The Student Room Group

Career in medicine

Hi guys, I'm currently in year 13 studying for my A2 exams. Ive wanted a career in medicine for about 4/5 years now and unfortunately my AS exam results really let me down. My results were; Maths-C; History-C; Chemistry-E and Biology-D so I'm retaking 7/9 of the exams i sat. Now I'm applying to other courses, for example biomedical sciences and biochemistry. I was just looking for advice regarding my best chances of getting into medicine preferably without having to get a degree beforehand? I'm also thinking about a gap year which i'll use to gain some over seas experience in volunteering etc. Also which universities you would recommend as its hard for me to travel to the campus'?
Original post by Ellie_mayo
Hi guys, I'm currently in year 13 studying for my A2 exams. Ive wanted a career in medicine for about 4/5 years now and unfortunately my AS exam results really let me down. My results were; Maths-C; History-C; Chemistry-E and Biology-D so I'm retaking 7/9 of the exams i sat. Now I'm applying to other courses, for example biomedical sciences and biochemistry. I was just looking for advice regarding my best chances of getting into medicine preferably without having to get a degree beforehand? I'm also thinking about a gap year which i'll use to gain some over seas experience in volunteering etc. Also which universities you would recommend as its hard for me to travel to the campus'?

I'd suggest concentrating on nailing your A-Levels and trying your level best to push your grades up to at least AAA. You can then take a gap year, get some experience and try to apply during your gap year. Otherwise, you could look into studying Medicine abroad but again, you'll need to make sure that you improve your A-Levels a bit.

In terms of getting to the campus...I'm a bit unsure as to what you mean?
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
I'd suggest concentrating on nailing your A-Levels and trying your level best to push your grades up to at least AAA. You can then take a gap year, get some experience and try to apply during your gap year. Otherwise, you could look into studying Medicine abroad but again, you'll need to make sure that you improve your A-Levels a bit.

In terms of getting to the campus...I'm a bit unsure as to what you mean?

It's hard for me to find the time to actually visit the universities personally unfortunately, so i was wondering what other people thought about the universities?I was thinking of applying to Aston, UoB and Surrey.
It's hard for me to find the time to actually visit the universities personally unfortunately, so i was wondering what other people thought about the universities?I was thinking of applying to Aston, UoB and Surrey.

Ah I see :smile:

Well firstly, neither Aston nor Surrey offer Medicine. All Medical Schools in the UK are good and the best thing to do is to apply to Med Schools that favour your strengths (have a look herebut some may be out of date: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths).
Reply 4

Well firstly, neither Aston nor Surrey offer Medicine. All Medical Schools in the UK are good and the best thing to do is to apply to Med Schools that favour your strengths (have a look herebut some may be out of date: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths).

I was applying for bio med and bio-chem at those uni's for this year, because my head of sixth form advised me to not leave my application till my gap year because some universities frown upon it? so apply now for a deferred position(I originally wanted to wait till my results for A2 to apply).. But I'm not too sure about it to be honest.
I was applying for bio med and bio-chem at those uni's for this year, because my head of sixth form advised me to not leave my application till my gap year because some universities frown upon it? so apply now for a deferred position(I originally wanted to wait till my results for A2 to apply).. But I'm not too sure about it to be honest.

For Medicine, I can't think of a single Medical School that will frown upon you having taken a gap year. Loads of Medical Applicants take a gap year every year and manage to get in. If you do want to get into Medicine without getting a degree beforehand, it'd probably be best to - as I said - concentrate on getting AAA at A-Level, taking a gap year and then applying.

You can still apply for biomed/biochem this year as a backup though, just incase things don't quite go to plan.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
For Medicine, I can't think of a single Medical School that will frown upon you having taken a gap year. Loads of Medical Applicants take a gap year every year and manage to get in. If you do want to get into Medicine without getting a degree beforehand, it'd probably be best to - as I said - concentrate on getting AAA at A-Level, taking a gap year and then applying.

You can still apply this year as a backup though, just incase things don't quite go to plan.

Yeah that's what i was thinking, thank you for your advice. I was just worried about the extra pressure with personal statements etc. :biggrin:

Aston are actually opening a medical school in 2017!
http://www.aston.ac.uk/about/news/releases/2014/june/aston-medical-school-announced/
Reply 8
You're probably unlikely to get an offer with those grades, atleast from UoB if you apply now. So probably best to wait then apply :smile:

But a private one. So unless the OP has a **** load of money then its not really an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ForestCat
But a private one. So unless the OP has a **** load of money then its not really an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know but I was so shocked when I read about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending