The Student Room Group

Media studies trailer help? please?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rhythmical
It's interesting and different. It's not a horror film as such, apparently examiners are bored to death with that genre because everyone picks it and does the same thing. I like originality and doing something different. Remember to cover legal and ethical issues, I'm sure you have a lot to talk about that to issue any disclaimers.

yeah, my media studies teacher said that they like something different, do you think I should go with his idea...how will it end though?
Original post by loveleest
yeah, my media studies teacher said that they like something different, do you think I should go with his idea...how will it end though?

Well at the moment, it's possibly the least different, most cliched plot you could imagine - I'm pretty sure it's the same plot they've been recycling for years for the vast majority of horror films. Turn it on it's head. Instead of having somebody's mental illness all mixed up with some odd plot about supernatural entities, subvert and flip to have a mentally ill character save the day.

It's media studies. You can go absolutely anywhere with it and you're choosing the most obvious, most overused and mneh plot you can think of. Take an old plot, flip it and make it yours.

Remove the mental illness from it completely. You don't seem to have a grasp of what it is or why it needs to stop being portrayed in the exact way you want it to be so either research and be sensitive or just leave it alone.
Reply 62
Original post by ParadoxSocks
Well at the moment, it's possibly the least different, most cliched plot you could imagine - I'm pretty sure it's the same plot they've been recycling for years for the vast majority of horror films. Turn it on it's head. Instead of having somebody's mental illness all mixed up with some odd plot about supernatural entities, subvert and flip to have a mentally ill character save the day.

It's media studies. You can go absolutely anywhere with it and you're choosing the most obvious, most overused and mneh plot you can think of. Take an old plot, flip it and make it yours.

Remove the mental illness from it completely. You don't seem to have a grasp of what it is or why it needs to stop being portrayed in the exact way you want it to be so either research and be sensitive or just leave it alone.

hmm, i'll think about that, yeah thank you. ugh just released you kinda contradicted yourself. You said a mentally ill save the day then not to include it at all? :s
(edited 8 years ago)

What you need to do is research. A film may sound great but will it become a hit? Is its release date suitable for the year its released in? Will people protest against it? It's all worth looking into.
Reply 64
Original post by Rhythmical
What you need to do is research. A film may sound great but will it become a hit? Is its release date suitable for the year its released in? Will people protest against it? It's all worth looking into.

I definitely will, You've been so helpful to me, I can only thank you so much <3
I definitely will, You've been so helpful to me, I can only thank you so much <3

Aww no need to thank me, I'm happy to help and always up for a chat on PM. )
hmm, i'll think about that, yeah thank you. ugh just released you kinda contradicted yourself. You said a mentally ill save the day then not to include it at all? :s

If you can't do it correctly then remove it.

They said not to include it at all if you're having trouble portraying it even remotely fairly (which given you seem to be insistent on having the character be mentally ill to justify their behaviour seems to be the case).

If you're wanting to go with the idea you've got you do need to decide between whether it's a supernatural horror with possessions and ghosts or whether it's going to be a commentary on the human condition (and if you're going the latter, you will need to do some research into mental illness beyond 'the strange case of...' and understand that it's not a case of "crazy people stab us sanies".) - at the moment you seem to just shift genres half way through.

If you want to do the latter it'd probably work quite well to twist it as a cautionary tale of how fine a line it is between good mental well-being and mental health issues, but this will require a lot of work and tact, which might be a bit of a problem given you've in essence said your teacher thinks it's fine to demonise the mentally ill by propagating false conceptions of their illnesses.
Reply 68
If you can't do it correctly then remove it.

oh okay, I got you
Reply 69
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
They said not to include it at all if you're having trouble portraying it even remotely fairly (which given you seem to be insistent on having the character be mentally ill to justify their behaviour seems to be the case).

If you're wanting to go with the idea you've got you do need to decide between whether it's a supernatural horror with possessions and ghosts or whether it's going to be a commentary on the human condition (and if you're going the latter, you will need to do some research into mental illness beyond 'the strange case of...' and understand that it's not a case of "crazy people stab us sanies".) - at the moment you seem to just shift genres half way through.

