The Student Room Group

Will Emwazi's death have any effect on ISIS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RFowler
It's more of a symbolic victory. If the US is able to find his location and kill him, it sends a message that ISIS is not invincible as it claims to be. Some commanders might be worried as well - if the US can get intelligence on someone like Emwazi, what else do they know about other important ISIS members and commanders?

They want war. They want to die. They win once a ground force is sent to them.
Original post by queen-bee
I'm still wondering why the west haven't done anything about him up until now? :tongue: that's the real question

The obvious reasons include:

Not having a previous shooting opportunity that didn't risk injuring innocent people.
Not have a previous clear shooting opportunity of any kind.
Not knowing his whereabouts sufficiently accurately.
Having higher priority targets.

There must be many more.
Reply 22
Original post by Bill_Gates

Most people are behind Russia - it's correct to keep Assad and call for democratic elections rather than destroy the country and put in an incompetent puppet leader.

Assad could have accepted the calls for democratic reforms in 2011. Instead he set the Shabiha and the security forces on the protestors, killing and torturing, and when the armed uprising started, he released thousands of jihadis from the prisons so that he could claim his enemies were Islamist terrorists.

The man is a butcher. And it is the result of his policies that Syria is a failed state today. The cherry on top is his tacit ceasefire and trade deal with ISIL; he is their largest source of income. So on that score, it is utter hypocrisy for Assad or Russia to claim they are truly fighting ISIL. The groups that have consistently fought ISIL are the Americans and the Kurds
The death of him has pretty much symbolised the beginning of the end of ISIS.
Original post by Good bloke
The obvious reasons include:

Not having a previous shooting opportunity that didn't risk injuring innocent people.
Not have a previous clear shooting opportunity of any kind.
Not knowing his whereabouts sufficiently accurately.
Having higher priority targets.

There must be many more.

Do you think it was bad that the UK showed so much news on Jihadi John. Somewhere in me, I can see a few basement dwellers cheering out loud whenever they saw John and were inspired. I honestly think it would have been better to ignore him because Muslims who lack role models may see him as one.
Original post by woIfie
Assad could have accepted the calls for democratic reforms in 2011. Instead he set the Shabiha and the security forces on the protestors, killing and torturing, and when the armed uprising started, he released thousands of jihadis from the prisons so that he could claim his enemies were Islamist terrorists.

The man is a butcher. And it is the result of his policies that Syria is a failed state today. The cherry on top is his tacit ceasefire and trade deal with ISIL; he is their largest source of income. So on that score, it is utter hypocrisy for Assad or Russia to claim they are truly fighting ISIL. The groups that have consistently fought ISIL are the Americans and the Kurds

He's the best they got. Democratic elections are the only way. Russia will implement that.
Original post by AlwaysWatching
The death of him has pretty much symbolised the beginning of the end of ISIS.

Let's hope so.
Original post by Novascope
Let's hope so.

They are fighting on 5 fronts. They have been repeatedly losing battles and territory. They have next to no real allies, and their funding comes from captured oilfields =, which they are losing. I give them 2 years max to exist as a "state" before they completely lose all their territory and resort back to insurgency. They are finished.
(edited 8 years ago)
It symbolises nothing to them, he is(/was) some monkey in a black balaclava.

From what I've read he didn't even have the respect of the other fighters given that he struggled to speak Arabic and had no discipline, the only selling point he had was that he was a product of the West. I was shocked though seeing the mother of one of the hostages he executed saying she was sad resources had been wasted on killing him and that had things been different her son could have been his friend.
Jihadi John's death won't affect ISIS directly however when it comes to recruitment and their idea of an invincible caliphate protected by Allah it's had irreparable damage. It's likely that it'll signify the end of IsIs as the cultural bohemoth it is today and most people won't know who ISIS are in 5 years time. However directly the Kurdish liberation of Sinjad will likely affect IsIs massively to the extent that there might not be a ISIS presence in Iraq at all by Christmas. This is because Sinjad has the only motorway in northern Iraq going through it and the Kurds can now block that motorway meaning ISIS in Syria are completely disconnected from ISIS in its Iraqi stronghold (Mosul). It's likely Mosul isn't far from falling either. Those two things on top of Russia stepping up its intervention and the west's continued contribution mean that ISIS's days are numbered (until the next group come along).
(edited 8 years ago)
We don't know for certain if he's dead or alive,however if he has been killed by the west,do you think it'll have any effect in any way on ISIS/ISIL?

Or is it less significant than the capture of sinjar?

None whatever.
Original post by MrKmas508
Jihadi John's death won't affect ISIS directly however when it comes to recruitment and their idea of an invincible caliphate protected by Allah it's had irreparable damage. It's likely that it'll signify the end of IsIs as the cultural bohemoth it is today and most people won't know who ISIS are in 5 years time. However directly the Kurdish liberation of Sinjad will likely affect IsIs massively to the extent that there might not be a ISIS presence in Iraq at all by Christmas. This is because Sinjad has only motorway in northern Iraq going through it and the Kurds can now block that motorway meaning ISIS in Syria are completely disconnected from ISIS in its Iraqi stronghold (Mosul). It's likely Mosul isn't far falling either. Those two things on top of Russia stepping up its intervention and the west's continued contribution mean that ISIS's days are numbered (until the next group come along).

Who would take Mosul or Raqqa? The Kurds have no willingness to march into Arabic cities.
Reply 32
Jihadi John's death won't affect ISIS directly however when it comes to recruitment and their idea of an invincible caliphate protected by Allah it's had irreparable damage. It's likely that it'll signify the end of IsIs as the cultural bohemoth it is today and most people won't know who ISIS are in 5 years time. However directly the Kurdish liberation of Sinjad will likely affect IsIs massively to the extent that there might not be a ISIS presence in Iraq at all by Christmas. This is because Sinjad has the only motorway in northern Iraq going through it and the Kurds can now block that motorway meaning ISIS in Syria are completely disconnected from ISIS in its Iraqi stronghold (Mosul). It's likely Mosul isn't far from falling either. Those two things on top of Russia stepping up its intervention and the west's continued contribution mean that ISIS's days are numbered (until the next group come along).

I don't think we can ever totally forgot about ISIS and what they've done.
Original post by RiskVsReward
Do you think it was bad that the UK showed so much news on Jihadi John. Somewhere in me, I can see a few basement dwellers cheering out loud whenever they saw John and were inspired. I honestly think it would have been better to ignore him because Muslims who lack role models may see him as one.

Journalists will be journalists. They just want sensational stories. Their idea of the public interest is very mixed up with what they think will interest the public (which is altogether different).

I think it is valuable, though, that jihadis of British origin are exposed and brought to justice, and I suspect their deaths might stem the flow a bit.
Original post by The Rad Prince
Who would take Mosul or Raqqa? The Kurds have no willingness to march into Arabic cities.

Raqqa is in Syria so that's far off but Mosul will likely be taken down by a joint effort by the Iraqi government,Kurds and western special forces. Now that the motorway is blocked and winter is coming food,water and fuel supplies will be running low and that's when we will strike.
Reply 35
Would you guys rather he was brought back to the UK and put on trial or left to die where he is,if he is dead?
Reply 36
Raqqa is in Syria so that's far off but Mosul will likely be taken down by a joint effort by the Iraqi government,Kurds and western special forces. Now that the motorway is blocked and winter is coming food,water and fuel supplies will be running low and that's when we will strike.

Alhamdulillah :h: (thank god)
I don't think we can ever totally forgot about ISIS and what they've done.

Can you feom the top of your head tell me which terrorist organisation had done 9/11? Who did the Pakistani school massacre? Who did the beslen massacre? The average person wouldn't be able to answer all them without help. ISIS's actions will be remembered but their name won't, there will be one name given to them however . One name that links these all together and that will be the name we use.
Reply 38
Can you feom the top of your head tell me which terrorist organisation had done 9/11? Who did the Pakistani school massacre? Who did the beslen massacre? The average person wouldn't be able to answer all them without help. ISIS's actions will be remembered but their name won't, there will be one name given to them however . One name that links these all together and that will be the name we use.

Such as? The Taliban is still called the Taliban and that's not changed
Would you guys rather he was brought back to the UK and put on trial or left to die where he is,if he is dead?

image.jpeg John was useless.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending