The Student Room Group

**Hong Kong Non-JUPAS Applicants 2016**

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fedorahat88
Did HKU say anything about the scholarship yet ???

Nope, not yet.

Original post by Little Toy Gun
Australia is very popular among people who cannot make the grades to get into HK's universities. A friend who couldn't get into any degree course in HK is now reading at Australian National University.

ANU gives out comparatively easy offers for most of it's programs.
My firm offer for Econs was ABC as opposed to A*A*A at HKU.
And ANU is one of the best at Australia. Bet the other less prominent unis have far lower offers.

Original post by fedorahat88
Alright mate. thanks, is australia a good place? and one of my friends studying at HKU law has been under an "exchange programme" with cambridge for 2 years
and all he pays is the HKU local tution fee? Should I do E&F at HKu on paper and actually go and study overseas then ???? I really want to be an investment banker at Goldman Sachs. Thats the dream tbh.

Investment banking is such a **** job IMO, I'm not sure if the crapton of money would compensate for my loss of physical and mental well being.
Money can't buy everything for me. That is assuming I get paid well.
Original post by Baalaje31

And ANU is one of the best at Australia. Bet the other less prominent unis have far lower offers.

ANU is only the best in postgraduate. UMelb or USyd should have a higher tariff/requirements than ANU for undergraduates for the majority of subjects.
Original post by lai812matthew
ANU is only the best in postgraduate. UMelb or USyd should have a higher tariff/requirements than ANU for undergraduates for the majority of subjects.

I guess it's ABB or AAB for Economics at either of those two, don't remember.
The only reason some people (including myself) apply are due to the generous scholarships they have up for grabs.
Although competition is pretty intense and the uni reps told me that even 4A* cannot guarantee a scholarship.

Investment banking is such a **** job IMO, I'm not sure if the crapton of money would compensate for my loss of physical and mental well being.
Money can't buy everything for me. That is assuming I get paid well.

Yeah that's why it's a popular destination for people who don't make the grades.

Indeed. And as I've mentioned only the big ones pay well. And even then you can get fired at any time.
Anyone from Singapore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caoshuo
Anyone from Singapore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm an ex-PR, lived there for most of my life.
Does that count :P ?
I'm an ex-PR, lived there for most of my life.
Does that count :P ?

Hku seems rather competitive for nonjupas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by caoshuo
Hku seems rather competitive for nonjupas

Posted from TSR Mobile

more competitive in jupas imo

Lol allow me to qualify. Sounds competitive to a non-hk-id-holder who's applying dentistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169
Hi :smile:
I want to ask if anyone knows whether it is worthwhile to submit 2 personal statements for CUHK? OR is this a completely wrong thing to do?
I'm applying for Pharmacy (1st) and Biomedical Science (2nd choice).
Thank you in advance :biggrin:
Original post by VMak
I want to ask if anyone knows whether it is worthwhile to submit 2 personal statements for CUHK? OR is this a completely wrong thing to do?

well if they want an additional ps they would request it, so I don't really think is worthwhile to write it now. (however I'm not a non-jupas candidate, just happens to be a hker living in uk now)
Original post by VMak

I understand that since you'd probably like to submit two personal statements for the two choices respectively.
Is it possible to write one PS containing points pertinent to both the courses, with some emphasis on your preferred course of course?

If so, I'd recommend that. Although if you'd really prefer sending in two PS, then maybe contact the uni first?

If I'm right, JUPAS -> more applicants -> more competitive.
Reply 173
well if they want an additional ps they would request it, so I don't really think is worthwhile to write it now. (however I'm not a non-jupas candidate, just happens to be a hker living in uk now)

I've written both PS already, though the one for my second choice is of less quality..
I am just wondering if those departments would like to see a PS that is specific to their degree.... After all, all it matters is whether this will increase my chance of getting in or not :frown:
Original post by caoshuo
Lol allow me to qualify. Sounds competitive to a non-hk-id-holder who's applying dentistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think Dentistry and Med are pretty competitive regardless of the stream of admission.
The latter being notoriously competitive, of course.
Reply 175
I understand that since you'd probably like to submit two personal statements for the two choices respectively.
Is it possible to write one PS containing points pertinent to both the courses, with some emphasis on your preferred course of course?

If so, I'd recommend that. Although if you'd really prefer sending in two PS, then maybe contact the uni first?

Yes it is possible but do you think this will lower my competitiveness?
It's my understanding that those admission officers love seeing degree specific PS...?
As both Pharmacy and Biomedical Sc are quite competitive, all I'm trying to do is to increase my change of getting in by submitting 2 PS ...and ugh hopefully this wont trip myself up (?) :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by VMak
Yes it is possible but do you think this will lower my competitiveness?
It's my understanding that those admission officers love seeing degree specific PS...?
As both Pharmacy and Biomedical Sc are quite competitive, all I'm trying to do is to increase my change of getting in by submitting 2 PS ...and ugh hopefully this wont trip myself up (?) :frown:

The best thing to do is contact CUHK. After that, it's all up to you to decide.
Reply 177
The best thing to do is contact CUHK. After that, it's all up to you to decide.

Got it !
Thanks
Think Dentistry and Med are pretty competitive regardless of the stream of admission.
The latter being notoriously competitive, of course.

Lol true that's why I didn't apply med
Uk med only

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys, I want to ask something.. For hkust, I know that business people are having interview, but is there any interview for the people who chose school of engineering or science?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending