The Student Room Group

Can't Sleep

I'm a bit worried because since I dropped out of my course my sleep pattern has reversed and I'm up all night. I've been feeling depressed lately and think this staying up all night is going to make matters worse - mentally.
Does anyone else suffer the same way I do and do you think being up all night sleeping all day will worsen my mental health?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by N-R-G
I'm a bit worried because since I dropped out of my course my sleep pattern has reversed and I'm up all night. I've been feeling depressed lately and think this staying up all night is going to make matters worse - mentally.
Does anyone else suffer the same way I do and do you think being up all night sleeping all day will worsen my mental health?

You stay up all day as well? you must sleep sometime, even I sleep occasionally.
Reply 2
Original post by John55
You stay up all day as well? you must sleep sometime, even I sleep occasionally.

No I don't stay up all day I sleep all day. Today I got up at around 4pm. The rate I'm going tonight I'll be asleep 'til that time again. It's so depressing.
Reply 3
Original post by N-R-G
No I don't stay up all day I sleep all day. Today I got up at around 4pm. The rate I'm going tonight I'll be asleep 'til that time again. It's so depressing.

I do the same, I kind of prefer the night though, it's more peaceful than the day time.
I wouldn't vouch for my mental health however... If your depressed about it maybe you should see a doctor.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by N-R-G

I did the same when I left school and got depressed. It would stay up as late as I could just so I wouldn't have to be awake through the day. As being awake in the day and having nothing to do and nobody to do it with made me feel terrible. Is this what you are doing? :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by John55
I do the same, I kind of prefer the night though, it's more peaceful than the day time.

I'm ok just pissed off that I dropped out of my course and would like to be back to normal getting up in the morning I'm frustrated that I can't do that.
Reply 6
Original post by william walker
I did the same when I left school and got depressed. It would stay up as late as I could just so I wouldn't have to be awake through the day. As being awake in the day and having nothing to do and nobody to do it with made me feel terrible. Is this what you are doing? :smile:

I don't know I want to get up in the morning but its almost morning now.
Reply 7
Original post by N-R-G
I'm ok just pissed off that I dropped out of my course and would like to be back to normal getting up in the morning I'm frustrated that I can't do that.

Stay up all night then stay up all day tomorrow as well, then you'll be bombed by about 10pm tomorrow and be able to renew your sleep cycle to normality... this helps me when I need a normal sleep cycle but only temporarily.
Reply 8
Original post by John55
Stay up all night then stay up all day tomorrow as well, then you'll be bombed by about 10pm tomorrow and be able to renew your sleep cycle to normality... this helps me when I need a normal sleep cycle but only temporarily.

I've done that before and feel terrible all day sometimes even hallucinating it does work but as you say can be temporary.
I have the same problem although its because of my depression and staying up late, getting up late as well makes me even more depressed for some reason making this awful cycle that I have no idea why I can't just stop it. It's not too bad during the week because I have to get up for college so this only happens on weekends and holidays
Reply 10
Original post by N-R-G
I've done that before and feel terrible all day sometimes even hallucinating it does work but as you say can be temporary.

Lol, yeah, I think I get hallucinations from doing that as well, one time I was crossing the road and I saw these lights right next to me and thought there was a car about to hit me and I jumped a couple of meters in the other direction in terror and then realized there was nothing their...
To be honest I have the same problem as you with sleep and haven't worked out a decent solution... I'm pretty unhappy in general though and I wouldn't say ,my sleep pattern is a reason for it, maybe a symptom, but whatever... sorry I can't give you any better advice on improving your sleep.
Reply 11
Original post by eternaforest
I have the same problem although its because of my depression and staying up late, getting up late as well makes me even more depressed for some reason making this awful cycle that I have no idea why I can't just stop it. It's not too bad during the week because I have to get up for college so this only happens on weekends and holidays

When I get up late I feel bad because I feel like I've wasted a day of my life where something good might have happened for once, not that it would have but still, get's me down...
Original post by John55
When I get up late I feel bad because I feel like I've wasted a day of my life where something good might have happened for once, not that it would have but still, get's me down...

Same here mate, that feeling of getting up and having breakfast then it's like 5pm already just makes me feel so dead.
Reply 13
Original post by John55
Lol, yeah, I think I get hallucinations from doing that as well, one time I was crossing the road and I saw these lights right next to me and thought there was a car about to hit me and I jumped a couple of meters in the other direction in terror and then realized there was nothing their...
To be honest I have the same problem as you with sleep and haven't worked out a decent solution... I'm pretty unhappy in general though and I wouldn't say ,my sleep pattern is a reason for it, maybe a symptom, but whatever... sorry I can't give you any better advice on improving your sleep.

Staying up all day is the only solution I can think of. I started staying up all night after smoking cannabis for a few weeks.
Reply 14
Original post by eternaforest
Same here mate, that feeling of getting up and having breakfast then it's like 5pm already just makes me feel so dead.

Especially in the winter when it's already dark :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by John55
Especially in the winter when it's already dark :frown:

Going to bed when the sun rises and getting up when the sun sets is so depressing.
Reply 16
Original post by N-R-G
Going to bed when the sun rises and getting up when the sun sets is so depressing.

Maybe you could try getting a job or something so you have a schedule for the day? I have anxiety though so I'm freaked out by going into shops let alone asking whether there's jobs available...
I'm actually doing a course at the moment but I'm only in three days a week so I just stay up all night on those days and sleep after lessons and ruin my sleep cycle even more...
Why did you quit your course? (if you don't mind me asking)
Reply 17
Original post by John55
Maybe you could try getting a job or something so you have a schedule for the day? I have anxiety though so I'm freaked out by going into shops let alone asking whether there's jobs available...
I'm actually doing a course at the moment but I'm only in three days a week so I just stay up all night on those days and sleep after lessons and ruin my sleep cycle even more...
Why did you quit your course? (if you don't mind me asking)

I messed up I went to Cardiff with my friend to his place and ended up smoking dope and living off takeaways its my fault but I didn't complete the first assignment so I've basically failed. My sleep pattern slowly reversed over time. I think it was smoking dope that did it.

I'm self employed though whilst my sleeps messed up I don't work though I could do it right now but tbh don't feel like I'm in the mood. I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and don't go out much which probably also contributes to it.
Reply 18
Original post by N-R-G
I messed up I went to Cardiff with my friend to his place and ended up smoking dope and living off takeaways its my fault but I didn't complete the first assignment so I've basically failed. My sleep pattern slowly reversed over time. I think it was smoking dope that did it.

I'm self employed though whilst my sleeps messed up I don't work though I could do it right now but tbh don't feel like I'm in the mood. I also suffer from anxiety/panic attacks and don't go out much which probably also contributes to it.

Life ay? I've never got into smoking dope since I never had anyone to get it off...what do you employ yourself to do?
Reply 19
Original post by John55
Life ay? I've never got into smoking dope since I never had anyone to get it off...what do you employ yourself to do?

Tbh cannabis isn't that good you feel good its a nice feeling but I got paranoid and couldn't be bothered to do anything hence not completing my assignment.
I design T-shirts and sell them down the market.

Quick Reply

Latest