The Student Room Group

How are looks and intelligence distributed?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by StrawbAri
@C0pper from the Cambridge threads is incredibly beautiful and incredibly smart at the same time :colondollar:

Dope phone case m9!

Spoiler

You went to Oxford? Christ.
Original post by Awesome Genius
I used to think looks and intelligence kinda went hand in hand.

On one side you had the well-settled rich kids who were slim and wore nice clothes and ended getting a 2:1 or above. And then you had the fat loners that couldn't afford anything and scraped through their exams.

But that was at Oxford. And most people were in the former category and very few in the latter category.

Out in "the real world" I am coming across so many good-looking girls that are just thick. I can't physically fake enough laughter anymore. I don't find jokes about "exes" and little immature anecdotes funny AT ALL. I physically can't stand most of the good-looking girls I meet. They are so insanely superficial. And then the interesting girls are mostly pretty unattractive.

So what does a guy do :frown:

Any luck after your date from the other night mate?
In equal amounts for me :sexface:

Spoiler

And only in PACES does Cambridge do badly but thats because they used to take in LOADS of medics and lose all their best ones to oxford. Now they don't. So they'll come up a bit soon.

If you want to leave Medicine and do a job in the city. You are not going to get anywhere with a medical degree that isn't UCL/Imperial/Oxbridge.

Lol, Cambridge grads actually have the highest PACES pass rate at the moment: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/25496.asp
Original post by Xenon17
Both are signals of good genetics well they used to be these days its difficult to tell. They are signals of good genetics thus these are more likely to be passed down as darwins theory suggests. Intelligence as it increases probability of survival and thus reproduction beauty as it increases probability of reproduction. Thus a correlation in the likelihood of these characteristics being passed down together is likely to be seen bear in mind its not limited to just these characteristics this is an extreme over simplification. Have you heard the term 'freak of nature' this I believe expresses the rare chance that someone is naturally intelligent but not beautiful and vice versa however these days it appears more prevalent mainly because of artificial enhancements (often difficult to do both as in study and maintain appearance with makeup) therefore (partially) explaining what you see.

Survival of the fittest also plays a smaller role in modern societies therefore also being a factor. Further explanation of this is probably needed but would be a waste of my time.

Inb4 someone hijacks my post.

Yeh you're probably right. Good traits are naturally selected for.
Original post by TheMaster102
Any luck after your date from the other night mate?

Nah haven't talked to her again.
Original post by Imperion
Dope phone case m9!

Spoiler

Original post by RonnieRJ
Looks and intelligence go hand in hand

Look at me I'm the proof :innocent:

School girls :frown:

Would only date >21
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Lol, Cambridge grads actually have the highest PACES pass rate at the moment: http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/25496.asp

Well yeh that's not surprising. Basically all Oxford and Cambridge applicants are essentially the same level BUT Oxford took 150 and Cambridge took more like 275 so obviously the Oxford scores are going to be better in average. Also there used to be some prestige junkies that moved from Cambridge to Oxford and usually these were all the MVST1A+1B double firsts so that would have brought the average down too - nowadays they've stopped that.
There is correlation. I went to a uni not so high on the league tables and the eye candy was very poor.I switched unis and eye candy is much better. Then I look at the met students near our uni and the eye candy look terrible.
School girls :frown:

Would only date >21

tsr is not tinder
Reply 31
Original post by Xenon17
Both are signals of good genetics well they used to be these days its difficult to tell. They are signals of good genetics thus these are more likely to be passed down as darwins theory suggests. Intelligence as it increases probability of survival and thus reproduction beauty as it increases probability of reproduction. Thus a correlation in the likelihood of these characteristics being passed down together is likely to be seen bear in mind its not limited to just these characteristics this is an extreme over simplification. Have you heard the term 'freak of nature' this I believe expresses the rare chance that someone is naturally intelligent but not beautiful and vice versa however these days it appears more prevalent mainly because of artificial enhancements (often difficult to do both as in study and maintain appearance with makeup) therefore (partially) explaining what you see.

Survival of the fittest also plays a smaller role in modern societies therefore also being a factor. Further explanation of this is probably needed but would be a waste of my time.

Inb4 someone hijacks my post.

Lol do you have any credible evidence to support your pseudoscience ****? Anyone with a basic understanding of natural selection knows that it cannot be applied to a situation like this. Survival of the fittest lol... ugly dumb people aren't put out to die
Reply 32
Original post by Proxenus
There is correlation. I went to a uni not so high on the league tables and the eye candy was very poor.I switched unis and eye candy is much better. Then I look at the met students near our uni and the eye candy look terrible.

Oxbridge eye candy looks like someone took a dump on some expired candy. Imperial eye candy is basically all asian dudes. There's either no, or negative, correlation here, exceptions notwithstanding.
Original post by Xotol
Oxbridge eye candy looks like someone took a dump on some expired candy. Imperial eye candy is basically all asian dudes. There's either no, or negative, correlation here, exceptions notwithstanding.

yeah asian dudes are gorgeous
You can't have it all son.
Original post by Xotol
Lol do you have any credible evidence to support your pseudoscience ****? Anyone with a basic understanding of natural selection knows that it cannot be applied to a situation like this. Survival of the fittest lol... ugly dumb people aren't put out to die

Attractive ppl are probably more likely to reproduce though?
This is why some aspects of evolution and natural selection I dont understand. i have never IQ tested a female to facilitate coitus, allot of us just go out get drunk and shag whoever is willing - even if very below par. When my dick needs to get itself away; it needs to get itself away, regardless of what my brain is telling me because my brains inebriated.

I'm gorgeous and highly intelligent btw.:colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
I used to think looks and intelligence kinda went hand in hand.

On one side you had the well-settled rich kids who were slim and wore nice clothes and ended getting a 2:1 or above. And then you had the fat loners that couldn't afford anything and scraped through their exams.

But that was at Oxford. And most people were in the former category and very few in the latter category.

Out in "the real world" I am coming across so many good-looking girls that are just thick. I can't physically fake enough laughter anymore. I don't find jokes about "exes" and little immature anecdotes funny AT ALL. I physically can't stand most of the good-looking girls I meet. They are so insanely superficial. And then the interesting girls are mostly pretty unattractive.

So what does a guy do :frown:
It's not always girls. I look like ass but they tell me I'm clever.
Original post by RonnieRJ
tsr is not tinder
I've been saying this for ages, but nobody believes me :sad:
Original post by StrawbAri
@C0pper from the Cambridge threads is incredibly beautiful and incredibly smart at the same time :colondollar:

Aw bless you, thank you! :hugs: Though I wouldn't agree :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending