The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

2016 English Literature with Creative Writing Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmathereader
We're doing Macbeth for this year's exam - not my fave Shakespeare but not my least fave either. My favourite Shakespeare is Much Ado About Nothing. I've not had much experience with Chaucer - only read one or two of the Canterbury Tales.

Did you read the untranslated version for Chaucer? XDD
Ooo, I loved Macbeth! :biggrin: I'm half way into The Tempest but it's not my favourite :tongue:
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by daniisob
Hi, I'm applying for UEA creative writing too. Massive fan of Gothic and Angela Carter :biggrin:
Just wondering for the portfolio of work you have to send off to UEA what type of writing did you send them? I'm big on play scripts and short stories but not sure of what they're looking for in particular....
Did you stick to your passions or have a teacher help you? :smile:

Hiya! I sent 2 (very) short stories (one epistolic form, one traditional prose) and the prologue of a fantasy novel I started writing in the summer. Sending scripts would be cool, I think that's probably seen less than prose and poetry, might catch their eye! I stuck to what I love writing the most, and was too nervous to ask my teacher for a hand! Good luck!
Ah - I do like a good bit of elegant writing! I'll give it a read and maybe tell you what I thought

I'd be well up for that :smile: I'll read enduring love and we can swap thoughts
Original post by Pandorax
Did you read the untranslated version for Chaucer? XDD
Ooo, I loved Macbeth! :biggrin: I'm half way into The Tempest but it's not my favourite :tongue:

The Tempest is one I must get around to reading! And no, I didn't read the untranslated Chaucer! I will do one day, just not now!
Original post by markini1375
I'd be well up for that :smile: I'll read divine love and we can swap thoughts

Enduring Love lol, let's do that!
Enduring Love lol, let's do that!

I don't know why I said that lol
thought my swift and embarrassed editing would do the trick but apparently not haha
Hi, I'm applying for UEA creative writing too. Massive fan of Gothic and Angela Carter :biggrin:
Just wondering for the portfolio of work you have to send off to UEA what type of writing did you send them? I'm big on play scripts and short stories but not sure of what they're looking for in particular....
Did you stick to your passions or have a teacher help you? :smile:

I wrote a short story and a poem. Didn't want to show it to a teacher either. I would say put in whatever you love most and think that you are best at :smile:
Original post by markini1375
I don't know why I said that lol
thought my swift and embarrassed editing would do the trick but apparently not haha

What can I say, I'm swift :wink:
The Tempest is one I must get around to reading! And no, I didn't read the untranslated Chaucer! I will do one day, just not now!

You might enjoy it, it's great at the start, but in the middle it gets a bit (plus oldie humour which you have to check to understand why its funny xDD) slow placed,
And omg XDD I only have the untranslated version of Chaucer, I opened the book, looked down and was like: ...o-o..um..oh..my..god. I proceeded to quietly close it, and I am awaiting a translated version so I can understand the untranslated/learn it then. XDD
Hiya! I sent 2 (very) short stories (one epistolic form, one traditional prose) and the prologue of a fantasy novel I started writing in the summer. Sending scripts would be cool, I think that's probably seen less than prose and poetry, might catch their eye! I stuck to what I love writing the most, and was too nervous to ask my teacher for a hand! Good luck!

Whoa that's a lot, did they give you a word count at all? Or a set number of pieces you could send them? What was your prologue about? That's so creative, i've never shown a teacher my writing and i'm so glad it's not the done thing :h:
Though on another note, is Enduring Love worth the read? I'm about the third chapter in and i'm finding McEwans writting, though beautifully put together, quite arrogant. Not sure if it's the writer or narrator that's making me feel it....:s-smilie:
Whoa that's a lot, did they give you a word count at all? Or a set number of pieces you could send them? What was your prologue about? That's so creative, i've never shown a teacher my writing and i'm so glad it's not the done thing :h:
Though on another note, is Enduring Love worth the read? I'm about the third chapter in and i'm finding McEwans writting, though beautifully put together, quite arrogant. Not sure if it's the writer or narrator that's making me feel it....:s-smilie:

I had a 5 page limit, sent just over 4. It's absolutely not a prerequisite to show a teacher - I find that my best critics are my dad and my best friend (despite not having the technical knowledge a teacher would) so I showed them instead :smile:
I'd push through with McEwan - I see where you're coming from with the arrogance but I adore the story.
You might enjoy it, it's great at the start, but in the middle it gets a bit (plus oldie humour which you have to check to understand why its funny xDD) slow placed,
And omg XDD I only have the untranslated version of Chaucer, I opened the book, looked down and was like: ...o-o..um..oh..my..god. I proceeded to quietly close it, and I am awaiting a translated version so I can understand the untranslated/learn it then. XDD

I struggled through Beowulf and realised I'd get more enjoyment from the translation of Chaucer at the moment XD
I had a 5 page limit, sent just over 4. It's absolutely not a prerequisite to show a teacher - I find that my best critics are my dad and my best friend (despite not having the technical knowledge a teacher would) so I showed them instead :smile:
I'd push through with McEwan - I see where you're coming from with the arrogance but I adore the story.

I struggled through Beowulf and realised I'd get more enjoyment from the translation of Chaucer at the moment XD

Why Chaucer why ;-; XDDD You have to learn the untranslated version at some university courses, and I'm just like: ..c:.soon..soon. XDD
Why Chaucer why ;-; XDDD You have to learn the untranslated version at some university courses, and I'm just like: ..c:.soon..soon. XDD

One day soon, we will conquer the untranslated Chaucer XD
One day soon, we will conquer the untranslated Chaucer XD

YUP! XDD Let us battle and make sense of at least a page! #chaucergoals
YUP! XDD Let us battle and make sense of at least a page! #chaucergoals

I shall do it!
On another note, how many offers have you had so far, and which unis are you thinking about for firm/insurance? :smile:
I shall do it!
On another note, how many offers have you had so far, and which unis are you thinking about for firm/insurance? :smile:

I've had an unconditional if I firm from Birmingham, and conditions from Surrey, and I have no clue yet! Going to wait until the open days! XD
I've had an unconditional if I firm from Birmingham, and conditions from Surrey, and I have no clue yet! Going to wait until the open days! XD

Congrats! I wish I had an unconditional! Both my offers are conditional, but they're the two I wanted for my firm (UEA) and insurance (Kent), so I'm perfectly content with that. Still going to see everywhere I get an offer for again, just to be sure!
Congrats! I wish I had an unconditional! Both my offers are conditional, but they're the two I wanted for my firm (UEA) and insurance (Kent), so I'm perfectly content with that. Still going to see everywhere I get an offer for again, just to be sure!

Thankyou! :biggrin: And thats awesome! I was going to put UEA down for an option, but it's too far away ;-; Hope you enjoy them! :biggrin:D And yup yup!
Hey I've been asked to submit a portfolio to UEA and I was wondering if you do excerpts from a longer story or script should you only do the beginning or is it okay to take a middle section of you include a few lines explanation?
Hi! I've got an unconditional upgrade for English and Creative Writing at UEA, and I also applied for their Scriptwriting and Performance course, so I'll be auditioning for that in January. I've got an interview for English at Cambridge in December which is terrifying, and then I applied for English and Creative Writing at Manchester (who have given me an offer for English Lit before I submit my portfolio) and Royal Holloway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest