The Student Room Group

Are there women who aren't feminists?

Always wondered.... :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
only females uneducated on feminism would not be a feminist.
:u:
Reply 3
Because I believe that we are in fact, different. Why would I want to be equal to a man? I'm not a man. And saying that women are equal to men suggests that women are less otherwise. We are designed and programmed differently, for different tasks (evolution-wise). There are jobs that we can both do with the same efficiency, and there are ones that suit better one sex or another.
Reply 4
Original post by Starvation13
Always wondered.... :confused:

You spelt it wrong, it's 'feminazis', and yes but unfortunately it looks like we're about to delve into a very dark future of feminazism.
Reply 5
Original post by ivy.98
Because I believe that we are in fact, different. Why would I want to be equal to a man? I'm not a man. And saying that women are equal to men suggests that women are less otherwise. We are designed and programmed differently, for different tasks (evolution-wise). There are jobs that we can both do with the same efficiency, and there are ones that suit better one sex or another.

Equal doesn't mean identical. And the whole point is that our ideas of what constitutes a man or a woman are flawed and harmful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ivy.98

I second that.
Stupidly, yes.
Original post by ivy.98

Typically speaking, yes men and women are different biologically. But a major point of feminism is that this should not be something that resigns women to certain aspects of society. For starters women can be strong, something considered to be a masculine trait, and in the case where a strong woman wants to do a physical job (firefighter, military etc.) she should be allowed to do so. This is what feminism is about. Equal in opportunity.
Some reject the name but the majority of women are behind the core beliefs even if they do not realise it.
Original post by lilylf
only females uneducated on feminism would not be a feminist.

Yes, no opposing view to yours could possibly have any merit to it, and anyone prescribing to it must just be ignorant. What an enlightened point of view.
Reply 11
Original post by ScaredBanana
Typically speaking, yes men and women are different biologically. But a major point of feminism is that this should not be something that resigns women to certain aspects of society. For starters women can be strong, something considered to be a masculine trait, and in the case where a strong woman wants to do a physical job (firefighter, military etc.) she should be allowed to do so. This is what feminism is about. Equal in opportunity.

Exactly. And as well as letting women be strong, it is also letting men be emotional. It should be alright for men to cry or to take work within traditionally female workspaces - like fashion or nursing. It is not about being identical, as @RobML said, it is about being given the opportunity and seen upon as equal both socially, economically and politically. Being a women and not believe in your own rights to be equal to men is very sad.
There is a difference between a feminist and a bile spewing feminazi.
What is with this obsession that feminists have with knowing who and who isn't a feminist? Who cares? Let women believe what they want to believe, isn't that what your movement is about anyway?
Bloody well 'ope so.
I'm simply #HeForShe, not a feminist. Social constructs place negative pressure on both men and women, it's a two way street.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thankfully, yes.

And within feminism, there are many branches.
Reply 17
There are plenty of non-feminists. The reason for that is primarily the fact that feminism currently portrays a very violent image of a woman, and that is not always so appealing. Naturally, though, as previously stated, most women do realise what their actual rights are, and will support them without necessarily being 'feminists'.
*raises hand* Traditionalist here, how do you do? :h:
I don't know about the uk but in the usa only 25% self identify as feminsts.
I think there is a world of difference between agreeing with basic feminist principles and identifying yourself alongside many of the 3rd wave loons that you see all over the media and online.
So why don't they see themselves as feminists?
Man Spreading campaign
#Killallmen
Ban Bossy campaign.
Sexist Air Conditioning campaign
Slut walks campaign
and my favourite
The Beach Body Ready Campaign. A campaign that shot themselves squarely in the foot.
First of all it showed other companies that it is possible to stand up to the bullying of campaign groups, but what made that so brilliant for me was it showed how the Emperor had no clothes.
It is sometimes very misleading to assume that just because there appears to be loads of looney feminists online, full of anger and bitterness that, that is what the majority of them are like.
The campaign received 50,000 signatures in one week. Their big mistake was to call for a rally in Hyde Pk to protest.
After 50000 signatures, and on a Saturday in London, the capital city and without doubt the place with the highest number of feminist activists, the turn out was pathetic. There was nearly as many press photographers as there was protesters.
They managed to show that 50000 signatures and loads of wittereing online doesn't mean that there are thousands of 3rd wave activists in the real world.
Another thing it showed was that in London, a city where over 50% of the population are Black or ethnic majority, there wasn't one Black face amongst the protesters.
Feminist activists are often accused of being privileged white middleclass women whining about their privileged white middleclass problems. They certainly didn't disprove it that Saturday in London.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending