The Student Room Group

How are looks and intelligence distributed?

I used to think looks and intelligence kinda went hand in hand.

On one side you had the well-settled rich kids who were slim and wore nice clothes and ended getting a 2:1 or above. And then you had the fat loners that couldn't afford anything and scraped through their exams.

But that was at Oxford. And most people were in the former category and very few in the latter category.

Out in "the real world" I am coming across so many good-looking girls that are just thick. I can't physically fake enough laughter anymore. I don't find jokes about "exes" and little immature anecdotes funny AT ALL. I physically can't stand most of the good-looking girls I meet. They are so insanely superficial. And then the interesting girls are mostly pretty unattractive.

So what does a guy do :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awesome Genius
I used to think looks and intelligence kinda went hand in hand.

On one side you had the well-settled rich kids who were slim and wore nice clothes and ended getting a 2:1 or above. And then you had the fat loners that couldn't afford anything and scraped through their exams.

But that was at Oxford. And most people were in the former category and very few in the latter category.

Out in "the real world" I am coming across so many good-looking girls that are just thick. I can't physically enough fake laughter anymore. I don't find jokes about "exes" and little immature anecdotes funny AT ALL. I physically can't stand most of the good-looking girls I meet. They are so insanely superficial. And then the interesting girls are mostly pretty unattractive.

So what does a guy do :frown:

He goes back to uni to find some fit intelligent girls. :tongue:
In your case, sparsely.
Original post by Democracy
In your case, sparsely.

Enjoy your pays cuts :wink:

The jealousy amongst non-Oxbridge medics never ceases to amaze me. Just accept it, you sucked at the BMAT!

Thanks. A junior doctor paycut sucks but internet catfish don't get paid at all. 2 sad 4 u :h:

The jealousy amongst non-Oxbridge medics never ceases to amaze me. Just accept it, you sucked at the BMAT!

i don't understand your obsession with universities that require the BMAT. a medic is a medic regardless of whether they went to oxbridge or plymouth. medicine degrees are heavily regulated and all of them have the same content.
How are you so dense? It's genuinely astonishing.
lol thats just not true

Its insane.

Every year 1000s of people compete to get into for Oxbridge Medicine. Then they find after a thorough interview process including academic performance, interview performance, references etc - that they didn't get in. Then they suddenly turn around and say that all the universities are the same.

Go read this: http://www.bmj.com/content/348/bmj.g2621

MRCP1
MRCP2
MRCGP1
MRCGP2
- Ox + Cam are ahead in all of those.

And only in PACES does Cambridge do badly but thats because they used to take in LOADS of medics and lose all their best ones to oxford. Now they don't. So they'll come up a bit soon.

If you want to leave Medicine and do a job in the city. You are not going to get anywhere with a medical degree that isn't UCL/Imperial/Oxbridge.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Looks and intelligence go hand in hand

Look at me I'm the proof :innocent:
lol thats just not true

Its insane.

Every year 1000s of people compete to get into for Oxbridge Medicine. Then they find after a thorough interview process including academic performance, interview performance, references etc - that they didn't get in. Then they suddenly turn around and say that all the universities are the same.

If you want to leave Medicine and do a job in the city. You are not going to get anywhere with a medical degree that isn't UCL/Imperial/Oxbridge.

I see your point, the prestige of a university definitely matters if you want to do a job in the city, e.g. investment banking or something law related. However it's almost irrelevant if the person wants to become a doctor. The majority of people who do medicine stay in their field and become a doctor/GP anyway.
I would have thought that in general there was little correlation - if any at all - between looks and intelligence.

However I imagine that when it comes to dating, attractive girls can rely on their looks more and thus are pressured less to develop their sense of humour, intelligence or other non-physical desirable attributes. If you are consistently meeting these basic women then my suggestion would be to look elsewhere :smile:.
Yes - I'm not debating the fact that medical degrees are heavily regulated and that all the universities end up making competent medical practitioners. I also accept the fact that all Doctors are smart people by all standards.
Yes - I'm not debating the fact that medical degrees are heavily regulated and that all the universities end up making competent medical practitioners. I also accept the fact that all Doctors are smart people by all standards.

I have an acquaintance Dr who went to Cambridge. He mainly works in research now but has remarked that in his experience, Southampton medics tend to be a bit thick.
Original post by Xenon17
There is a direct correlation between natural intelligence and natural beauty. What you are seeing OP is not natural intelligence and beauty. You are seeing no lifers i.e. those who are ugly and not naturally gifted spending hours studying or girls who are not that intelligent nor beautiful spending hours doing make-up and thus appearing intelligent and attractive, respectively.

Thats an interesting statement - why?
Original post by keromedic
I have an acquaintance Dr who went to Cambridge. He mainly works in research now but has remarked that in his experience, Southampton medics tend to be a bit thick.

Hmm I wouldn't say that. I met a few medics from Southampton - they were all pretty good.

The thing is that the majority of medics are quite clever. And thats true for all universities.

I find that the Oxbridge/Imp/Ucl ones are smarter but thats because they went through a selection process that positively selected them out. Its not really much to do with the institution making them that way.
Hmm I wouldn't say that. I met a few medics from Southampton - they were all pretty good.

The thing is that the majority of medics are quite clever. And thats true for all universities.

I find that the Oxbridge/Imp/Ucl ones are smarter but thats because they went through a selection process that positively selected them out. Its not really much to do with the institution making them that way.

You're probably right.

What sort of girls do you tend to go for - out in the real world? Do you meet them professionally?
Reply 17

because if you're smart you won't draw on your eyebrows.

Both are signals of good genetics well they used to be these days its difficult to tell. They are signals of good genetics thus these are more likely to be passed down as darwins theory suggests. Intelligence as it increases probability of survival and thus reproduction beauty as it increases probability of reproduction. Thus a correlation in the likelihood of these characteristics being passed down together is likely to be seen bear in mind its not limited to just these characteristics this is an extreme over simplification. Have you heard the term 'freak of nature' this I believe expresses the rare chance that someone is naturally intelligent but not beautiful and vice versa however these days it appears more prevalent mainly because of artificial enhancements (often difficult to do both as in study and maintain appearance with makeup) therefore (partially) explaining what you see.

Survival of the fittest also plays a smaller role in modern societies therefore also being a factor. Further explanation of this is probably needed but would be a waste of my time.

Inb4 someone hijacks my post.
@C0pper from the Cambridge threads is incredibly beautiful and incredibly smart at the same time :colondollar:

Quick Reply