The Student Room Group

Surprise surprise, its happened again.....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Danz123
Thus is what I hate when a story like this comes out: it brings forth the xenophobes who hate multiculturalism. The language used is just atrocious. You can tell from the pronouns used, "THEY raped OUR women." Or "ugh, these vile ASIAN men" "religion of peace my ass" "they're barbarians". Said people get SO angry because of the 'us vs. them' mentality they have, rather than because of the incident itself.

If 15 white guys raped a white girl, noone would say culture is the problem. Noone would say 'Christianity' is the problem. Finally, if those guys were from some other European country (Poland for example) noone would say "go back to your own country."

Their ethnicity or religion is not the problem. WHAT THEY DID, is the problem, and it's something ANY group of people can do, regardless of race, religion or anything else.

Why should I like multiculturalism? Can you even give me a reason?
Original post by Danz123
Thus is what I hate when a story like this comes out: it brings forth the xenophobes who hate multiculturalism. The language used is just atrocious. You can tell from the pronouns used, "THEY raped OUR women." Or "ugh, these vile ASIAN men" "religion of peace my ass" "they're barbarians". Said people get SO angry because of the 'us vs. them' mentality they have, rather than because of the incident itself.

If 15 white guys raped a white girl, noone would say culture is the problem. Noone would say 'Christianity' is the problem. Finally, if those guys were from some other European country (Poland for example) noone would say "go back to your own country."

Their ethnicity or religion is not the problem. WHAT THEY DID, is the problem, and it's something ANY group of people can do, regardless of race, religion or anything else.

Whilst I also dislike people going down the British First route with this, I don't think you can totally exclude culture and not see even the smallest link. Some cultures don't view women as equal as Western cultures do; that's a plain fact, and view sex with younger girls as more acceptable.
Original post by billydisco
Why should I like multiculturalism? Can you even give me a reason?

It's not so much finding a critique in multiculturalism as a state policy, but the brash remarks made at the expense of ethnic minorities whenever a topic like this comes up. I believe having different cultures and diversity does enrich society, however having certain values such as a belief in democracy and equality etc. are things all British citizens should take in and feel proud of. Having different cultures doesn't automatically mean groups will be isolated from each other, and people from ethnic minority backgrounds should be allowed to express themselves and their culture without fear of a backlash.

Regardless, I did say 'hate multiculturalism' rather than having reservations about it. Such hate seems to stem from xenophobia really, this weird fear that British values are being eroded and 'the white man is in trouble' ooooo *spooky*.
Reply 43
Original post by Danz123
I believe having different cultures and diversity does enrich society

How does it?
Original post by Danz123
Finally, if those guys were from some other European country (Poland for example) noone would say "go back to your own country."

Because the right wing press just loves Eastern Europeans so much.
Original post by SmashConcept
Because the right wing press just loves Eastern Europeans so much.

I didn't make any such claim, though I do think it hates them markedly less than "the muzzies".
Original post by Lady Comstock
Whilst I also dislike people going down the British First route with this, I don't think you can totally exclude culture and not see even the smallest link. Some cultures don't view women as equal as Western cultures do; that's a plain fact, and view sex with younger girls as more acceptable.

What I'm taking issue with here is the speed with which people generalise whenever someone from a group they don't belong to does something. Noone even thinks of generalising when a white person does something. Hell, even when a white person sees themselves as a terrorist (ala Anders Breivik) people are still quick to play him down as that weird gun nut loner. And it's not even just religion we're talking about here, but any brown person. The way those on the right talk about the 'Asians' in such a venomous tone just worries me really. I mean in the OP or story, it said "15 Asian guys..." and already some people thought "eww, multiculturalism has failed" "damn immigrants" blah blah blah. If they weren't xenophobic, they'd be thinking "like any other such crime, the rapists deserve a very long jail sentence". Hell even if they said the rapists should be hung it'd be better. I disagree with the death penalty but at least they'd be angry at what happened, not the perpetrators' ethnicity or religion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Danz123

Race, religion and culture are three separate things that should not be confused.

This sort of gang rape has a lot of cultural inclination, not religious or race inclination.
How does it?

Well if you live in an ethnically diverse neighbourhood, your friends will probably consist of a diverse group of people. Essentially, you'll know someone who's Asian for example, and you'll be less likely to make such generalisations about them. You'll see them as people, much like when people become more accepting of the LGBT+ community when they know someone who's gay versus when they don't.

It also gives you the chance to experience other cultures and mix more. And the food brah, the food will be awesome. So many different dishes! :lol:
Original post by AlwaysWatching
Race, religion and culture are three separate things that should not be confused.

This sort of gang rape has a lot of cultural inclination, not religious or race inclination.

And yet the people I'm talking about do precisely that when mentioning the guys who did this. Just look at some of the posts on this thread.
Original post by Danz123
And yet the people I'm talking about do precisely that when mentioning the guys who did this. Just look at some of the posts on this thread.

I've seen them. I dont necessarily agree, but I've seen them. However, it is not wrong to point out that some cultures treat women, particularly young girls disrespectfully and exploitatively. As we have seen here with the sexual exploitation of a young girl. We must ask ourselves, what makes rapist rape? The answer is usually aggression, alcohol or culture. The former two dont apply in this case, the last one does because of the numbers involved and their background.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KingBradly
It's kinda disgusting how whenever stuff like this is posted you always get pinkos rolling their eyes and shrugging their shoulders. Clearly something is wrong, how about we actually start to face up to that?

Whatever you say Mr McCarthy.
Reply 52

How the **** can religion and culture be separate when **certain cultures** revolve around their religion????
Reply 53
Original post by Danz123
What I'm taking issue with here is the speed with which people generalise whenever someone from a group they don't belong to does something. Noone even thinks of generalising when a white person does something. Hell, even when a white person sees themselves as a terrorist (ala Anders Breivik) people are still quick to play him down as that weird gun nut loner. And it's not even just religion we're talking about here, but any brown person. The way those on the right talk about the 'Asians' in such a venomous tone just worries me really. I mean in the OP or story, it said "15 Asian guys..." and already some people thought "eww, multiculturalism has failed" "damn immigrants" blah blah blah. If they weren't xenophobic, they'd be thinking "like any other such crime, the rapists deserve a very long jail sentence". Hell even if they said the rapists should be hung it'd be better. I disagree with the death penalty but at least they'd be angry at what happened, not the perpetrators' ethnicity or religion.

Are you purposely being stupid?

This is a majority white country and yet the last 10 gang rapes (Oxford, Rochdale, Rotherham......), involving young girls were all committed by the same ethnic group (and usually from the same country)...... its called a trend!

Are cultures identical? Please tell me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 54

This is a majority white country and yet the last 10 gang rapes (Oxford, Rochdale, Rotherham......), involving young girls were all committed by the same ethnic group (and usually from the same country)...... its called a trend!

The tragic thing here; certainly in the Rotherham case; was that the investigation showed that the police and social services knowingly and willingly turned a blind eye as to what was going on for years while 1000 young white girls were molested or raped. Not ONE of those girls has yet been compensated for this criminal dereliction of duty.

If that had happened in the US there'd have been a class action suit against the town, county, and beyond and people would be serving time in the big house for criminal negligence.

Leaving aside arguments and discussions about the Asians involved, how the aftermath of this abomination was dealt with is a national disgrace. These people shrugged their shoulders and carried on with their careers when they should be doing time at one of Her Majesty's hotels.
Reply 55
Original post by Howard
The tragic thing here; certainly in the Rotherham case; was that the investigation showed that the police and social services knowingly and willingly turned a blind eye as to what was going on for years while 1000 young white girls were molested or raped. Not ONE of those girls has yet been compensated for this criminal dereliction of duty.

If that had happened in the US there'd have been a class action suit against the town, county, and beyond and people would be serving time in the big house for criminal negligence.

Leaving aside arguments and discussions about the Asians involved, how the aftermath of this abomination was dealt with is a national disgrace. These people shrugged their shoulders and carried on with their careers when they should be doing time at one of Her Majesty's hotels.

I get fed-up being told how great multiculturalism is, when its evident to anybody with 2 brain cells certain cultures have negative characteristics.
I've seen them. I dont necessarily agree, but I've seen them. However, it is not wrong to point out that some cultures treat women, particularly young girls disrespectfully and exploitatively. As we have seen here with the sexual exploitation of a young girl. We must ask ourselves, what makes rapist rape? The answer is usually aggression, alcohol or culture. The former two dont apply in this case, the last one does because of the numbers involved and their background.

Oh for sure, and I'm not saying how these guys were brought up and the cultural influences they had aren't a factor. I just didn't like the blatant xenophobia is all. Plus, 'don't necessarily agree'? In your previous post you very much stressed the difference between race, religion and culture. 'Don't necessarily agree' doesn't sound much like "I completely disagree" tbh, which judging by your last post, you should be.

Are cultures identical? Please tell me?

I don't entirely disagree that in some countries the culture is far more misogynistic and more abuse is acceptable. However I wouldn't go so far as to say localised grooming and exploitation of young children is intrinsic to a particular culture.

And on your point of 'the last 10 gang rapes' to happen in the UK were committed by Pakistani men... think again.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3230898/Beyond-evil-paedophile-gang-raped-babies-toddlers-streamed-vile-crimes-internet-sex-abusers-world-jailed-78-years.html
They've been doing this for years, they get encouraged and supported to do it by some bought politicians and policemen, its part of the ongoing war to destroy the British people and create racial tensions.
Reply 59
I get fed-up being told how great multiculturalism is, when its evident to anybody with 2 brain cells certain cultures have negative characteristics.

I agree up to a point. I wouldn't necessarily want to live in a 100% WASP society but there's no avoiding the obvious; that some cultures are so alien to the norms in the west that they may as well be from Mars.

In non PC terms: I don't mind the odd nig-nog or Indians running the local 7:11 but I don't want to be surrounded by them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending