like your first poem?

Yeah I recommend Atonement especially as a writer yourself and McEwan is a great writer as well

I'll have to look out for this blood chamber I do like a good short story
Quite a few, I seem to recall! I took it slow, but still skimmed a few bits multiple times!

Heheh phew! XDD I'm not the only one! C,: Have you read any Shakespeare or Chaucer yet?
I've not read Amsterdam - think I'll give it a read

Its one of those books which you can plough through in a day which is good and some of the writing is so elegant. I just had a bit of a problem with the believability of some of the characters.. which sometimes isn't that important anyway
Heheh phew! XDD I'm not the only one! C,: Have you read any Shakespeare or Chaucer yet?

We're doing Macbeth for this year's exam - not my fave Shakespeare but not my least fave either. My favourite Shakespeare is Much Ado About Nothing. I've not had much experience with Chaucer - only read one or two of the Canterbury Tales.
Its one of those books which you can plough through in a day which is good and some of the writing is so elegant. I just had a bit of a problem with the believability of some of the characters.. which sometimes isn't that important anyway

Ah - I do like a good bit of elegant writing! I'll give it a read and maybe tell you what I thought
Hi, I'm applying for UEA creative writing too. Massive fan of Gothic and Angela Carter :biggrin:
Just wondering for the portfolio of work you have to send off to UEA what type of writing did you send them? I'm big on play scripts and short stories but not sure of what they're looking for in particular....
Did you stick to your passions or have a teacher help you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest