The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

**** him up blud, roadman style init
If that's your dream, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise! Him laughing at you should become your motivation to prove him wrong!
Original post by Nettled
Do you do Physics at A-level?

Yep I enjoy the subject :smile:
From his perspective he probably thinks that you have no real motivation, not doubt in your ability to reach your goal. If he doesn't believe in you will your employer believe you? Build up your self confidence and reinforce and obliterate it into sky high levels with real knowledge and desire. The whole world is a equation and your a variable.
Original post by Simes
He did some A levels, didn't know what to do. He did a degree, because the alternative was a job. He still had no clue, so did the PGCE. And now he's a teacher, destroying the wishes and dreams of people with a clue and a desire to achieve something with their life.

There are Open University degree students designing space craft.

The 'teacher' you refer to is a loser. Ignore him.

Actually he has a PhD and he wanted to be a teacher :/ I highly respect him, he didn't openly scorn me but it still hurt me :frown:
Original post by h4mza
He must've thought you're on about those alien spaceships which don't exist.

Lol maybe he did!
Original post by donutaud15
My teacher told me I should'nt bother applying at this uni as I won't even get an offer. I was also told I was going to get a U in his subject. I proved him wrong by working my arse off. You should too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I needed this! :hugs:
Original post by Personinsertname
From his perspective he probably thinks that you have no real motivation, not doubt in your ability to reach your goal. If he doesn't believe in you will your employer believe you? Build up your self confidence and reinforce and obliterate it into sky high levels with real knowledge and desire. The whole world is a equation and your a variable.

Thank you, I believe that's what he thinks. It's hard to stay motivated with bad grades but maybe if I get an offer, it will spur me on ^_^
Reply 28
Original post by Anonymous
I can't think of anything I would like to do other than contribute in the space industry :redface:
That opens the range of options hugely. HUGELY!

There's satellite design, construction and launching. There's component design and construction. There's research companies.

Being done by UK companies like :
Airbus Group.
Reaction Engines.
Virgin Galactic.
Surrey Satellite Technology (where one of my brothers works).
The Spaceship Company.
Starchaser Industries.

If it wasn't for people like you, wanting to do what others say is impossible, there would be no space industry.

Oh, wow. Look at this: "The aerospace industry of the United Kingdom is the second- or third-largest national aerospace industry in the world. The industry employs around 113,000 people directly and around 276,000 indirectly and has an annual turnover of around £25 billion." Link. Your teacher is a useless, incorrect, clueless, ignorant, ****.
Original post by Simes
When I passed my Geography O Level, the useless toe-rag teacher I had collared me in the corridor and said "I heard about your result. The sun must shine out of your f***ing arse."

It certainly wasn't down to his teaching.

What a nasty teacher -_-'
Original post by Simes
That opens the range of options hugely. HUGELY!

There's satellite design, construction and launching. There's component design and construction. There's research companies.

Being done by UK companies like :
Airbus Group.
Reaction Engines.
Virgin Galactic.
Surrey Satellite Technology (where one of my brothers works).
The Spaceship Company.
Starchaser Industries.

If it wasn't for people like you, wanting to do what others say is impossible, there would be no space industry.

Oh, wow. Look at this: "The aerospace industry of the United Kingdom is the second- or third-largest national aerospace industry in the world. The industry employs around 113,000 people directly and around 276,000 indirectly and has an annual turnover of around £25 billion." Link. Your teacher is a useless, incorrect, clueless, ignorant, ****.

This is amazing, I'll be looking into this! I wouldn't describe my teacher as any of those adjectives btw :tongue:
Reply 31
This is amazing, I'll be looking into this! I wouldn't describe my teacher as any of those adjectives btw :tongue:

Anyone who laughs at a young person's dreams is not fit to be a teacher.

You could always be an astronaut. :-) Although astronomer might be more attainable. Both those links take you to pages with more links that could be helpful to you, such as the ESA.
IMO Teachers have really got to be careful what they do (and say) cos some people are easily demotivated.

it's not like it's a stupid idea that'll leave unemployable you with no fallback option... presumably you'll be coming out of uni with a degree in Engineering, Physics or a similar in-demand subject *at worst*... even if you don't land your dream job immediately, you're already in a better place than the average graduates.

As I think someone already mentioned Surrey university has strong ties with the satellite industry and has had them for years (despite not being on the TSR drool list)
If someone laughs off at my goals/dream,it just motivates me.I'd love to prove them wrong(I've done that before).
I'd love to show how wrong they were
"Dream so big you get uncomfortable telling small minded people".

Work hard in your sixth form, get the grades you want thats all you need from your school.
I was discussing my PS with him and he asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I want to design spacecraft. He laughed at me, I was really offended and hurt. I kept thinking, 'Does he think I will fail?' My AS grades are pretty average/poor so maybe he's right :frown: I am already insecure about my academic ability, it's even worse when even one of my favourite teachers don't think I can get the dream job. :frown:

Use that anger to fuel yourself and prove him wrong, there is literally one thing in life it is impossible to never succeed at an goal
Original post by Zeeiqbal
"Dream so big you get uncomfortable telling small minded people".

Work hard in your sixth form, get the grades you want thats all you need from your school.

I'm assuming that's a quote... do you mind if I ask who?
Original post by emiloujess
I'm assuming that's a quote... do you mind if I ask who?

I am not so sure, I just knew the quote by heart :tongue:
Original post by txmidayoxo
well he is a teacher in a sixth form/college, so he doesnt really have any right to laugh at someones dreams and aspirations.

I get it. the overused joke. but really...whats so bad about being a teacher?
I needed this! :hugs:

Just to add to my earlier comment, my husband have really bad A levels. Failed Physics and all. He now has a first class degree and works for one of the biggest engineering firms in the world.

You can do it. Never give up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest