The Student Room Group

BSc Neuroscience vs. Computer Science (with Foundation year)

Hello!

So I'm a current History undergrad at King's but I'm hating my course and so I'm thinking of applying to either Neuroscience (3 years) or Computer Science (with Foundation year, totalling up to 4 years). I know CompSci has the the better career prospects but would I be in a complete disadvantage if I opted out for Neuroscience (which I arguably find more interesting)? I'm really interested in Computer Science but the additional year to do a Foundation year is slightly off putting as I'm already sacrificing this year. Can I get into software engineering/web development etc with a Neuroscience degree?

The universities I'd apply for Neuroscience would be:
Bristol
Glasgow
Exeter
Cardiff
+ one more

For CompSci (all of which with a foundation year):
Queen Mary
Leeds
Manchester
Nottingham
+ one more

I have to do a foundation year because I don't have A-Level Maths (got ABB in Psychology, History and Biology respectively).
(edited 8 years ago)
Newcastle, Cardiff, Queen mary, nottingham, leeds (which you listed), queen's belfast, liverpool, and birmingham do not require AL maths. you can get into software engineering jobs with a neuroscience degree but you'd be more prepared for one with a computer science degree.
I only have the grades (ABB) for QMUL (without foundation year) :/ And I've checked for the rest and they do require AL Maths e.g. Liverpool https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons/entry-requirements/
Original post by orphan_black
I only have the grades (ABB) for QMUL (without foundation year) :/ And I've checked for the rest and they do require AL Maths e.g. Liverpool https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons/entry-requirements/

Liverpool also do this degree which is 95% identical to their CS degree. the main difference is it doesn't require AL Maths. https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-information-systems-bsc-hons/overview/ All the CS related degrees have the same content in the 1st year so it might be possible to switch over to the straight CS degree if you intend to do so. Maybe you should double check with the admissions tutor.

You should double check the entry requirements for computer science at those other universities I listed, I'm 99.99% sure none of them require AL Maths. Some of them however have requirements around AAB-AAA, have you considered resitting a module or two from your A-Levels? It would give you more choices of universities to apply to.
Ahh okay... and I mean I'd much rather apply for a foundation year and not resit anything as I would have to juggle the resit, UCAS and uni work (as I can't just drop out unless I know for sure that I've got an offer). Resitting would mean that my offer would be conditional on my resit mark which isn't ideal to be honest whereas if I apply for an ABB course (whether it's Neuroscience or CompSci) I'd be offered an unconditional offer if I was to be given an offer, meaning I'd be able to drop out with the peace in mind that I'd be going to uni this September. Hope that makes sense! :smile:
Hi, when you apply for the foundation year are you tailoring your ps to the degree you want to do, or why u shud do the foundation year?

Thanks in advance
Ahh okay... and I mean I'd much rather apply for a foundation year and not resit anything as I would have to juggle the resit, UCAS and uni work (as I can't just drop out unless I know for sure that I've got an offer). Resitting would mean that my offer would be conditional on my resit mark which isn't ideal to be honest whereas if I apply for an ABB course (whether it's Neuroscience or CompSci) I'd be offered an unconditional offer if I was to be given an offer, meaning I'd be able to drop out with the peace in mind that I'd be going to uni this September. Hope that makes sense! :smile:
Original post by artymaniac
Hi, when you apply for the foundation year are you tailoring your ps to the degree you want to do, or why u shud do the foundation year?

Thanks in advance

I've asked the Manchester foundation admissions tutor who said that it should be tailored to what you do, not a foundation year.
Hi thanks for replying!Do ur a level subjects link into your degree for your ps? because I thought u need a foundation year to gain skills for the degree. Because Im applying for a science degree with science foundation year, and most science degree personal statements have relevant a levels to their degree choice, but im relying on the foundation year, would u just talk about ur interest in the degree then? Sorry im just confused as to what to include in a ps with a foundation yr

Thanx in advance
I've asked the Manchester foundation admissions tutor who said that it should be tailored to what you do, not a foundation year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi thanks for replying!Do ur a level subjects link into your degree for your ps? because I thought u need a foundation year to gain skills for the degree. Because Im applying for a science degree with science foundation year, and most science degree personal statements have relevant a levels to their degree choice, but im relying on the foundation year, would u just talk about ur interest in the degree then? Sorry im just confused as to what to include in a ps with a foundation yr

Thanx in advance

My A Level subjects don't relate to the foundation degree so I'm avoiding talking about A Levels altogether as I'm at uni now
cool so u mainly talk about ur passion for the degree right?
My A Level subjects don't relate to the foundation degree so I'm avoiding talking about A Levels altogether as I'm at uni now
cool so u mainly talk about ur passion for the degree right?

yup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending