The Student Room Group

Why is this racist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vnupe
Intrinsically you do... you know that South Africa and Zimbabwe (sp) were under the grips of Apartheid and colonial oppression. That is a completely distinct position from that of Australia...

By playing coy to this blatant fact and trying to position your argument innocently demeans you...

Lets get it out in the open... to what racially motivated violence are you referring?

And how are those two nations racists?

I suspect I know your answer, but I for one am willing to hear them...

I worked in South Africa and saw the racism from both sides. The whites who despise the blacks as if they are not human. And the blacks who despise the whites as if they were demons.

There is racial violence from all sides, black, whites, afrikaans etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ndella
They're lost causes. Some people think racism is blatant discrimination against someone, but, until they are a monority, they will never understand the depth of it.

I know, I'm just going to ignore these people and avoid this thread. I mean I'm not even black and I can smell the racism and the ignorance from here.
Original post by DiddyDec

Posted from TSR Mobile

So ****ing what?? Cool, safe, we all know that! You're bringing it up why? How is it relevant?! Answer the OP question!

is it racist to turn away a group of black kids in a merchandise store?!

yes or no. **** sake. :hmmm:

all this brouhaha about south africa and where you went, nobody cares bruv??

you bringing this up is equivalent to: "well because other people do it, it doesn't matter."

disgusting
if I see anything more or less than a yes or no from this boy, I officially know what i'm dealing with.
Original post by King Mal
So ****ing what?? Cool, safe, we all know that! You're bringing it up why? How is it relevant?! Answer the OP question!

is it racist to turn away a group of black kids in a merchandise store?!

yes or no. **** sake. :hmmm:

all this brouhaha about south africa and where you went, nobody cares bruv??

you bringing this up is equivalent to: "well because other people do it, it doesn't matter."

disgusting

I was answering a question. Not justifying someone's actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was answering a question. Not justifying someone's actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cannot answer that it is racism. You are deflecting like a child in the goddamn principals' office.

Right. Got my answer. You, sir, are being an intentional knobhead. Or you truly are that way. Either way, :hat2:
Original post by vnupe
who reports to a regional manager, who reports to the country wide manager to regional global... etc... Apple is not going to leave its branding decisions, good or bad to individual shop managers, especially in incidents that occur in a flagship type store...

Well you believe what you like. It seems to me unlikely in the extreme that it left the store in terms of making an apology. This is not a branding decision, just a matter of local customer service.

The customers were asked to leave by a junior employee; the customers were unhappy at their treatment; they got the apology they were after from the store manager; they went home. They then welched on their acceptance of the apology by publishing the video. The BBC article quotes an Apple spokesman as saying so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34795059
Original post by albertrobson1
It's not about racial slurs, it's because the shop manager asked them to leave and said he was concerned they were going to shoplift

And that's racist?

Funny how we're more concerned about the colour of their skin than the probability that something might have stirred the employees' suspicions.

What if, before the video was taken, the kids were picking up the items, or fiddling with the safety equipment. Would it still be racism?

Look at both sides please.
Ad hominem, nice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I smell Godwin's Law lol

Spoiler

Original post by King Mal
You cannot answer that it is racism. You are deflecting like a child in the goddamn principals' office.

Right. Got my answer. You, sir, are being an intentional knobhead. Or you truly are that way. Either way, :hat2:

No, I'm not deflecting in fact I wasn't even talking to you. The person I was responding to asked me a question and I answered it.

You should try being more polite and less defensive. It isn't you anywhere.
Reply 50
I worked in South Africa and saw the racism from both sides. The whites who despise the blacks as if they are not human. And the blacks who despise the whites as if they were demons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which one begat the other? Which group had and still holds the economic power?
Reply 51
Original post by Good bloke
Well you believe what you like. It seems to me unlikely in the extreme that it left the store in terms of making an apology. This is not a branding decision, just a matter of local customer service.

The customers were asked to leave by a junior employee; the customers were unhappy at their treatment; they got the apology they were after from the store manager; they went home. They then welched on their acceptance of the apology by publishing the video. The BBC article quotes an Apple spokesman as saying so.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-34795059

Welched on their acceptance?? Ok now I get it... You are blaming them for being told to leave the store for doing absolutely nothing...

When did the apology come? Same day, daytime they were told (not asked)? material difference... Told to leave when they had done nothing... Why were they singled out in the first instance... How many people that didn't look like them (you figure it out) were similarly treated...

How many people that looked exactly like them were similarly treated but did not have the way with all to or the ability to expose this type of behavior?

So yeah I can and will believe what I like in stances like this... Unless proved otherwise that it is what it looks like by inference...
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
It's silly how people will jump to conclusions...

It is silly and that's why the manager apologised. For jumping to conclusions :biggrin:

But I'm guessing you weren't talking about the manager
We still live in a world where racism still exists and affects our communities and people. We've stepped into an age where we can call out acts of discrimination and unearth unconscious racial bias ingrained into everyone by society. To be politely honest, you'll never know how horrible it is to be a potential victim of racial profiling, discrimination or explicit racism unless you're of an ethnic minority yourself. It is sad that worries of not getting a job or being kicked out of a shop because of the colour of your skin still exists :frown:
Original post by david_94
Ofc, and by that logic most whites having a criminal mindset, because most of what I see on TV is white people committing crimes. Earlier I saw a case about a white rapist on TV, I guess most whites have a rapist mindset. I also saw a white murderer on TV, damn why are whites so damn violent.

That of-course is not my attitude towards white people, because God has blessed me with more than one brain-cell. I just enjoy using your victimised white boy logic. In America, the people that commit the most crimes, are guess what, White Americans. In England, the people that commit the most crimes are White Englishmen. Yet idiots like you, sit at home spouting of these foolish racist comments.

How many countries have America and Europe invaded, destroyed their economies, raped their women, committing crimes against humanity for wealth, and you want to stereotype the descendants of all of those victims, as criminal. You want to know what is criminal? Your ignorance, and your privilege.

Lol, typical black intelligence.

White people commit more crimes in England because 80% of the country is white. Go try and research 'per capita' and what it means.

If blacks make up 2% of the population but commit 20% of the crime, clearly the black has a criminal mindset.
Original post by StudentInSociety
We still live in a world where racism still exists and affects our communities and people. We've stepped into an age where we can call out acts of discrimination and unearth unconscious racial bias ingrained into everyone by society. To be politely honest, you'll never know how horrible it is to be a potential victim of racial profiling, discrimination or explicit racism unless you're of an ethnic minority yourself. It is sad that worries of not getting a job or being kicked out of a shop because of the colour of your skin still exists :frown:

Yeah because white people don't suffer from it :rolleyes:
Original post by vnupe
Which one begat the other? Which group had and still holds the economic power?

That is an interesting one. Recently we have been seeing a major shift in economic power from the historically white to the black population as the violence escalates.

The ruling party, the ANC haven't helped matters in fact they made it worse, stoking the fires of hatred. Once a great party now rife with corruption.

I see you didn't get the "White farmers" myth that you expected so you keep pushing. They are all as bad as each other.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by voiceofreason234
Lol, typical black intelligence.

White people commit more crimes in England because 80% of the country is white. Go try and research 'per capita' and what it means.

If blacks make up 2% of the population but commit 20% of the crime, clearly the black has a criminal mindset.

Typical uneducated white intelligence in-fact,

By your ability to read and study a source of information, you have concluded that White British people and Black make up 100% of the UK crimes, lmao. I guess Asians, Eastern Europeans, South Americans and Australians have never committed a criminal offence in the UK? If you re-read the source, which might be difficult for you because you appear to be illiterate, you may see the term BME, which means black minority ethnic, thereby including everyone in the UK who is not identified as White British. Now what you failed to correctly imply is that, '80% of crime committed in Britain is by whites, and 20% by BME groups' that would indeed be very logical, because 80% of Britain is White British, and 20% is Black Minority Ethnic. I guess they don't tell you that on the BNP Website, I'm sure that they try to use as few words and numbers as possible for the small-minded.

What your source also doesn't inform you of, is that BME groups are much more likely to be charged with an offence than their white counterparts, convicted than their white counterparts, are much more likely to be given longer sentences than their white counterparts. And it regards to us black people in the UK, we are 2% of the population, we are 6.6 times more likely to be stopped and search by white people, which would naturally lead to the black community having disproportionate crime rates, and there are some crimes we are more likely to commit than our white counterparts, and yet there are actually more crimes that our white counter-parts our likely to commit than us.

Yet the thing that's most ironic about a great deal of the white population in Britain is, many of you have this ingrained sub-conscious fear of black people, you love to judge us before knowing us, and yet in most parts of the UK, you'll walk or drive past 100 people that are white before you see a black person, so you've already walked past a potential murderer or rapist, potentially smiled at them, held the door open for them. Because at the end of the day, people are criminals, not colours. So sorry to spoil another privileged kids logic 'I am a genius, I left school with 2 GCSE's in general studies, and I spend most of my day reading tabloids'.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 58
We don't know their behavior that made security get suspicious, so we can't really say.
Original post by eoe
Australia is one of the most racist countries in the world......

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, it really isn't. Yeah, I guess they have a bit of a "Politically incorrect" sense of humour sometimes, but it's pretty tolerant for the most part. As it's been said, it's not exactly Russia, South Africa, Zimbabwe or Japan...

Quick Reply

Latest