The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LevCrofts
Hey! God willing I'll see you at interview then!
What A-levels or equiv are you doing?

I'm applying for Oriental Studies at St John's too!:smile: Have you heard anything about interviews yet?
Original post by reenie.stp
I'm applying for Oriental Studies at St John's too!:smile: Have you heard anything about interviews yet?

Im also an orietal studies applicant although I'm applying at Hertford for Chinese :smile: after I got my written work receipt email, it was reaffirmed that interviews will go out no later than one week before te interview dates - for us, those dates are 9-11th December, so interviews will be sent out no later than 2nd December and probably start being handed out in the next week :smile: I haven't seen any Oriental applicants getting interviews yet so it'll be soon!
Original post by Ivoryfall
Im also an orietal studies applicant although I'm applying at Hertford for Chinese :smile: after I got my written work receipt email, it was reaffirmed that interviews will go out no later than one week before te interview dates - for us, those dates are 9-11th December, so interviews will be sent out no later than 2nd December and probably start being handed out in the next week :smile: I haven't seen any Oriental applicants getting interviews yet so it'll be soon!

Hertford is a really nice college! Are you going to take Korean or Japanese in your third and fourth years? I'm intending to take Chinese in my 3/4 years alongside Japanese :smile: At St John's we have to arrive at the college for Oriental Studies on the 7th of December, so for us applying to St John's it would appear a little earlier than at Hertford. Good luck and let me know if you get an interview. Do you have any idea as to what to expect in the interview?

Sorry to butt in, but was trying to work out if I know you, hahah. Are you from the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madsparrow
Sorry to butt in, but was trying to work out if I know you, hahah. Are you from the UK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm from the UK :smile: I live in England. You?
Yeah, I'm from the UK :smile: I live in England. You?

Yeah! From Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire by any chance? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah! From Northamptonshire/Oxfordshire by any chance? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha yeah! Are you?
Haha yeah! Are you?

This isn't Seren by any chance? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
This isn't Seren by any chance? :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

OMG! It so is!! Who is it? I'm so curious now - I literally have no clue. Is it Katie or Laura though, by any chance? :3
OMG! It so is!! Who is it? I'm so curious now - I literally have no clue. Is it Katie or Laura though, by any chance? :3

It's Katie, hahah. I PMed you, cause we're clogging up the thread :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a question. For interviews, there's a "must stay until" and a "may be required to stay until." I'm an international student and I have an exam the day after the latter, thus I vastly prefer to leave after the must stay until mark. What are the chances I will have to stay until the very last minute? Should I buy my ticket for the last day then? Would it hurt my chances if I left after the must?
Original post by amoicavalli
As a reapplicant, I can tell you that it means, that St John's indeed will no longer consider this application. As for other colleges, you find out once you arrive :smile: Hope this helps :smile:

I didnt think this was the case. Admissions info for biochemistry states that you can be made an offer from a separate college than the ones youre interviewed at.
Original post by PollaPulchra197
I'm a Oriel Choral Scholarship Law Applicant - has anyone heard back from Oriel yet?? 😂😂 or about the choral scholarship?

Fellow Oriel law applicant here, hi there! :smile:
Haven't heard anything yet but I'm guessing invitations/rejections might start going out in a week..
Hertford is a really nice college! Are you going to take Korean or Japanese in your third and fourth years? I'm intending to take Chinese in my 3/4 years alongside Japanese :smile: At St John's we have to arrive at the college for Oriental Studies on the 7th of December, so for us applying to St John's it would appear a little earlier than at Hertford. Good luck and let me know if you get an interview. Do you have any idea as to what to expect in the interview?

I'm not entirely sure I'll take a second language depending on how I progress, but if I did it would be Japanese; I lived there for 3 months at an international language school specifically to learn, all be it 10 years ago, and I love it, but I prefer Chinese culture overall, hence my decision to major Chinese initially :smile:

Yeah I went to the Open day at Hertford and fell in love with it; I got to meet the Korean and Japanese tutors who live there and have a virtual 1-2-1 chat with them, which was both awesome and ridiculously overwhelming!

Yes, my email did also say that not all schools would be 100% simultaneous in their interviewing, but certainly it's all about the same time period; the EXACT dating given in my email was from the 7th until the 16th, which is a pretty big span of time, but on the Oxford interview timetable, it gives only 9th till 11th for Oriental studies. Hopefully we'll hear sooner rather than later though! :,)

There's a video on the Oxford website showing a couple of interviews and gives you a good idea of how it operates; also, if rumours are to be believed, expect some slightly abstract questions such as ''what is the difference between a short story and a novel'', which was apparently a genuine question posed to an Oriental studies interviewee at Oxford last cycle!
Original post by gkallikas
I'm applying for medicine at st hughs too! Finally I've found someone

You have good taste in colleges :tongue:
How did you find the BMAT?
I got an interview!!!!
Original post by vildeung
I got an interview!!!!

What course and college?
Original post by vildeung
I got an interview!!!!

What subject? :wink:
Original post by SephiZack
What course and college?

Biochemistry. :-) I was reallocated though: Invited to Queens, but I actually applied to Brasenose.

Latest

Trending

Trending