The Student Room Group

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?

Poll

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?

You're now in charge of the UK's university funding policy. Congratulations!

Your first decision is to set the ceiling for university tuition fees. So what's the new limit?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That depends. What %age do I get in a brown envelope? And do I get an honorary doctorate? And do I get invited to all those posh dinners?
No fees at all. It would be completely feasible if only academically capable people went to uni and if you didn't need a degree for everything these days.
Reply 3
Original post by shooks
You're now in charge of the UK's university funding policy. Congratulations!

Your first decision is to set the ceiling for university tuition fees. So what's the new limit?

I don't think I'd be interested in establishing a ceiling. I'd allow market forces to set the fees - supply and demand.
You get paid.

:angel:
Reply 5
Original post by driftawaay
No fees at all. It would be completely feasible if only academically capable people went to uni and if you didn't need a degree for everything these days.

The problem is that a "no fees" policy would lead to more and more people matriculating and later graduating which is only going to perpetuate the problem of degree inflation. Anything that is free tends to be exploited and over-used.
Original post by Howard
The problem is that a "no fees" policy would lead to more and more people matriculating and later graduating which is only going to perpetuate the problem of degree inflation. Anything that is free tends to be exploited and over-used.

No, anybody who wants to go to uni will go to uni right now as they dont have to pay fees upfront, and as I said, we could afford to have no fees if entry requirements were higher and there were fewer courses and universities like before ex polys became unis.
Seeing as this is an online poll, over 9000. Badum-tish.
3,000 seems reasonable, 9,000+ is rather ridiculous imo given how uni students don't actually attend uni all the time (4 months off in summer and such)
Simple, no limit, let it operate in a much freer market as opposed to setting arbitrary limits.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by driftawaay
No, anybody who wants to go to uni will go to uni right now as they dont have to pay fees upfront, and as I said, we could afford to have no fees if entry requirements were higher and there were fewer courses and universities like before ex polys became unis.

Are there any countries that have a "no fees" policy? Would you extend your idea to free accommodation and non repayable living allowances as well?
Reply 11
Original post by Jammy Duel
Simple, no limit, let it operate in a much freer market

I agree with this. Let the market decide.
I'm not even sure. I mean, how the hell are universities managed and lectures paid? Pardon my ignorance if these are answerable but I just don't see why ANYONE would come and honestly say free. It's even better being at 3k. I'd like to find out what research didn't cost anyone a dime!
(edited 8 years ago)
Why should the tax payer pay for someones degree, especially one that doesn't benefit our country
3-6K, rising in line with inflation (or deflation)
Original post by CoolCavy
3,000 seems reasonable, 9,000+ is rather ridiculous imo given how uni students don't actually attend uni all the time (4 months off in summer and such)

Spoiler

Reply 16
Original post by Jammy Duel
Simple, no limit, let it operate in a much freer market as opposed to setting arbitrary limits.

What like in America? That's worked really well hasn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Imperion

Spoiler

true but we would have to pay more if we studied in another country i think? :s-smilie:
Original post by Howard
Are there any countries that have a "no fees" policy? Would you extend your idea to free accommodation and non repayable living allowances as well?

Yes, Germany and the Nordic countries have no tuition fees , and Hungary has a system where you pay no fees if you meet the entry requirements. You can still get on the same course if you don't meet the grade requirement but you have to get a tuition fee loan.
(I don't know how this is relevant to the discussion)

We already had non repayable living allowances in the UK up until 4 seconds ago.
Original post by CoolCavy

That's what I paid, and I got grants :angel:

I'm so old :sigh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending