The Student Room Group

How does French grading work?

Hello,

I am doing French G.C.S.E. at the moment and I need an A*. I am hoping to get A*s on both writing and speaking because they are the easier ones (you can just memorise a text),but I don't know what the lowest I can get on the reading and listening are in order to get an A* for the whole of French.

Do I have to get all A*s for every exam to get an A* for French or can I get an A on one or two? Will an A for one paper bring down my overall grade?

Also, do you have any tips for reading/listening revision (common words etc...)?

Thanks a lot,

- Anne Ominous
Reply 1
Original post by AnneOminous
Hello,

I am doing French G.C.S.E. at the moment and I need an A*. I am hoping to get A*s on both writing and speaking because they are the easier ones (you can just memorise a text),but I don't know what the lowest I can get on the reading and listening are in order to get an A* for the whole of French.

Do I have to get all A*s for every exam to get an A* for French or can I get an A on one or two? Will an A for one paper bring down my overall grade?

All GCSEs have the same UMS grade boundaries - 90% for an A*, 80-89.9 for an A etc). What matters is your total mark, not the individual unit grades.

For modern languages, the speaking and writing are worth 30% of the GCSE each, the reading and listening exams are 20% each. I'll use the numbers from AQA (the most popular exam board) but the principle is the same for all boards.

The speaking and writing each have a max UMS mark of 90 (if you are on AQA I know there are 2 bits to each of the speaking and writing with a max raw mark of 30 each but they convert the raw marks into UMS, with a max of 90)

Each exam is out of 60, so the whole GCSE is out of 90+90+60+60=300. You need 90% UMS for an A* in any GCSE, so that's 270/300. It doesn't matter how you get that 270 - it could be 54+54+81+81 (a*a*a*a*) or 30+60+90+90 (da*a*a*), if you get at least 270/300UMS you will get an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest