The Student Room Group

Asian/Muslim teens - are you allowed to live away for uni?

Scroll to see replies

My Parents allow me to study away from home. Generally speaking there are a lot less opportunities for you to flourish in your field of choice if you are limited to studying within the area to which you live in. There may be better universities elsewhere, which would allow you to get a better degree and therefore more likely to get the job you want. My friend studied at UWE with 1 A* and 2A's at A level. Uwe is in Bristol and he lives in Bristol, so the only reason he went to uwe was because it was local (he would've opted for Bristol Uni but they don't offer his course). He studies there for 3 months and dropped out as he regretted his decision and thought he can get a much better education elsewhere. He now studies at kings and he's really happy about his decision.

Sometimes limiting the area in which you are able to study at can possibly affect your ability to get a better job in the future. You can easily make friends elsewhere and have an enjoying experience at other Universities. If you do get into a better University and its elsewhere you should always go for that in order to better your life in the long term.

Sorry if I was vague but I hope I helped you in some way :smile:
Mum- "I don't want you to go to university far away just go to Kings College London!" (I don't even want to go KCL)

Dad- "I haven't got too much of a problem with you moving away as long as you get high grades at A2 and you might want to consider going abroad for uni because uni here in the UK is a f u c king ripoff. And don't go to Sheffield or Nottingham for university. They're very dodgy places and you'll die. Go for Southampton instead because it's clean!"

Different opinions but tbh that won't stop me from moving out to Southampton/Nottingham/Sheffield/abroad
Original post by safiyyah98
Can I ask, is everyone applying for uni to start in September 2016? If so what do you want to study and where have you applied to?

Yeah I'm applying for September 2016. I applied for Law LLB, and applied to Manchester, Southampton, SOAS, UCL and City university
Reply 43
Original post by kamranhyder
My Parents allow me to study away from home. Generally speaking there are a lot less opportunities for you to flourish in your field of choice if you are limited to studying within the area to which you live in. There may be better universities elsewhere, which would allow you to get a better degree and therefore more likely to get the job you want. My friend studied at UWE with 1 A* and 2A's at A level. Uwe is in Bristol and he lives in Bristol, so the only reason he went to uwe was because it was local (he would've opted for Bristol Uni but they don't offer his course). He studies there for 3 months and dropped out as he regretted his decision and thought he can get a much better education elsewhere. He now studies at kings and he's really happy about his decision.

Sometimes limiting the area in which you are able to study at can possibly affect your ability to get a better job in the future. You can easily make friends elsewhere and have an enjoying experience at other Universities. If you do get into a better University and its elsewhere you should always go for that in order to better your life in the long term.

Sorry if I was vague but I hope I helped you in some way :smile:

No that was really helpful, thanks :smile: I completely agree, we have to do whats best for our education. Are you at uni now?
Reply 44
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Mum- "I don't want you to go to university far away just go to Kings College London!" (I don't even want to go KCL)

Dad- "I haven't got too much of a problem with you moving away as long as you get high grades at A2 and you might want to consider going abroad for uni because uni here in the UK is a f u c king ripoff. And don't go to Sheffield or Nottingham for university. They're very dodgy places and you'll die. Go for Southampton instead because it's clean!"

Different opinions but tbh that won't stop me from moving out to Southampton/Nottingham/Sheffield/abroad

LMAO great illustrative example hahaha :biggrin: Just do what you gotta do
Reply 45
Original post by yusraali
Yeah I'm applying for September 2016. I applied for Law LLB, and applied to Manchester, Southampton, SOAS, UCL and City university

Wow awesome! I'm applying for child nursing at Wolverhampton, BCU, uni of Birmingham, Manchester and Salford
LMAO great illustrative example hahaha :biggrin: Just do what you gotta do

Asian kid problems
Reply 47
Original post by Shostakovish
My parents couldn't care less about this - I have applied to Belfast.

My cousins are all scattered around Europe - it never really mattered in my family.

DAMN check you out haha! Thats great, you gotta give me tips to persuade my dad lmao
Reply 48
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Asian kid problems

Story of my life :biggrin:
Reply 49
After a few grumbles here and there, they accepted that i will leave
Thats so luckyy lol, I just want to experience being by myself you know?

Yeaah I know what you mean maybe you could reason with them and explain to your dad you're acting to be away for educational purposes only not anything else?
Reply 51
Original post by MHI
After a few grumbles here and there, they accepted that i will leave

Lol SUCCESS!
Reply 52
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
Yeaah I know what you mean maybe you could reason with them and explain to your dad you're acting to be away for educational purposes only not anything else?

I think he understands all that he's just overprotective, I need to get him to chill bout that and make him realise i'm almost an adult :biggrin: lol
my mum kicked me out so many times as a teen so ye lol
Reply 54
Original post by King Mal
my mum kicked me out so many times as a teen so ye lol

what?
why
lol
Original post by eoe
what?
why
lol

erm i will vm u
My family generally would like me to stay home, as there's a very prestigious university here that'd be perfectly fine for what I'd like to do. Also, letting like 5 siblings go outside for uni costs quite a bit.

Although if I got invited to Oxbridge or another good uni, my familywould support me in a heartbeat
loool nah g my mum prolly did dis

mum.png
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by King Mal
erm i will vm u

And me? I'm nosy to find out lol
I don't even want to live away for uni but because my father doesn't want me to it kind of makes me want to lol. Don't get me wrong, my father isn't one of those stereotypical pakistani dads who are strict he is actually kinda cool and laid back and we have interesting debates about stuff like this and I feel like he just doesn't want me to live away because he's just overprotective which is understandable. Also maybe because he is afraid I'll get mixed up with the wrong crowd and lose my deen which I have to tell him that ain't happening because all through secondary school I haven't succumbed to peer pressure once. Anyway my question is are your parents fully on board with you living away for uni?

Hey saffiyah i will he most likely to be moving out if i go to uni my mum is very supportive of this and wants me to.do well i think its ur dad being too overprotective tell him that he can see u on skype or facetime what u applying for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending