The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Applicants for English 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hell no, going to firm University of Exeter instead! Did they give you feedback?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 21
Original post by S01B97
Hell no, going to firm University of Exeter instead! Did they give you feedback?

Nope, no feedback. But I asked to be considered for Comparative. I know French as well and the course actually seems pretty interesting. I'd like to have the option at least and it's still UCL.

Did you get any feedback?
Reply 22
Original post by Shivangi78
How much time did UCL give you to submit the questionnaire? Just a day?

Ok actually they gave me a couple of weeks but I procrastinated until the last minute. It's actually a few essays, not a Q&A format.
Reply 23
Original post by isayhi
Ok actually they gave me a couple of weeks but I procrastinated until the last minute. It's actually a few essays, not a Q&A format.

Wow, the word 'questionnaire' is just misleading then.
Same here. Did you agree to take Comparative?

If you dont mind me asking, what was your prediction? And what offer did they give you for Comparative? Congrats btw :smile: It looks like a really nice course
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by ziggyystardust
If you dont mind me asking, what was your prediction? And what offer did they give you for Comparative? Congrats btw :smile: It looks like a really nice course

Hey Ziggy, they haven't offered me Comparative yet. They've offered me a chance to switch my course option to that and then they'll give me an official reply. I'm an international student, doing IB so my predicted was 39/42.

What about you?
Hey Ziggy, they haven't offered me Comparative yet. They've offered me a chance to switch my course option to that and then they'll give me an official reply. I'm an international student, doing IB so my predicted was 39/42.

What about you?

Oh right! Well I really hope you get an offer either way. Do you think you will switch?
Congrats on your prediction!! I also do the IB and Im predicted 44. Ive only received an offer from exeter so far... :frown: But its 36 points which is good
Reply 27
Oh right! Well I really hope you get an offer either way. Do you think you will switch?
Congrats on your prediction!! I also do the IB and Im predicted 44. Ive only received an offer from exeter so far... :frown: But its 36 points which is good

44 is an amazing predicted grade! Congrats. I have only received a reply from Durham right now. Don't worry you'll get offers soon enough, especially with those grades.Yeah, I'm gonna switch, the course is really interesting and I'm trilingual so it'll be fun.
44 is an amazing predicted grade! Congrats. I have only received a reply from Durham right now. Don't worry you'll get offers soon enough, especially with those grades.Yeah, I'm gonna switch, the course is really interesting and I'm trilingual so it'll be fun.

Thank you! Ahh Durham - congratulations! That's amazing! You must be so happy! Was their offer decent? I would absolutely love to go there! It's my top choice after Oxford. I would actually say that I prefer the course at Durham over the one at Oxford.

Yeah go for it! The course looks really really good and since you're trilingual you would be able to make some really interesting comparisons across all the foreign literature. What languages do you speak?
Reply 29
Thank you! Ahh Durham - congratulations! That's amazing! You must be so happy! Was their offer decent? I would absolutely love to go there! It's my top choice after Oxford. I would actually say that I prefer the course at Durham over the one at Oxford.

Yeah go for it! The course looks really really good and since you're trilingual you would be able to make some really interesting comparisons across all the foreign literature. What languages do you speak?

My conditional for Durham was 38, so pretty standard. It wasn't pure lit though, I took Philosophy and Literature. Yeah I understand what you mean about Durham being more interesting than Oxbridge, I applied to Cambridge but got rejected.

I speak Hindi (which is a North Indian language) and French, other than English of course.
My conditional for Durham was 38, so pretty standard. It wasn't pure lit though, I took Philosophy and Literature. Yeah I understand what you mean about Durham being more interesting than Oxbridge, I applied to Cambridge but got rejected.

I speak Hindi (which is a North Indian language) and French, other than English of course.

You must be releived that they stuck to their typical offer! English and Philosophy is a good combination. Another positive about the Durham course is that you can take a few modules out of your subject if it appeals to you. I would probably take modules in Philosophy if I end up at Durham.

Oh I'm sorry you got rejected.. :frown: You'll end up at a top uni despite that! Where else have you applied? I'm waiting for my rejection for Oxford, don't think I did well enough on the ELAT to be invited for an interview.

Oh wow! Is Hindi Literature any good? I wish I had taken up French instead of Spanish, that way I wouldn't have to read French Lit in translation. I'm sort of trilingual too, fluent in Greek and English and intermediary in Spanish.
So many IB students!
I'm still waiting too. I was predicted 43/44, so far I've only received an offer from Warwick (which, by the way, I love, so not too bad!). I really, really want to hear back from UCL though.
Original post by Lunnford84
I had my interview and test yesterday! Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Anyone else gone in for interview/test yet? x

I've got my interview this Wednesday - hope yours went okay! Am currently frantically going over the texts I mentioned in my PS - was wondering if they asked you much about the texts from yours, or if there was any particular style the interview took? Would love to know what to expect, just to calm my nerves a bit!
Reply 33
I applied for English Lit on 9th October, still waiting for a reply! I didn't know there was a test as well as an interview! How long do they give you until your interview once they've replied?
I've had my interview and I'm still waiting for a final decision. They said applicants will be notified of any decisions within two weeks following the interview (and it's nearly two weeks since), but, as it's a particularly busy time, I fully expect it to be a little longer. They have a lot of applicants to get through (I imagine), so don't fret! I'm sure you'll hear back soon! All the best.
Woohoo! Unconditional offer! Anybody else heard back?
Original post by Lunnford84
Woohoo! Unconditional offer! Anybody else heard back?

CONGRATULATIONS THAT'S AMAZING! May I ask what grades you achieved/are predicted?
Original post by S01B97
CONGRATULATIONS THAT'S AMAZING! May I ask what grades you achieved/are predicted?

I'm a mature student - 31 years old. Here are my grades:

Access to HE (Social studies and humanities): 60 Distinction credits
A Level English Language and Literature (distance-learning): A (87% UMS average)
AS Level Classical Civilisation (distance-learning): Predicted A in the summer

Have you heard back? Good luck!! x
Original post by isayhi

Hi I've been given the choice of an interview or a questionnaire - what sort of questions/essays were asked in the questionnaire? x
Reply 39
Original post by sophie--rose
Hi I've been given the choice of an interview or a questionnaire - what sort of questions/essays were asked in the questionnaire? x

Hello! In total, I think you will have 6 questions to answer.

They asked for the titles of texts I studied in A-Levels and a list of some of the books that I read in the past year. The following questions asked me to select the books I was most interested in, and to write a commentary on them. You'll need to write 2-3 essays of this kind (I forgot the word count, so sorry). Two of these essays ask that you tell them about your feelings when reading certain texts, and another one asked me to write about how tone and style contribute to the meaning of the book.

They also require that you do a critical commentary on a piece of poetry/prose within a set time limit, something like Paper 7 in A2. No one will monitor you, but it's best that you be honest and list down the start and end time so that everyone gets a fair chance.

I was given around two weeks to complete the questionnaire, not sure if it will be different for you!

The advantage of doing the questionnaire over an interview would be that you'll have sufficient time to think your answers through instead of being put on the spot, but at the same time you'll have to remind yourself to not be too academic/serious in your writing for the essays that ask you to reflect on how you felt about the texts that you read - not the literary analysis that you did.

These are just my two cents, so please don't think that you have to stick to it if it's not your style.

All I can say is that all the essays they tell you to write, should you choose to do the questionnaire, will definitely pay off when you get your offer letter! I almost died when I received mine, and I can say that the application process for UCL is very very rewarding.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending