The Student Room Group

Asian/Muslim teens - are you allowed to live away for uni?

I don't even want to live away for uni but because my father doesn't want me to it kind of makes me want to lol. Don't get me wrong, my father isn't one of those stereotypical pakistani dads who are strict he is actually kinda cool and laid back and we have interesting debates about stuff like this and I feel like he just doesn't want me to live away because he's just overprotective which is understandable. Also maybe because he is afraid I'll get mixed up with the wrong crowd and lose my deen which I have to tell him that ain't happening because all through secondary school I haven't succumbed to peer pressure once. Anyway my question is are your parents fully on board with you living away for uni?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No not really but it's not up to them. Even if I wanted to live away from home and they didn't agree, It wouldn't stop me from living away. They allow me to make my own decisions and they know it's not up to them.
Reply 2
Original post by EastGuava
No, backward parents are the best :biggrin:

LOL :biggrin: but my parents aren't backwards, my dad is just scared I think
Reply 3
Original post by AzimH
No not really but it's not up to them. Even if I wanted to live away from home and they didn't agree, It wouldn't stop me from living away. They allow me to make my own decisions and they know it's not up to them.

Are you a dude?
Reply 4
Original post by safiyyah98
Are you a dude?

Last time I checked, yup!
Reply 5
Who's deen and why might he get lost?
Reply 6
I'm Pakistani too, my sister lives abroad at Uni as does my brother and my parents seem to have no problem with it.
Original post by JC.

Dead.
my dad seems to be fine with it (but i havent even gone yet haha)
Reply 9
Original post by JC.

Deen means faith in Arabic.
I don't even want to live away for uni but because my father doesn't want me to it kind of makes me want to lol. Don't get me wrong, my father isn't one of those stereotypical pakistani dads who are strict he is actually kinda cool and laid back and we have interesting debates about stuff like this and I feel like he just doesn't want me to live away because he's just overprotective which is understandable. Also maybe because he is afraid I'll get mixed up with the wrong crowd and lose my deen which I have to tell him that ain't happening because all through secondary school I haven't succumbed to peer pressure once. Anyway my question is are your parents fully on board with you living away for uni?

Same as my parents. Although I've applied to uni's which are around 250 miles away so I can't exactly commute :smile:
My dad would let me live away if he knew the education i was getting was very good, but if it was not then no/ :frown:
Reply 12
My parents wanted me to apply to universities in London (where I live) but I wanted to move out
In the end we agreed on 3 in London and 2 out
Parents said no plus my grades weren't that great either... but if i did get good grades, i would move away for uni :biggrin: and just break the news on results day lool.
My parents know I applied to two out of London unis and they seem okay with it. But I think they want me to stay in London because they think it's easier, but if I told them I would go I don't think they'd have a problem with it.
Muslim girl and from Bangaldesh- nope, my paremts want me to go to the uk for uni just as much as i do, probably more haha simce my dad and brpther studied there 😊

hahah my parents also want me to live at home
My parents are ok with me living away probably cause all my cousins are away from home at uni so they're thankfully alrite with it
Reply 18
Im Pakistani and although my father definitely fits the stereotypical desk father mould, he wants us to do well education wise so although he would PREFER me to be near my house in the UK (He lives in Pakistan) Theres definitely no problem with me living away. As far as seen is concerned the way I see it is that, listen, you can tell a person alot of things, what not to do etc but ultimately it boils down to that person and that personal alone. If you have acquired certain morals and values, they are the things that will protect you and guide you, no matter how much someone tells you not to go in a certain group etc or indulge in certain activities.
Reply 19
Desi*
Original post by Ruby17
Im Pakistani and although my father definitely fits the stereotypical desi father mould, he wants us to do well education wise so although he would PREFER me to be near my house in the UK (He lives in Pakistan) Theres definitely no problem with me living away. As far as seen is concerned the way I see it is that, listen, you can tell a person alot of things, what not to do etc but ultimately it boils down to that person and that personal alone. If you have acquired certain morals and values, they are the things that will protect you and guide you, no matter how much someone tells you not to go in a certain group etc or indulge in certain activities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending