The Student Room Group

Economics (year one) past exam papers

Hello guys,

As I am not at uni yet, I am still considering whether I should do a degree in Economics or not. Long story short, are there any current students who could provide me with Economics past exam papers from UK universities, particularly the very first ones that students take?
I've been trying to have a look into them myself but unfortunately, I need a student account (which I don't have for obvious reasons).
Reply 1
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
Hello guys,

As I am not at uni yet, I am still considering whether I should do a degree in Economics or not. Long story short, are there any current students who could provide me with Economics past exam papers from UK universities, particularly the very first ones that students take?
I've been trying to have a look into them myself but unfortunately, I need a student account (which I don't have for obvious reasons).

Why do you want to look at first year past papers?

What are you trying to find out by looking at them?
Original post by .ACS.
Why do you want to look at first year past papers?

What are you trying to find out by looking at them?

To find out what kind of content they ask for, f.e. more maths related or more essay related. Right now, I am stuck between pursuing a maths degree and an economics as I like both subjects really much and that's why I wanted to know, what tasks one would do in the exams. (I don't want to do a joint degree) :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by TheSnazzyMan
To find out what kind of content they ask for, f.e. more maths related or more essay related. Right now, I am stuck between pursuing a maths degree and an economics as I like both subjects really much and that's why I wanted to know, what tasks one would do in the exams. (I don't want to do a joint degree) :smile:

Sure, no worries.

Well, economics is less mathematical than a mathematics degree, but I think that goes without saying. However, if you do choose the more rigorous and mathematical modules, you'll end up doing lots of pure maths.

I found micro/macro was more short answer problems in first year, with mostly diagrams and a couple of equations to illustrate your point. But it wasn't overly mathematical.

Second year became more mathematical. In a lot of modules, especially the micro related modules, I found I could do well in the exam without actually understanding the "economics". It was far more important, at least on the modules I took, to be adept with mathematics. Third year became more of this, and my MSc year was effectively just maths, and in some cases, equally rigorous as a straight maths degree, essentially because it was all proof based.

Also it is important to realise the level of maths covered, and the rigour encountered, differs greatly depending on the university attended, but even then, on the modules taken.

You have to think about a few things- why are you deciding between maths and economics? Which do you ultimately prefer? Would you prefer something much more rigorous and proof based, or do you enjoy the idea of talking about real life scenarios and modelling them mathematically?

I was in a similar frame of mind to you when I applied and ultimately I went for economics. Do I regret it? No, I was able to get plenty of maths and rigorous maths at that, but with an actual aim behind it, whereas you can lose sight of pure maths and the purpose of it.
Original post by .ACS.

You have to think about a few things- why are you deciding between maths and economics? Which do you ultimately prefer? Would you prefer something much more rigorous and proof based, or do you enjoy the idea of talking about real life scenarios and modelling them mathematically?

I can sense a slight tone of favouring econ in that. :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice, in particular, I am deciding between Warwick MMORSE or Economics right now. I know, both degrees are extremely demanding and have a lot of Maths in them (obviously). I'm interested in the modules of both subjects and that's really the reason why I wanted to know what's in those econ exam papers - so that I know what the content taught really is about.
For Maths, I already know what kind of tasks are given in the exam, but for Econ I don't have a clue :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest