The Student Room Group

Can't Sleep

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by N-R-G
Tbh cannabis isn't that good you feel good its a nice feeling but I got paranoid and couldn't be bothered to do anything hence not completing my assignment.
I design T-shirts and sell them down the market.

Designing T-shirts sounds cool, I wish I did something interesting like that and could make money for it, I write songs but I think it's gonna be quite a while before I make any money from it (I.E. never), but it's fun to come up with ideas anyhow.
Reply 21
Original post by John55
Designing T-shirts sounds cool, I wish I did something interesting like that and could make money for it, I write songs but I think it's gonna be quite a while before I make any money from it (I.E. never), but it's fun to come up with ideas anyhow.

Cool what genre do you write in?
Reply 22
Original post by N-R-G
Cool what genre do you write in?

Just kind of indie rock I guess, I write them on my acoustic guitar but in my head I imagine how they would sound in a band like, a lot of them have distorted guitars or one of them has layered acoustic guitars like this song called 'the moon' by a low fi indie folk band called the microphones, so I basically try and use different ideas from different bands I listen to, I like to mess with the rhythm of songs a bit too...
Reply 23
Original post by John55
I do the same, I kind of prefer the night though, it's more peaceful than the day time.

Quite similar here.
Reply 24
Original post by John55
Just kind of indie rock I guess, I write them on my acoustic guitar but in my head I imagine how they would sound in a band like, a lot of them have distorted guitars or one of them has layered acoustic guitars like this song called 'the moon' by a low fi indie folk band called the microphones, so I basically try and use different ideas from different bands I listen to, I like to mess with the rhythm of songs a bit too...

Sounds cool. I'm more into electronic music though I do like 'real' music a bit. Do you ever perform your music to an audience or does your anxiety prevent you from doing so?
Reply 25
Original post by N-R-G
Sounds cool. I'm more into electronic music though I do like 'real' music a bit. Do you ever perform your music to an audience or does your anxiety prevent you from doing so?

Even if I did have the courage to perform them live I couldn't since I don't have a band and the songs kind of require a band, in fact, a lot of them aren't finished, they have parts where in my head it says insert melody here, or insert instrumental here. What kind of electronic music do you like? I've always found it hard to get into the genre but would like to listen to it more at some point.
Reply 26
Original post by Vlad83
Quite similar here.

Do you ever go out walking at like 5 in the morning? it's better in the summer when it's not just dark, but it's still a really nice time to be out, it's like a different world.
Reply 27
Original post by John55
Even if I did have the courage to perform them live I couldn't since I don't have a band and the songs kind of require a band, in fact, a lot of them aren't finished, they have parts where in my head it says insert melody here, or insert instrumental here. What kind of electronic music do you like? I've always found it hard to get into the genre but would like to listen to it more at some point.

Kraftwerk, Techno, House & Hip Hop.

Have you ever thought of advertising for band members to join your band?
Reply 28
Original post by N-R-G
Kraftwerk, Techno, House & Hip Hop.

Have you ever thought of advertising for band members to join your band?

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a listen sometime.

I've considered advertising for band members but I'd feel like an idiot because I'm not a great singer, not a great guitar player, I'd just be some internet horror story shouting a bunch of random ideas about songs at them...
Reply 29
Original post by John55
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them a listen sometime.

I've considered advertising for band members but I'd feel like an idiot because I'm not a great singer, not a great guitar player, I'd just be some internet horror story shouting a bunch of random ideas about songs at them...

LoL ... Sounds funny so you're an ideas man, could be good you never know it might work.
I definitely recommend Kraftwerk as a good starting point to getting into electronic music they were the first and still the best.
Reply 30
Original post by N-R-G
LoL ... Sounds funny so you're an ideas man, could be good you never know it might work.
I definitely recommend Kraftwerk as a good starting point to getting into electronic music they were the first and still the best.

I think I have listened to a couple of Kraftwerk songs before, I mean, trans europe express is the one everyone's heard. I'l definitely try listening to them more. God knows what I'll try and get the band mates I meet online to do if I start trying to incorporate electronics into my songs as well... i'm gonna end up in prison probably.
Reply 31
Original post by John55
I think I have listened to a couple of Kraftwerk songs before, I mean, trans europe express is the one everyone's heard. I'l definitely try listening to them more. God knows what I'll try and get the band mates I meet online to do if I start trying to incorporate electronics into my songs as well... i'm gonna end up in prison probably.

Why?
Reply 32
Original post by N-R-G
Why?

I was joking :smile:
Reply 33
Original post by John55
Do you ever go out walking at like 5 in the morning? it's better in the summer when it's not just dark, but it's still a really nice time to be out, it's like a different world.

Wow ! That is quite romantic .. I have to say ! And the way you put it too ... I think you sound (and come across) sort of like an artistic person in a way. :redface:
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I see what you mean actually ! But no I don't do that, I am not living alone but still with my family in the same flat - which means I cannot realistically open the wardrobe, get my clothes out, open the front door and leave and then come back .. etc - my family are sleeping and I cannot be making sounds or disturbing them at that time.
But I am not even sure I would be into going out at 5 am anyway. At night - yes I would. But probably not 5 am.
To be honest - and it might sound like a bit of a paradox with me, I don't actually like mornings or early mornings. Even though I am actually up at this time. I do like night time but not this time when it is already early.
And to be honest, I don't like summer nights but only autumn and winter nights. That is precisely because I like long dark nights as opposed to short nights with light - and obviously in the summer, nights are almost non-existent really - as dawn comes really early (especially June and July).
Reply 34
Yes I feel like going for a walk now.
Reply 35
Original post by Vlad83
Wow ! That is quite romantic .. I have to say ! And the way you put it too ... I think you sound (and come across) sort of like an artistic person in a way. :redface:
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I see what you mean actually ! But no I don't do that, I am not living alone but still with my family in the same flat - which means I cannot realistically open the wardrobe, get my clothes out, open the front door and leave and then come back .. etc - my family are sleeping and I cannot be making sounds or disturbing them at that time.
But I am not even sure I would be into going out at 5 am anyway. At night - yes I would. But probably not 5 am.
To be honest - and it might sound like a bit of a paradox with me, I don't actually like mornings or early mornings. Even though I am actually up at this time. I do like night time but not this time when it is already early.
And to be honest, I don't like summer nights but only autumn and winter nights. That is precisely because I like long dark nights as opposed to short nights with light - and obviously in the summer, nights are almost non-existent really - as dawn comes really early (especially June and July).

I think your right, I'm definitely more drawn to and interested in more arty things like music and writing as my interests, How about you? would you say your more artistic or scientific?
I can see why it might be difficult for you to go on early morning walks though I've never had a problem with waking my flatmates so far... but it's been less than a couple of months so I hope I don't annoy any of them further down the line...
Reply 36
Good night people, I think I've finally become tired...
Reply 37
Original post by John55
Good night people, I think I've finally become tired...

Night I might try and stay up all day. Sweet dreams.
Reply 38
Original post by John55
I think your right, I'm definitely more drawn to and interested in more arty things like music and writing as my interests, How about you? would you say your more artistic or scientific?
I can see why it might be difficult for you to go on early morning walks though I've never had a problem with waking my flatmates so far... but it's been less than a couple of months so I hope I don't annoy any of them further down the line...

That is nice ! Sounds cool. And yeah .. that lemon there is quite artistic for sure ! (Wink). Well, it is ! :smile:
Me - I am more artistic too (as I outlined in a thread and its poll that I saw, dedicated to this very topic). Though I do have an interest in many scientific aspects to an extent. But my brain is certainly more artistic. That is how I have been since my early life. (Though in my native language, the word artistic has a slightly different meaning and is rather more to do with a person being inclined to performing and whose personality is generally more of a self expressive nature .. etc).
Yes .. it could also be a rather awkward situation when my mum or stepfather sometimes come into my room at night or at this time .. and I am like .. not in my bed but staying up or right there at my computer ! LOL. They are being critical sometimes when this happens.
OK. That is good with your flatmates. They probably sleep tight ! :redface: And you are quite a considerate person it seems to me.

Quick Reply

Latest