The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Yes, it is.
Reply 41
Original post by JeremyOU
Actually it would be like the RSPCA condemning rabies, completely unrelated, yeah.

Rabies is directly relevant to animals and so to the RSPCA, ISIS is in no way directly relevant to students and so to the NUS. Seriously, do you think every organization should come out and officially condemn ISIS? Can you not see how ludicrous that is?
Original post by DavidMIliband
The Islamic state is surely islamic? yes ofcourse. All muslims want there to be an islamic state. Wicked and evil, kills people, barbaric and outdated

But while it might be true that ISIS are islamic, this does not necessarily imply that being against it is islamaphobic. The state and the religion might have the belief system in common but what people object to are the barbaric actions undertaken by the state. These actions are clearly not intrinsic to Islam as the majority of muslims around the world don't commit them.
Original post by lucaf
Rabies is directly relevant to animals and so to the RSPCA, ISIS is in no way directly relevant to students and so to the NUS. Seriously, do you think every organization should come out and officially condemn ISIS? Can you not see how ludicrous that is?

Is directly target students, and it is within the NUS remit to consider issues affecting students. Including radicalisation of students by militant groups. Seriously how is it not related?
Reply 44
Original post by JeremyOU
Is directly target students, and it is within the NUS remit to consider issues affecting students. Including radicalisation of students by militant groups. Seriously how is it not related?

Come on, the NUS has a massively inflated sense of its own importance. You just have the usual pompous student politicians, each with an eye on the greasy pole (university politics, then a job as an adviser to an MP or minister, then parachuted into a safe seat).

It is faintly ludicrous that the NUS thinks their condemnation, or lack thereof, has any actual relevance in the real world. And condemning, or not, the US airstrikes has no actual effect on student radicalisation.

What might have some success in tackling student radicalisation is the Prevent strategy and the new counter-extremism policies promulgated by universities. As it happens, both of those elements are being pursued in the teeth of vicious opposition from the NUS

The NUS is a joke. Their motion condemning gay men for "acting like black women" simply underlines how farcical and detached from reality they are
Is it against Christianity to hate WBC?
Original post by sw651
Then theoretically it is not a 'phobia' a phobia is an irrational fear of something biologically speaking. Surely it is anti-Islamist?

Not necessarily irrational. You can have rational and irrational fears. So.... a fear of death, or someone with a knife is rational. A fear of house spiders is irrational.
Reply 47
The question is stupid. Muslims around the world have repeatedly said that ISIS does not represent Muslims. ISIS is to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity. If you think that being anti-KKK is being anti-Christian then you have your answer. As a Muslim, I can assure you that myself and my Muslim friends and family members are completely opposed to ISIS in the same way that everyone else is.

Muslims aren't terrorists, thus, it is not Islamophobic to hate ISIS, a group that does not represent Islam
(edited 5 years ago)
You're either Islamophobic or a terrorist.
Original post by sw651
I don't think so, they follow various passages of the Quran but not all of it as such I do not think they can be considered 'Islamic' so to speak.

They follow the Qu'ran more devoutly and literally than the majority of muslims...
Original post by monchoo
The question is stupid. Muslims around the world have repeatedly said that ISIS does not represent Muslims. ISIS is to Islam what the KKK is to Christianity. If you think that being anti-KKK is being anti-Christian then you have your answer. As a Muslim, I can assure you that myself and my Muslim friends and family members are completely opposed to ISIS in the same way that everyone else is.

Muslims aren't terrorists, thus, it is not Islamophobic to hate ISIS, a group that does not represent Islam

Doesn't represent all of Islam*
Definitely not. As a Muslim, I don't agree with anything isis does, as it goes against the basic principles of Islam
I'm a muslim (and almost all the people I know) and we are all anti ISIS.

ISIS is just a name they called themselves and doesn't represent Islam in any way
Original post by That'sGreat
They follow the Qu'ran more devoutly and literally than the majority of muslims...

Swear I see this guy on all political threads spreading negativity 🤔
Reply 54
Doesn't represent all of Islam*

It incorrectly represents each and every part of Islam
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 55
Your logic is completely flawed. This can be applied to all religions where terrorism is being carried out in the name of the religion. e.g Buddhists carrying out genocide in Myanmar. I guess if you don’t support them then you’re anti Buddhist all together and if you do then you’re a terrorist
Original post by JinChang
You're either Islamophobic or a terrorist.
Original post by FTheOpps
Swear I see this guy on all political threads spreading negativity 🤔

Sorry, but the world isn't all dandies and roses. If you wanted to read happy stories all the time, maybe this would be more suitable for you.
Original post by monchoo
It incorrectly represents each and every part of Islam

Except the bits where it advocates violence and oppression
Except the bits where it advocates violence and oppression

Islam never advocates violence, in quran there is always: if they (the disbelievers) fight then fight them, and if they stop then stop. There is never go fight someone without a trigger
Original post by CuriosityYay
Islam never advocates violence, in quran there is always: if they (the disbelievers) fight then fight them, and if they stop then stop. There is never go fight someone without a trigger

The West have been fighting in the Middle East for years.
The West have been fighting in the Middle East for years.

I'm 16 so please give me a bit of background, do you mean like America and Russia fighting in Iraq for the oil for example?

Latest

Trending

Trending