The Student Room Group

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rhiannonm25
No fees in Scotland is the best thing, I don't think id be able to afford going to uni if it wasn't free.. Neither would some of my friends. I think we are incredibly lucky

Everyone can afford it, you get loans which cover the costs.
Reply 41
Original post by shooks
You're now in charge of the UK's university funding policy. Congratulations!

Your first decision is to set the ceiling for university tuition fees. So what's the new limit?

£3000.

Also increase the funding for living costs so that working class kids aren't put off because they feel like they can't afford it. Put a cap on the amount universities can charge for their cheapest single occupancy accommodation. For some universities it is ridiculously expensive. A room in a shared flat with a shared bathroom and kitchen should not cost more than £100 per week. If a university chooses to have only ensuite accommodation, the cap stands at £100.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by TeeEm
Free for traditional academic degrees ....
Around £10000 without funding from the taxpayer in the form of student loans for anything else.

the reason fees came in was the funding of all these Mickey Mouse degrees that sprung up in the last 20 years or so

Micky Mouse degrees like what? Early childhood studies that trains people for the early years workforce?

Don't forget that vocational degrees have a higher employment rate than traditional academic degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Howard
The problem is that a "no fees" policy would lead to more and more people matriculating and later graduating which is only going to perpetuate the problem of degree inflation. Anything that is free tends to be exploited and over-used.

However surely we should not be accepting people into university based on how much money they have, we should accept them on their academic capability. If low fees leads to the problem of to high degree inflation, then we should tighten entry requirements. There are people of very intelligent and degree deserving people who may not be able to afford to go to uni and many undeserving oafs who will just buy there way in.
Reply 44
Original post by Katty3
Micky Mouse degrees like what? Early childhood studies that trains people for the early years workforce?

Don't forget that vocational degrees have a higher employment rate than traditional academic degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then you pay for it because as a taxpayer do not wish to pay for these.
Higher.
Original post by Katty3

Posted from TSR Mobile

Gender Studies.
Original post by rhiannonm25
No fees in Scotland is the best thing, I don't think id be able to afford going to uni if it wasn't free.. Neither would some of my friends. I think we are incredibly lucky

However in comparison to the rest of the UK higher education is dropping in terms of quality in Scotland. Anyone can afford to go to uni as you only pay back the loan if you can afford to do that.
Reply 48
Original post by United1892
Gender Studies.

I thought that was an extra-curriculum activity!
Original post by Simes
I thought that was an extra-curriculum activity!

It's a masters option at several unis as it turns out so not undergraduate. But still.
Lower tuition fees =:
- Less funding for universities --> lower quality of pretty much everything
- Less competitive --> anyone can get a degree if they're not as good because universities will be desperate to take anyone that'll pay
- Courses are more crowded because they need more people to get the same amount of funding.

Plus, people for whom it matters probably won't end up paying their student loan back anyway, so it's really nothing to worry about. The government are pretty much still paying for it all anyway.
Original post by Spoderman14
Lower tuition fees =:
- Less competitive --> anyone can get a degree if they're not as good because universities will be desperate to take anyone that'll pay
- Courses are more crowded because they need more people to get the same amount of funding.

Plus, people for whom it matters probably won't end up paying their student loan back anyway, so it's really nothing to worry about. The government are pretty much still paying for it all anyway.

Nice name
Original post by Spoderman14
Lower tuition fees =:

Not really it generally means the general taxpayer funds it rather than the students.
Reply 53
Original post by TeeEm
Then you pay for it because as a taxpayer do not wish to pay for these.

What about people who can't afford to pay for it because they come from working class families.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whatever it costs really. Doesn't make a difference to me if it is how it is now or more similar to the nordic countries or Germany as long as we don't adopt the American system of tuition fees and funding.
Reply 55
Original post by Katty3
What about people who can't afford to pay for it because they come from working class families.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Academic degrees should be free (they always were)

If you want to do a degree in Turf-grass Science, or Dairy Herd Management, or Football Studies etc and you come from a poor family then you simply do not do them.

I cannot see why the tax payer has to fund these.

(by the way the ridiculous sounding degrees I mention above are not made up ... they exist and the taxpayer pays for students to do these)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 56
£3,000 would be fair, £1,000 per term. This sum would be an incentive to study and do well, it is still a loan, and not too overboard in strangling you with a huge debt before you start working.

Also, lets be honest, is uni really worth more per term, you virtually self teach yourself and you are only looking at 6 months of study time per academic year anyway, after you take away the Christmas and Easter months and then June to September.
Reply 57
Original post by TeeEm
Academic degrees should be free (they always were)

If you want to do a degree in Turf-grass Science, or Dairy Herd Management, or Football Studies etc and you come from a poor family then you simply do not do them.

I cannot see why the tax payer has to fund these.

(by the way the ridiculous sounding degrees I mention above are not made up ... they exist and the taxpayer pays for student to do these)

Those are probably modules. It is very unfair to dismiss all poor kids (who are the most unlikely to go to university anyway) from doing what you consider "unworthy" degrees.

These could include early years education public health.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Free for STEM, 3k for semi-good degrees like English, History and 9k for mickey-mouse- music and the sort.
Also grants for better unis i.e: top 10 unis for a course all get 2k free scholarship.
Reply 59
Original post by RiskVsReward
Free for STEM, 3k for semi-good degrees like English, History and 9k for mickey-mouse- music and the sort.
Also grants for better unis i.e: top 10 unis for a course all get 2k free scholarship.

Top 10 by what measurement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending