The Student Room Group

Classical civilisation?

So next year I'm planning on taking Maths, Biology, and Chemistry at a-level, but I need a fourth subject. I was thinking Classical Civilisation because it will show that universities that I have a wide range of interests. I'm not quite sure if it will work like that and was wondering it its worth taking?
I'm planning on doing Classical Civilisation too (as well as my French, English Language and Drama and Theatre Studies choices), and I was told that it's definitely something to try, even if you have absolutely no interest in history at all, but think you may be an inkling interested in, say, Athenians or Romans or something.

If you think you may want to do it, I say go for it, and it's definitely something that shows the universities you do have more interests, as you say, than directly doing the sciences.
Classical Civilisation has many transferable skills into other academic areas such as essay writing and how to be analytic. I am doing my A2 year and it is such an interesting course that challenges you and improves you. It's good for being able to contextualise different subjects and yes there is the added bonus that it does look good as you have a range of qualifications. I would recommend it highly. It's something different and incredibly interesting.
The course has also helped me grow more confident and improved verbal skills through presentations etc. I think it is very worth while :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by amberwilliams13
So next year I'm planning on taking Maths, Biology, and Chemistry at a-level, but I need a fourth subject. I was thinking Classical Civilisation because it will show that universities that I have a wide range of interests. I'm not quite sure if it will work like that and was wondering it its worth taking?

Do so only if you like that stuff idk if its the same everywhere but at my school we did some stuff on Greece and Pompeii stuff like that but we also had to study the Odysessy (still cant spell it XD) and it the course work is hell -_- I swear I'm sick of comparing the ancient Olympics and the modern one XD but by all means don't let me stop you it can be really interesting and fun you just have to do a lot of essay writing as well but if u don't mind that then go for it the learning side is really interesting its like latin but without all that annoying latin XD ^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending