The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I am in Year 11, and stuck choosing my A-Levels.

I am interested in basically every subject that I do, but think that I may be interested in doing something in Physics or Maths. Because of this, I think that a good selection of A-Levels would be Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, but I would love more choice so may want to swap Further Maths with French or German to add variety. I am wondering if this would be too detrimental to my chances of possibly getting into a Russell Group university to study something like Physics or Maths, but would really like the extra variety.

I do not think that I would add French or German on as an extra subject because that would be too much, but just to leave the option open, is there anyone doing five A-Levels including Further Maths who would like to tell me about their experience?

Just for information, I am predicted A*s in all of the listed subjects (no pressure :frown:), so that will not make a difference until I receive my actual results.

Please help. Thank you! :smile: :smile: :smile:
Original post by Bulbasaur10
I am in Year 11, and stuck choosing my A-Levels.

I am interested in basically every subject that I do, but think that I may be interested in doing something in Physics or Maths. Because of this, I think that a good selection of A-Levels would be Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics, but I would love more choice so may want to swap Further Maths with French or German to add variety. I am wondering if this would be too detrimental to my chances of possibly getting into a Russell Group university to study something like Physics or Maths, but would really like the extra variety.

I do not think that I would add French or German on as an extra subject because that would be too much, but just to leave the option open, is there anyone doing five A-Levels including Further Maths who would like to tell me about their experience?

Just for information, I am predicted A*s in all of the listed subjects (no pressure :frown:), so that will not make a difference until I receive my actual results.

Please help. Thank you! :smile: :smile: :smile:

Maths FM and Physics are ideal for a Maths/Physics degree, but Chemistry is not really needed, perhaps do French or German instead of Chemistry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ben4
Maths FM and Physics are ideal for a Maths/Physics degree, but Chemistry is not really needed, perhaps do French or German instead of Chemistry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I am just so indecisive that I don't know if I will even want to drop anything :tongue:.
Thank you for telling me about that though, I didn't know initially! :smile:
Yes, I think that would be a good idea. I am just so indecisive that I don't know if I will even want to drop anything :tongue:.
Thank you for telling me about that though, I didn't know initially! :smile:

Thats okay! You can either do that or perhaps do Chemistry and learn a language in your free time? Its all a matter of what subject you enjoy and which subject you think you can get the highest grade in :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was like you. I chose maths, physics, chemistry and french. Don't be afraid to take a language if you have a flair for it.
As someone who did 5 AS levels, I really wouldn't recommend it. Most if not all universities don't consider extra qualifications beyond what they ask for, and it's better to do excellently in fewer subjects. I just did regular maths (alongside chem, bio, physics and history) and found it was a *lot* of content, so I imagine further maths would be more of the same? (You may be better at managing your time than me though, so don't take this as gospel haha).

In terms of your subject choice doing french/german as one of them might be a good idea - gives you a break from science/maths based stuff for a while and if it's something you really enjoy it helps. Also shows some versatility on your uni application as you'll be using different skills. Otherwise it's worth doing some research and seeing what subjects the unis ask for for the degrees you're interested in (some may be more flexible than others).

Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by lightwoXd
As someone who did 5 AS levels, I really wouldn't recommend it. Most if not all universities don't consider extra qualifications beyond what they ask for, and it's better to do excellently in fewer subjects. I just did regular maths (alongside chem, bio, physics and history) and found it was a *lot* of content, so I imagine further maths would be more of the same? (You may be better at managing your time than me though, so don't take this as gospel haha).

In terms of your subject choice doing french/german as one of them might be a good idea - gives you a break from science/maths based stuff for a while and if it's something you really enjoy it helps. Also shows some versatility on your uni application as you'll be using different skills. Otherwise it's worth doing some research and seeing what subjects the unis ask for for the degrees you're interested in (some may be more flexible than others).

Hope this helps! :smile:

I really do enjoy languages, but I don't know if I am willing to drop Chemistry. I know other people who want to do FM, Maths, Chem and Phys, and am wondering if they would have an advantage over me for doing another science? Although I definitely agree that an MFL would help me to stand out, and I would really enjoy taking one to A-Level. Perhaps it is a lesser known combination too.
I really do enjoy languages, but I don't know if I am willing to drop Chemistry. I know other people who want to do FM, Maths, Chem and Phys, and am wondering if they would have an advantage over me for doing another science? Although I definitely agree that an MFL would help me to stand out, and I would really enjoy taking one to A-Level. Perhaps it is a lesser known combination too.

3 Sciences/Maths subjects are the most universities ask for in terms of subject choice. Maths, Further Maths and Physics count as three, I'd say that these subjects along with another would be good. Showing you have an interest in Science outside of lessons could probably make up for not doing Chemistry. You can always change your subjects in the first 2 weeks of 6th form/college if you decide otherwise. That's something to consider as well.

this depends on what you want to study beyond a level and where. If you want to study Maths at a leading university you would be well advised to take further maths. otherwise Maths on its own is acceptable to many universities. Durham for example wont consider you for their Maths course without Further Maths and unis like Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick and Bath all prefer further mathds
Do you think that universities would prefer a subject combination of French/German, Physics, Chemistry and Maths; or French/German, FM, Maths and Physics, for a Physics degree? Perhaps the more varied nature of the former, with another science subject too, would outweigh the benefits of FM, or would it? I think I would enjoy FM a lot, since I am loving GCSE/Level 2 Further Maths right now (I know FM is a huge step up at A-Level but don't consider that a turn-off), but I would really rather have more variety in my choices....
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally think you would be better with Chemistry Physics Maths and Further Maths and forgetting the language. This would open up more courses like Maths Physics Chemistry Pharmacy and Engineering to you in year 13
Original post by swanseajack1
I personally think you would be better with Chemistry Physics Maths and Further Maths and forgetting the language. This would open up more courses like Maths Physics Chemistry Pharmacy and Engineering to you in year 13

I think I just may go with this, and do something with a language outside of school. :smile:
I have exactly the same problem but I'm going with maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I am going to study French and Spanish in my spare time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BobbiBlue
I have exactly the same problem but I'm going with maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. I am going to study French and Spanish in my spare time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think that would be a good idea. I know that it is possible to do courses outside of school to get some sort of qualification, and I would just see that as something to do in my free time.
Original post by richpanda
I was like you. I chose maths, physics, chemistry and french. Don't be afraid to take a language if you have a flair for it.

How are you finding it now? Do you enjoy your subjects (assuming that you are still in Sixth Form?) and what are you planning to do in the future? I think I would really enjoy that subject combination, and personally would think that it is better than doing FM, but it really depends on what exactly I would like to do. I know that I would love to do FM too, but I cannot face doing any more subjects!
:smile:
How are you finding it now? Do you enjoy your subjects (assuming that you are still in Sixth Form?) and what are you planning to do in the future? I think I would really enjoy that subject combination, and personally would think that it is better than doing FM, but it really depends on what exactly I would like to do. I know that I would love to do FM too, but I cannot face doing any more subjects!
:smile:

I still like my subjects:smile:My advice to you on FM, is how good are you at maths really? If you are someone who is very naturally gifted, I think you could do 5 AS levels. Also, remind me of which specific university courses you are interested in?
I still like my subjects:smile:My advice to you on FM, is how good are you at maths really? If you are someone who is very naturally gifted, I think you could do 5 AS levels. Also, remind me of which specific university courses you are interested in?

Well, I think I am reasonably good at Maths. I am predicted an A* in GCSE Maths and have achieved that in my mocks last year. I am also doing Further Maths Level 2 as well, which I am really enjoying and seem to be doing well at.

Courses I am interested are mostly centred around Physics, but I like so many subjects that this could change in time!

:smile: I do not think that I would be willing to do 5AS levels though, and may end up doing four, and a language outside of school. (Yes I know that there is a huge jump to A-Level from GCSE Maths, but doing Further Maths gives me a little bit of a buffer between them, and I am interested in Maths enough to study hard)
(edited 8 years ago)
Well, I think I am reasonably good at Maths. I am predicted an A* in GCSE Maths and have achieved that in my mocks last year. I am also doing Further Maths Level 2 as well, which I am really enjoying and seem to be doing well at.

Courses I am interested are mostly centred around Physics, but I like so many subjects that this could change in time!

:smile: I do not think that I would be willing to do 5AS levels though, and may end up doing four, and a language outside of school. (Yes I know that there is a huge jump to A-Level from GCSE Maths, but doing Further Maths gives me a little bit of a buffer between them, and I am interested in Maths enough to study hard)

Look at degrees/jobs that you are interested in. I would say that further maths will help you with your degree, a language will help you find a job. It's up to you to decide, but think about how good 'business level German/French' sounds on a CV, especially if you will be in a job where there is lots of international collaboration
Look at degrees/jobs that you are interested in. I would say that further maths will help you with your degree, a language will help you find a job. It's up to you to decide, but think about how good 'business level German/French' sounds on a CV, especially if you will be in a job where there is lots of international collaboration

I know. :smile: That, apart from my huge enjoyment of doing languages, is one of my main pulls towards them. Even if I don't do an A-Level in one, I will consider doing a similar qualification outside of school. That way I will see it as an extra-curricular activity, and as I don't do that many at the moment, it will be very beneficial.

Quick Reply

Latest