If you want to do the latter it'd probably work quite well to twist it as a cautionary tale of how fine a line it is between good mental well-being and mental health issues, but this will require a lot of work and tact, which might be a bit of a problem given you've in essence said your teacher thinks it's fine to demonise the mentally ill by propagating false conceptions of their illnesses.

ahh okay, thank you!
I dont think that is necessarily the case. I just think he got confused between schizophrenia and personality disorder. Last minute he did tell me to check and I told him that it was personality disorder he meant and not schizophrenia.
But thank you anyway :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
ahh okay, thank you!
I dont think that is necessarily the case. I just think he got confused between schizophrenia and personality disorder. Last minute he did tell me to check and I told him that it was personality disorder he meant and not schizophrenia.
But thank you anyway :smile:

A personality disorder is still a mental illness and should still not be portrayed in a such a way.
Reply 71
A personality disorder is still a mental illness and should still not be portrayed in a such a way.

but it was used in dr jekyll and mr hyde?

I think we're probably slightly better off in regards to our understanding of mental health than we were in 1886.
Reply 73
I think we're probably slightly better off in regards to our understanding of mental health than we were in 1886.

Ok, fair enough, but the character just has a bad side controlling her, which isn't her fault but something that someone cursed on her has a revenge. I don't think it's mocking people with personality disorder in any way.
Ok, fair enough, but the character just has a bad side controlling her, which isn't her fault but something that someone cursed on her has a revenge. I don't think it's mocking people with personality disorder in any way.

But being cursed isn't the same as mental illness.

To say that mental illness and being cursed so you kill people are the same in your story is mocking their disorder and reducing it to something absolutely dreadful. We're at a point in time where positive portrayals of characters is super important if we want to change how they are perceived by society. There's a huge push for disabled actors, trans actors, gay actors and positive storylines about their lives.

So either push the mental illness out and keep the curse (yawn!) or figure out a way to make mental illness a positive part of the story. Do not have the curse and the mental health disorder be the same thing.

Have you actually read the book?

Dr Jekyll tries to make a drug/potion to improve himself and become a better person.
The method is that it releases a character called Mr Hyde, who does all the "Bad" things that the Dr would love to do, but can't.
The theory is that he can be "Hyde" to act as release, but the "Good Dr" for the majority of the time, and become a better person.

It goes wrong as the change becomes permanent, and he is stuck as Hyde, committing suicide.

It's not about possession by devils, or psychological disorders.
It's a story about drug abuse - in modern times the use of LSD was supposed to allow people to become enlightened, but ended up as acid casualties who generally were harmless but some went nuts like Charles Manson.
People on crack can turn hugely violent and withstand tasers and baton hits because they are wired.
RLS wrote it as if the changes were physical. he actually metamorphosed into Hyde.

the nutty teacher/slasher is about as original as the amusement park owner being the bad guy in scooby do.

you need to flip the story.
oh okay, I got you

Why don't you just make it so that she's had a curse been put on her or her father had sold her soul from when she was born and thus growing up the demon erupts from her but when she tries to tell people or get help they think she just has a mental illness and so on.
Reply 77
Original post by domonict
Have you actually read the book?

Dr Jekyll tries to make a drug/potion to improve himself and become a better person.
The method is that it releases a character called Mr Hyde, who does all the "Bad" things that the Dr would love to do, but can't.
The theory is that he can be "Hyde" to act as release, but the "Good Dr" for the majority of the time, and become a better person.

It goes wrong as the change becomes permanent, and he is stuck as Hyde, committing suicide.

It's not about possession by devils, or psychological disorders.
It's a story about drug abuse - in modern times the use of LSD was supposed to allow people to become enlightened, but ended up as acid casualties who generally were harmless but some went nuts like Charles Manson.
People on crack can turn hugely violent and withstand tasers and baton hits because they are wired.
RLS wrote it as if the changes were physical. he actually metamorphosed into Hyde.

the nutty teacher/slasher is about as original as the amusement park owner being the bad guy in scooby do.

you need to flip the story.

hmm, but the teacher only plays a role as she is the main character. There is more to it than that. Plus ive never watched a horror film with a nutty teacher and im a horror film addict...
Reply 78
Original post by Lunch Money
Why don't you just make it so that she's had a curse been put on her or her father had sold her soul from when she was born and thus growing up the demon erupts from her but when she tries to tell people or get help they think she just has a mental illness and so on.

sounds pretty good

Quick Reply

Latest