The Student Room Group

"Shootings" reported in central Paris.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
Looking at the broad arch of this thread, the collective action seems to be along the lines of "expel all muslims" etc...

Why can our collective action or us speaking be about more positive things such as increasing integration, providing more security, being more tolerant, etc...

The reactions this thread has been eliciting is truly dis-heartening. :s-smilie:

Because that is what European countries have been trying to do during last few decades. It does not work. Multicultural society is a failed policy, impossible to have it. People with different cultures and thus different fundamental values can't live together. Note that by culture I do not mean things like language, food, clothes etc... FUNDAMENTAL MORAL VALUES of what is right or wrong is the heart of culture. Multi ethnic society, however, is absolutely possible.
A common culture should be promoted, not a segregation.
Original post by i<3milkshake
if it is a terrorist attack by Muslims who cares? I don't. I know full well that;
1) It wasn't really Islam (see the no true Scotsman argument)
2) Muslims are the victims when they face a backlash (the real victims are ignored)
3) That another one will happen again.
4) Despite point 3 Merkel, Hollande and call me Dave will continue importing Muslims when the current number is already too high. And when Turkey joins the EU along with this existing migrant crisis god help us.

And last, but most importantly;

5) The sheeple will moan but not do anything. They will continue voting for the same old parties. And nothing will change. There won't even be any protests, nothing.

Yep (well I'm not sure Turkey will ever join the EU seeing as there's an ever stronger chance it will break up).The EU,not Turkey.

But then why should people vote for other parties when the reality is that you are FAR more likely to be killed on the roads than in a terrorist attack?

I don't see people protesting at the number of car drivers or the relative lack of investment in public transport either.

When terrorist attacks are happening every other week you will see protests.

At the moment no one thinks it will happen to them.

And it almost certainly won't.
(edited 8 years ago)
WW3 inbound

If the reporting of it being a suicide bomb are correct then it probably was carried out by a Muslim. The kind of terrorism committed by Christians or white people who think they are fighting against the invasion of their culture/country by foreigners/Muslims don't tend to be suicide bombings.

But we don't know enough at the moment.
Original post by 41b
What? Ignoring why the current situation has happened and making a kumbayah circle makes things better?

The attacks are obviously bad. There is an obvious and important reason why they happened: the open border with Syria. The only thing that will make things better is expelling the refugees and readmitting them with thorough background checks if their lives are truly in danger.

That is the only thing that will make things better. If making things better is truly what you want. But it isn't, is it?

Do you genuinely think that hateful posts spreading mis-guided intolerance is truly going to make things better?

Rational discussions to uncover the deep-seated cause of such horrible atrocities would be very much welcome, as would prompting collective action to undertake rational measures to prevent such occurrences from happening.
Original post by The Epicurean
This here is I think going to be the biggest issue we are going to face. If such an attack was able to slip past intelligence, then obviously changes are going to be made there, with more raids and arrests etc. I also reckon there will be increased backlash towards Muslims in general and a more fractured relationship between what are some of the more isolated communities in the Western world and the rest of society.

I think there is a great danger that all of this might encourage more young Muslims in the west down this route. It is going to be a very difficult situation to approach

this is scary

wasnt a muslim women pushed in front of a train today?
Reply 446
Original post by Modesty
George Bush was a terrorist that killed Millions of innocent civilians. He achieved the aims of the Illuminati by destabilizing the middle east.
I would change that slightly:

George Bush, and his war criminal lapdog, Tony Bliar, was a terrorist that killed at least six hundred thousand of innocent civilians. He achieved the aims of the oil industry by destabilizing the middle east.

Other than that, I think you're about right.
Original post by hassassin04
Because that is what European countries have been trying to do during last few decades. It does not work. Multicultural society is a failed policy, impossible to have it. People with different cultures and thus different fundamental values can't live together. Note that by culture I do not mean things like language, food, clothes etc... FUNDAMENTAL MORAL VALUES of what is right or wrong is the heart of culture. Multi ethnic society, however, is absolutely possible.
A common culture should be promoted, not a segregation.

Extremists aren't representative of the moral values of a massive group.
Reply 448
Original post by elen90
My heart hurts.

Could we stop politicising an ongoing tragedy, please?

My thoughts exactly, at least wait til its over ffs, what was a thread covering the ongoing tragedy in Paris has turned into another of TSR's lengthy debates on Islam...
Original post by Johann von Gauss
Given a terrorist, it is much more likely that they follow Islam than any other religion (ever heard of a Buddhist Terrorist lol?)

Preaching tolerance is fine, but don't ignore the facts, and don't reflexively call people racists, or stupid, just because they disagree with you.

Did I call the a racist? No. I'm not one of those people who thinks Islam is a race.

Say what you want to say buddy but my reply was not to you. It was to a person who was clearly replying to stir up hate. They weren't even prepared to explain their radical view.

The intent of my reply to the other person has clearly been misunderstood.

Posted from TSR Mobile
100 reportedly dead in the Bataclan venue.
France needs to clamp down hard

To hell with human rights

Profile and arrest anyone suspected

Show no mercy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 453
Original post by Skill Twix
What is happening to the world?
#PrayforParis

If prayer worked, Allah would have converted Europe to Islam a thousand years ago.
Original post by Zacken
An example, couldn't be bothered to go more than two pages back - it's 4 a.m here. :-)

Oh where are you? :colondollar:

He could have worded it better. TBF though I was actually thinking of becoming a Muslim though I am white, and a lot of Quranic verses condone violence. So no Muslims are not "animals" ofc, but Islam explicitly condones this if interpreted a certain way
Original post by Olie
My thoughts exactly, at least wait til its over ffs, what was a thread covering the ongoing tragedy in Paris has turned into another of TSR's lengthy debates on Islam...

This. So much this.
100 dead alone in the concert hall
For everyone trying to paint all Muslims with one brush do remember that there are Muslims fighting ISIS on the front line.
100 dead in theatre. Death toll 140.

People need to wake up
Original post by Simes
I would change that slightly:

George Bush, and his war criminal lapdog, Tony Bliar, was a terrorist that killed at least six hundred thousand of innocent civilians. He achieved the aims of the oil industry by destabilizing the middle east.

Other than that, I think you're about right.

Change Oil Industry to Illuminati , other than that you're spot on :wink::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending