The Student Room Group

PGCE Modern Languages Goldsmith - Interview Preperation

Hi,

I have just received an invitation to attend an interview at Goldsmiths for their PGCE Modern Languages programmes.

If anyone has any feedback or guidance on what to expect from the day that would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly curious about the following:

The micro-teaching activity: Any tips on dos and don'ts. I am finding it hard to think of an activity that will be suitable to absolute beginners of my target language (Spanish)

Written test in subject language: Any ideas of what form the test takes and their expectations? My grammar and vocab in Spanish is a bit rusty but hopefully we some revision ahead of the interview I can improve my fluency.

Individual Interviews: Aside from the regular 'why do you want to be a teacher?' type questions are there any other type of questions I should prepare for. Also how much of the interview is conducted in English vs. my second language.

Many thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Reply 1
Original post by Thomas_21
Hi,

I have just received an invitation to attend an interview at Goldsmiths for their PGCE Modern Languages programmes.

If anyone has any feedback or guidance on what to expect from the day that would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly curious about the following:

The micro-teaching activity: Any tips on dos and don'ts. I am finding it hard to think of an activity that will be suitable to absolute beginners of my target language (Spanish)

Written test in subject language: Any ideas of what form the test takes and their expectations? My grammar and vocab in Spanish is a bit rusty but hopefully we some revision ahead of the interview I can improve my fluency.

Individual Interviews: Aside from the regular 'why do you want to be a teacher?' type questions are there any other type of questions I should prepare for. Also how much of the interview is conducted in English vs. my second language.

Your teaching activity does sound difficult. I would probably try to have a look what activities are suggested on the internet and then come up with something similar yourself. I found TES and the resources from the Sunderland MFL website very useful. The provider I had an interview with told me that it's important that I don't overly reply on power point in my lesson and that I engage all learners.

I had an interview for a German (my main language) and French PGCE at Newcastle. I had to do a translation from English into German and correct a short text in French. Based on my results in the test, they advised that I should do a French Enhancement Course before starting my PGCE.

You will most likely be asked to talk about your teaching activity. They might ask you why you feel that learning languages is important and how you think you will be able to motivate pupils who don't see the point in learning languages. They might ask you what qualities you have that make you a good teacher and they will most likely ask you to talk about your school experience. I was asked two of the questions in German but I'm a native German speaker so I was able to give quite detailed answers. I didn't feel to confident speaking in French and I only had to talk about my family and my hobbies.

I also had to write a short essay and reflect on an article about an educational issue.

The interview was fairly relaxed and I didn't feel like they were trying to catch me out. I think the most important thing is that you show that you're passionate about teaching and that you show them that you already have an idea what's expected from you during your PGCE year! Good luck!
Reply 2
Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes, there are lot of great online resources out there so I am confident I will a suitably creative and engaging activity. Then it's just a case of practicing and practicing. We won't have access to IT tools on the day so it has to be something very basic.

I am trying to brush up my Spanish (my main language) and make sure it's passable - it's been 10 years since I completed by BA in Spanish. I am just wondering how 'strict' there are going to be with regards to grammar etc. Speaking is fine, it's just that my written Spanish is quite rusty and prone to the odd grammar mistakes.
Reply 3
Hey Thomas,

How did your interview go? Was it difficult? Many thanks, Jenny
Reply 4
Jenny,

The interview very went well thank you. So well that I have now been offered a conditional offer. Have you applied to Goldsmiths and if so do you need any advice?

Thomas
Reply 5
Hey Thomas,

Glad to hear it went well! I applied earlier this week and I'm a bit nervous about the interview process.
I was wondering if they were really looking for strong third language skills, because although my French is great (being native helps) my Spanish is very rusty. I really don't know what to expect.
Any clues or tips about the interview process would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Jenny
Reply 6
Jenny,

I am pretty much in the same, albeit the other way round, i.e. my Spanish is fine but my French is nearly non-existent. It's not a problem. They will test you preferred first language on the day (in your case French), and if you want also your Spanish, If they think your Spanish needs improving they will recommend putting you through a SKE course over the summer. I'm hopefully going to be put through a French language through Metropolitan University.

My main advice for the interview would be to prepare the mirco-teaching acitivity as best as possible, making sure that it's as fun and interactive as possible. I taught participants how to prepare the Argentine tea, 'Yerba Mate'. My interviewer really enjoyed it which then made the interveiw more of a conversation than a formal interview.

If you have any more specific questions do let me know.

Thomas
Reply 7
Hey Thomas,

Thank you for your answers! How long after applying did you hear back from Goldsmith for an interview?

Cheers

Jenny
Reply 8
Hello Thomas_21.

I have a question regarding the micro-teaching activity: did you have to speak only in Spanish during these 5 minutes?

Thanks,

Joan
Reply 9
Jenny,

Thanks for the message and sorry for not getting back to you earlier. It took roughly 3-4 weeks for Goldsmiths to get back regarding an interview. If you applied did you hear back from them?

Thomas
Reply 10
Joan,

Yes, I spoke pretty much entirely Spanish. Just made sure to keep the vocabulary very simple and use a lot of hand gestures and facial expressions to help facilitate understanding.

Thomas

Original post by joan2545
Hello Thomas_21.

I have a question regarding the micro-teaching activity: did you have to speak only in Spanish during these 5 minutes?

Thanks,

Joan
Hi,

Hi Thomas, I hope you don't mind me commenting on your thread from a while back but I have a MFL PGCE interview for Goldsmiths next week, and I'm finding the micro teaching bit very daunting! Do you remember what kinds of things everyone else at your interview did?
Reply 12
Hi, Thanks for your message. Thankfully I managed to get into Goldsmiths so I wish you good luck as well. They created an relaxing atmosphere on the day so don't worry too much.

My main tips for the micro exercise would a) ONLY use the target language; b) keep it fun & simple; and C) use props; colourful/clear linguistic scaffolding; mimes to present any new language. For my micro-teaching activity I demonstrated how to make and drink an Argentine tea called maté - they also like it if you could introduce a cultural element from your language area. Others did bingo, demonstrated a dance...hmm and I can't remember any others as it was quite a while back now.

They will also interview you. Mine was very relaxed; more like an informal chat than a formal interview. Just emphasise the importance of teaching in the target language and wanting to bring in authentic cultural elements into the classroom as that's what they're all about at Goldsmiths. If you want to read up on 'Communicate Language Teaching' then that would be good as well as that's teaching theory that underlines their general approach to language teaching.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Hi, Thanks for your message. Thankfully I managed to get into Goldsmiths so I wish you good luck as well. They created an relaxing atmosphere on the day so don't worry too much.

My main tips for the micro exercise would a) ONLY use the target language; b) keep it fun & simple; and C) use props; colourful/clear linguistic scaffolding; mimes to present any new language. For my micro-teaching activity I demonstrated how to make and drink an Argentine tea called maté - they also like it if you could introduce a cultural element from your language area. Others did bingo, demonstrated a dance...hmm and I can't remember any others as it was quite a while back now.

They will also interview you. Mine was very relaxed; more like an informal chat than a formal interview. Just emphasise the importance of teaching in the target language and wanting to bring in authentic cultural elements into the classroom as that's what they're all about at Goldsmiths. If you want to read up on 'Communicate Language Teaching' then that would be good as well as that's teaching theory that underlines their general approach to language teaching.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Great, thank you so much, this is really useful. And well done on getting in :smile:
Reply 14
Hello everyone, I have been invited as well for an interview at Goldsmith for Modern Languages. I am Spanish and I am preparing my micro teaching activity and I think quite happy with it.
My question is more about the English part of the exam. The have given a extract of a text and a video from ted talks and ask to take notes for the interview day. I am a bit scared about what kind of questions they will do about this, if they will expect us to compare the language on tboth texts ... or create a non fiction text about one of the resources that they give...
If could someone give me some tips about how to prepare this part I will really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Rosalm
Hello everyone, I have been invited as well for an interview at Goldsmith for Modern Languages. I am Spanish and I am preparing my micro teaching activity and I think quite happy with it.
My question is more about the English part of the exam. The have given a extract of a text and a video from ted talks and ask to take notes for the interview day. I am a bit scared about what kind of questions they will do about this, if they will expect us to compare the language on tboth texts ... or create a non fiction text about one of the resources that they give...
If could someone give me some tips about how to prepare this part I will really appreciate it :smile:

Rosalm,

Well done on getting the interview. I had my exam last year and I seem to remember them asking us to watch and read the similar resources and take notes. However, I only remember using these notes to discuss them in groups with other the interviewees...there was no formal exam related to those resources. In your formal interview you might be asked what you thought about the text/video but that would be about it...I think. That's unless they state specifically that there will be an exam about them.

To be honest they are quite a relaxed bunch at Goldsmiths. I have been doing the PGCE with them the past year and have enjoyed it immensely. For the interview day I would recommend the following:
a) Make sure you micro activity is as creative as possible and deliver it purely in Spanish (they are very much in favour of just teaching in the target language). Afterwards they will ask you how you think it went. It's never a good idea to say that it went 'perfect' (if you think it might have been) but to rather reflect on what you could have done better. There is a lot of emphasis on self-reflection during the PGCE so being able to assess and criticise your own lessons in an important skill.

b) In the interview just show that you are passionate about teaching and wanting to improve language education in the UK; being Spanish you should probably want to emphasise that you can bring a lot of authentic Spanish cultural elements into your teaching.

Otherwise good luck. If you need any further assistance let me know. Hope you get the place.

Thomas
Reply 16
Hello Thomas,

I just want to say thank you sooooooo much for your answer. I will make sure that I follow your tips, and I will let you know how the interview goes.

It is as well very nice to hear that you have enjoyed a lot the course. I am very excited with this opportunity and I really enjoy teaching, hopefully everything will go well :smile:

Thank you one more time,

Rosa
Reply 17
Original post by Rosalm

Hi Rosalm,
I also have an interview this Monday and would love to know if you had yours. If so, I would really appreciate any feedback .

Regards,
X
Hi Rosalind
My name is Pili and I have the same interview as you had at Goldsmiths, with the same kind of tests and the TED video.
How was everything with you??
Any tips??
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending