The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1
I get it. the overused joke. but really...whats so bad about being a teacher?

the bad thing about being a teacher in a sixth form/college is that you rarely find teachers that actually wanted to become teachers. its always a back-up plan if they couldnt get a job in the field they actually wanted. so because they couldnt achieve their dream they want to put other peoples down. sorry but thats crap tbh.
Original post by txmidayoxo
the bad thing about being a teacher in a sixth form/college is that you rarely find teachers that actually wanted to become teachers. its always a back-up plan if they couldnt get a job in the field they actually wanted. so because they couldnt achieve their dream they want to put other peoples down. sorry but thats crap tbh.

okay then. let me share with yeh that my mam went from doctor to lawyer to teacher. some teachers do actually want to be there and if they dont...then theyre no different to most people then.
Original post by Anonymous
I was discussing my PS with him and he asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I want to design spacecraft. He laughed at me, I was really offended and hurt. I kept thinking, 'Does he think I will fail?' My AS grades are pretty average/poor so maybe he's right :frown: I am already insecure about my academic ability, it's even worse when even one of my favourite teachers don't think I can get the dream job. :frown:

My Head of VIth Form told me not to bother applying to KCL because they wouldn't look at me with my GCSE results. I applied anyway, got accepted and ended up getting 4 A*s. Teachers don't know the future. Chris Hadfield dreamed of being an astronaut when Canada didn't even have a space program. If he listened to the first person who told him to give up he wouldn't have got where he is today. Don't listen to anyone else but what you want to do, tell anyone else who says you can't do it to go f*ck themselves. You can do it, you just need to believe in yourself and put the work in. :-)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Georg Hegel
My Head of VIth Form told me not to bother applying to KCL because they wouldn't look at me with my GCSE results. I applied anyway, got accepted and ended up getting 4 A*s. Teachers don't know the future. Chris Hadfield dreamed of being an astronaut when Canada didn't even have a space program. If he listened to the first person who told him to give up he wouldn't have got where he is today. Don't listen to anyone else but what you want to do, tell anyone else who says you can't do it to go f*ck themselves. You can do it, you just need to believe in yourself and put the work in. :-)

Ahhh Chris Hadfield was a guest on Russell Howard's Good News! It was very inspiring :smile:
Original post by Simes
Anyone who laughs at a young person's dreams is not fit to be a teacher.

You could always be an astronaut. :-) Although astronomer might be more attainable. Both those links take you to pages with more links that could be helpful to you, such as the ESA.

Becoming an astronaut is a childhood dream :frown: as much as I'd love to be one, I have to be realistic here.
Becoming an astronaut is a childhood dream :frown: as much as I'd love to be one, I have to be realistic here.

Well it's very specific and it's quite unlikely you'll get all the way to space... but there's nothing wrong with having it as an ambition. Low chance of a success shouldn't be a reason for not trying to achieve something providing you still end up with good options if it doesn't work out.

Have a look at what you need to do to become an astronaut... post graduate study, relevant science or engineering career, likely both. you can't even apply til you're 27... the consequences of doing all that and then not becoming an astronaut aren't really that terrible - you've already got a career anyway. Might as well try your hardest and see how far you can go.

The problem with 'low probability career ambitions' is IMO the people who think they don't need to try exerting themselves in any academic or career enabling directions because they're going to make it on their raw talent alone... so they may as well kick back... this includes a lot of wannabe Wayne Rooney's, Beyonce's and Katie Prices. Most of them will fail and the consequence will be struggling to even get a minimum wage job.
I think i would laugh as well. ^^ A teacher is a very good job to have. :smile:
Original post by txmidayoxo

People are getting paid £30,000 just to do a year long teaching course after their degree, I do accounting but may do a PGCE and teach maths after my degree, it is not a backup plan, it's a perfectly good option...... And I don't believe many people actually have a 'dream job', its simply good enough for most to hope for a job that pays well and has good holidays, eg teaching.

When someone's grades are poor and they want to design/build aircraft then they're pretty dumb.
Original post by Joinedup
Well it's very specific and it's quite unlikely you'll get all the way to space... but there's nothing wrong with having it as an ambition. Low chance of a success shouldn't be a reason for not trying to achieve something providing you still end up with good options if it doesn't work out.

Have a look at what you need to do to become an astronaut... post graduate study, relevant science or engineering career, likely both. you can't even apply til you're 27... the consequences of doing all that and then not becoming an astronaut aren't really that terrible - you've already got a career anyway. Might as well try your hardest and see how far you can go.

The problem with 'low probability career ambitions' is IMO the people who think they don't need to try exerting themselves in any academic or career enabling directions because they're going to make it on their raw talent alone... so they may as well kick back... this includes a lot of wannabe Wayne Rooney's, Beyonce's and Katie Prices. Most of them will fail and the consequence will be struggling to even get a minimum wage job.

Blimey, people actually think they get in with just raw talent? Fantasies...

Thank you for this though, this is pretty motivating actually :hugs:
I was discussing my PS with him and he asked me what I wanted to do in life. I told him that I want to design spacecraft. He laughed at me, I was really offended and hurt. I kept thinking, 'Does he think I will fail?' My AS grades are pretty average/poor so maybe he's right :frown: I am already insecure about my academic ability, it's even worse when even one of my favourite teachers don't think I can get the dream job. :frown:

this is about your teacher's problems. maybe he once nourished dreams like yours, but now works in drudgery, with only a new pair of elbow patches to look forward to.
Some teachers are such utter dweebs and inadequates they have to act like this. They are small people. You'll be out of their soon enough.
You definitely *can* be a spaceship/rocket designer/engineer. The only problem is that you'll get alot of people studying physics, cosmology and engineering wanting to also do the same job which means that getting into uni is the easy thing if you want to achieve your goal.

Latest

Trending

Trending