The Student Room Group

"Shootings" reported in central Paris.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Epicurean
We don't know for sure that they are recent refugees though. Haven't most attacks to date been committed by actual citizens who have lived in the West for a long time as opposed to recent immigrants?

True, but this is on a whole other level :/

To be honest I agree, this would at least be organised by long-standing residents.. but politically it'll be a very hard sell to stand up and remain committed to taking in refugees without a huge public backlash, in my view

I suppose they could portray it as France saying "what we've experienced is only a small fraction of what these refugees have had to live with for years now, so we can empathise and will keep welcoming them to safety" - but that seems pretty remote
Original post by The Epicurean
We don't know for sure that they are recent refugees though. Haven't most attacks to date been committed by actual citizens who have lived in the West for a long time as opposed to recent immigrants?

I think political pressure and maybe panic as to how to actually defend against this threat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Moonstruck16
Essentially somebody who is agreeing to die for a cause.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope. It's a vehicular suicide attack.
Reply 303
Original post by Craig1998
Also pointing out that those wanting to kill every muslim in Europe for the few committing attacks, you are promoting terrorism. Terrorism isn't just about Islam, it's about everyone, and killing innocent people is terrorism.
Well, no, killing innocent people is murder.

Terrorism is achieving political objectives through fear. You don't need to kill people to carry out terrorism. Bomb scares, envelopes containing white powder, death threats, leaving dead animals on people's doorsteps - that's all terrorism too.

The pro-life campaign in America and the anti-vivisectionists here also achieve their aims through terrorism, we just tend not to call it that.

It is much easier to just brand groups of people as 'terrorists' as a way of 'othering' them, which is what you did, despite meaning not to.

Tricky, innit?
Original post by billydisco
Errrr no they are not. They are saying 99% of terrorists follow Islam, therefore there is something wrong with Islam. None of the other religions have these problems.....

what makes you sure they follow islam though?

They can claim to follow Islam but it doesn't mean they do...there is clearly something wrong with them...

People can claim that they are doing this in the name of 'a religon' but they may just be ill or just sociopaths...

They are killing their own muslims...i don't get it or their own agenda?
Original post by Modesty
France have a large Muslim community that feel segregated from society.

What, and this was their solution?

Original post by MrKmas508
Hostages are being executed.

:frown:
So much evil!!
Original post by Simes
Well, no, killing innocent people is murder.

Terrorism is achieving political objectives through fear. You don't need to kill people to carry out terrorism. Bomb scares, envelopes containing white powder, death threats, leaving dead animals on people's doorsteps - that's all terrorism too.

The pro-life campaign in America and the anti-vivisectionists here also achieve their aims through terrorism, we just tend not to call it that.

It is much easier to just brand groups of people as 'terrorists' as a way of 'othering' them, which is what you did, despite meaning not to.

Tricky, innit?

George Bush was a terrorist that killed Millions of innocent civilians. He achieved the aims of the Illuminati by destabilizing the middle east.
Original post by Modesty
France have a large Muslim community that feel segregated from society.
5 Million muslims live in france, highest in Europe.
"Paris muslims struggle to feel accepted"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32053906

high youth unemployment and limited economic mobility may make radicalization more achievable for extremists.
You would expect issues such as this to occur.

It takes more than that for someone to be drawn into mass-murder. You don't just go on a killing spree because you don't feel very accepted and live in a council house. You go to your GP for anxiety counselling and your local college to gain qualifications...
Original post by xxvine

They can claim to follow Islam but it doesn't mean they do...there is clearly something wrong with them...

People can claim that they are doing this in the name of 'a religon' but they may just be ill or just sociopaths...

They are killing their own muslims...i don't get it or their own agenda?

Why are there no sociopaths killing in the name of Sikhism?
Why are there no sociopaths killing in the name of Hinduism?
Why are there no no sociopaths killing in the name of Orthodox Christianity?

Get the idea?
5 explosions thus far at the Bataclan
5 explosions and shooting at the bataclan..... very scary
Reply 312
Original post by The Rad Prince
I'm so gonna move out of Europe, definitely before I am 30

Waddya fancy? Indian sub-continent, Asia, South America, Middle East, Central America, East Europe, Russia, China…

Still want to go?

Get the idea?

because they could be using 'islam' as ever since 9/11 they have been the most 'popular'...these people want fame remember

you can't really generalise.
Original post by Lady Comstock
It takes more than that for someone to be drawn into mass-murder. You don't just go on a killing spree because you don't feel very accepted and live in a council house. You go to your GP for anxiety counselling and your local college to gain qualifications...

Did you read what else i also said?

It will make radicalization easier. Look at the news currently , constantly talking about conflicts in the middle east. Add this to them being unemployed and jobless , the mindless will get radicalized and will seek "revenge".
Really sad news to hear although it's nice to know that loads of people are letting stranded people into their houses to protect them from any more shootings

Get the idea?

People kill over anything man
Original post by xxvine
because they could be using 'islam' as ever since 9/11 they have been the most 'popular'...these people want fame remember

you can't really generalise.

Why would someone commit mass murder and then pass the focus off of them onto a religion... unless they wanted to affiliate themselves with said religion.
Original post by Simes
Waddya fancy? Indian sub-continent, Asia, South America, Middle East, Central America, East Europe, Russia, China…

Still want to go?

I'm not leaving. They will.
Original post by xxvine

News reports say they were shouting Allah Akbar

Can I ask if you've ever used this term?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending