The Student Room Group

Do you wear a mask?

Obviously, I don't mean a literal mask, but more being able to hide how you are truly feeling when with other people. I, personally cannot do it at all and am always just myself. If I don't feel good, then I show that to others (although people can't really tell cause I am very quiet anyway :colondollar:). I spoke to one of the guys who is a part of my friendship group and he says that he wears a mask basically most days and is not as confident as he comes across. I found this pretty astonishing, but then I realise that many many people do this and it shouldn't be surprising.

To those that do it, do you feel like you need to or is it just a normal reaction for you?

Scroll to see replies

When I was a teenager i used to hide how i was feeling a lot of the time but for the past couple of years i m pretty much an open book now and find that to be much healthier for me to be that way
Reply 2
I wear a real mask as dont like to be identified when out and about.
No. I wear my heart on my sleeve. I'm a very open guy.
I'm not at all forthcoming about my past, my experiences growing up, but unless it would screw me over, I'm totally emotional and unapologetic and I like how it creates this persona of being almost disgraceful and disgusting.
No one cared who I was until I put on a mask
I never thought I did until recently. I was diagnosed bipolar a while ago but my sister thinks I should be checked for borderline personality disorder. I spoke to one of my oldest friends about this and she's adamant that it's ADHD and definitely not bpd. One of my newer uni friends thinks is bpd and definitely not ADHD. I thought I was the 1% who had no mask. :emo: I don't like putting on a mask. I obviously have my secrets and stories of my past that I don't tell anyone, but generally speaking I don't hide myself from anyone. I don't see the point. It's unnecessary. Because I'm like this a lot of people feel comfortable enough to take their own masks off when they're around me so that encourages me to be more like me because it helps others be like me, i.e. more like themselves. Am I rambling now? I feel like I'm rambling.

Everyone does it. People hide themselves. The closer you are to someone, the less you know about them. People talk about wearing masks and hiding themselves like it's the most awesome **** that makes them look so enigmatic and so mysterious and so wow. But it doesn't. It just makes you look like everyone else because everyone else is wearing that very same mask - bland. Be who you are and you'll find people who are worthy of you. The reason you wear a mask is because you don't believe that you're worthy of being you - you think people would be repelled if you were you so you act bland, and therefore you attract bland. This is known as low self-worth, my friends. :u: Get over it. Accept your real personality. Uncover the mask. All the ugliness and the beauty and the rain and the sunshine and the ogres and the unicorns behind your mask are what you have to live with for the rest of your life. If you can't accept it, who exactly do you think will?
Original post by Vixen47
I never thought I did until recently. I was diagnosed bipolar a while ago but my sister thinks I should be checked for borderline personality disorder. I spoke to one of my oldest friends about this and she's adamant that it's ADHD and definitely not bpd. One of my newer uni friends thinks is bpd and definitely not ADHD. I thought I was the 1% who had no mask. :emo: I don't like putting on a mask. I obviously have my secrets and stories of my past that I don't tell anyone, but generally speaking I don't hide myself from anyone. I don't see the point. It's unnecessary. Because I'm like this a lot of people feel comfortable enough to take their own masks off when they're around me so that encourages me to be more like me because it helps others be like me, i.e. more like themselves. Am I rambling now? I feel like I'm rambling.

Everyone does it. People hide themselves. The closer you are to someone, the less you know about them. People talk about wearing masks and hiding themselves like it's the most awesome **** that makes them look so enigmatic and so mysterious and so wow. But it doesn't. It just makes you look like everyone else because everyone else is wearing that very same mask - bland. Be who you are and you'll find people who are worthy of you. The reason you wear a mask is because you don't believe that you're worthy of being you - you think people would be repelled if you were you so you act bland, and therefore you attract bland. This is known as low self-worth, my friends. :u: Get over it. Accept your real personality. Uncover the mask. All the ugliness and the beauty and the rain and the sunshine and the ogres and the unicorns behind your mask are what you have to live with for the rest of your life. If you can't accept it, who exactly do you think will?

but what if being a beautiful disgrace, is the mask?
Original post by The Rad Prince
but what if being a beautiful disgrace, is the mask?

Then well done, you've unlocked level 2.
Original post by MathsAstronomy12

Care to explain a bit more?

Original post by claireestelle
When I was a teenager i used to hide how i was feeling a lot of the time but for the past couple of years i m pretty much an open book now and find that to be much healthier for me to be that way

If people don't like you when you are you, then they can get lost.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GodAtum
I wear a real mask as dont like to be identified when out and about.

Why is this? What are you afraid of?

why has no one repped you for this yet???
I tell people what I'm thinking, sometimes too much. I never just tell people what they want to hear, just can't bring myself to do it - I'm not harsh or blunt (unless you piss me off) and I try and be diplomatic where possible, but if you ask for my opinion, you'll get the truth. Growing up I was always trying to act a certain way so people would like me, whereas now I'm just myself and I couldn't care less if someone doesn't like me, probably means I wouldn't like them anyway. On the whole though, I'm still a likeable guy and quite easy to get on with.

I definitely wear a mask when it comes to feelings and emotions and stuff. If I'm feeling down or having problems then that's the sort of thing I prefer to keep to myself and deal with on my own. Can't stand listening to people moaning about their problems and I don't like feeling as though I'm burdening others with mine and, quite frankly, I don't need their help. My best mate is the opposite and sees me as his go to if he needs a bit of man-to-man advice or a whinge about things as his dad or older brother aren't around much, and I'll always be there for him because we're lifelong friends, if it was anyone else I'd be making my excuses to leave :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SmellyProtein

I would have but PRSOM :frown:
Original post by moment of truth
Care to explain a bit more?

If people don't like you when you are you, then they can get lost.

Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?
Original post by SmellyProtein

Banter isn't appreciated anymore :frown:
I wear a mask but not to hide my emotions. I use it to hide my past. There are things that have happened which I don't like to tell people.
yes majority of the time
Original post by bluemadhatter
yes majority of the time

Why?
Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?

Describe.

Quick Reply

Latest