The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by smbeech
Does everybody receive a portfolio request? Or is there a process of elimination based on personal statements before the requests go out?

I'm pretty sure every uni that looks at portfolios will ask every applicant to submit one. The only exemption would be applicants with an exceptionally good application/proof of artistic ability. Even with a bad application I think they'd ask to see a portfolio
Original post by hieveryonexd
Ohh, that'll take a while then... was hoping to get a response earlier since I got rejected by UCL and I'm not feeling very confident about Cambridge :frown:

oh sorry to hear about the rejection :frown: was this after you sent the task if you don't mind me asking?
currently doing art foundation at the Manchester School of Art. have not applied yet, doing it with my university which would be around late Dec/early Jan. sooo late i know... I'm applying to the Bartlett (really wanna study here lol), Manchester, UAL, Sheffield and either Brighton or Nottingham... I'll also be resitting a few Maths a level exams during the year.
Original post by Grewsters
Got an offer from Sheffield last night for AAA! Handed in my application/portfolio around Oct 10th so it took a while. Anyone else??

Handed in my application/portfolio to Sheffield on the 31st but no reply just yet :s-smilie:S
Original post by nairline
oh sorry to hear about the rejection :frown: was this after you sent the task if you don't mind me asking?

It was after the assessment task :smile: there was someone on this thread who wrote loads of advice about UCL, I think it'd be useful to anyone applying there!!

Good luck with your applications!
Reply 65
Original post by smbeech
Does everybody receive a portfolio request? Or is there a process of elimination based on personal statements before the requests go out?

Yes, of course. Good architecture school will do 1st round of assessment on applicants' submitted school record and personal statement. Take UCL for example, they will reject many applicants at this stage, and only selected one will be asked for Task assignment (before even look at your portfolio during interview at later stage).
Reply 66
Hi, has anyone applied to Cardiff? Do you know which address I'm supposed to send my portfolio to? Cause they didn't state it very clearly in their website. /:
Got an offer from Sheffield last night for AAA! Handed in my application/portfolio around Oct 10th so it took a while. Anyone else??

Congratulations on the offer! May I ask what your predicted grades are? Also, is the task the same as last years? ("My street":wink:
Reply 68
Original post by weoien
Hi, has anyone applied to Cardiff? Do you know which address I'm supposed to send my portfolio to? Cause they didn't state it very clearly in their website. /:

No I agree it wasn't very clear
I used,

Lisa Morton
Welsh School of Architecture
Bute Building
King Edward VII Avenue
Cardiff University
CF10 3NB

After emailing them I was told they had received it. (even though I forgot to include my UCAS ID)
Reply 69
Original post by theolawless
Congratulations on the offer! May I ask what your predicted grades are? Also, is the task the same as last years? ("My street":wink:

Ya same task as last year and I've been predicted A*A*A
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 70
Congratulations that's brilliant!! Might I ask what range of media/subjects you includes in your portfolio?
- I sent mine off last weekend so fingers crossed!:smile:

Reply 71
Original post by cowie
Congratulations that's brilliant!! Might I ask what range of media/subjects you includes in your portfolio?
- I sent mine off last weekend so fingers crossed!:smile:

1. Two pages consisting of pencil sketches surrounding human anatomy (subject matter and art medium I feel most confident with/enjoy most)
2. Three pages consisting of media that I'm not as confident with (watercolour and acrylics). Continued the theme of anatomy but branched off to animals and plants structure. The art wasn't as successful but I've showed I tried.
3. A page involving graphics and computer work that was more intended to show unconventionality.
4. A page of 3D modelling again looking at plant structures and also my interest in maths.

Hope that helps and good luck!!
Reply 72
Original post by miss.eleanora
Handed in my application/portfolio to Sheffield on the 31st but no reply just yet :s-smilie:S

dw you've a long time to wait, good luck!
Reply 73
Thanks!! That sounds good! interesting.. Were you asked for specific things in your portfolio?- I was just asked for 10 pages with no real specifications...?

1. Two pages consisting of pencil sketches surrounding human anatomy (subject matter and art medium I feel most confident with/enjoy most)
2. Three pages consisting of media that I'm not as confident with (watercolour and acrylics). Continued the theme of anatomy but branched off to animals and plants structure. The art wasn't as successful but I've showed I tried.
3. A page involving graphics and computer work that was more intended to show unconventionality.
4. A page of 3D modelling again looking at plant structures and also my interest in maths.

Hope that helps and good luck!!
Reply 74
Original post by cowie
Thanks!! That sounds good! interesting.. Were you asked for specific things in your portfolio?- I was just asked for 10 pages with no real specifications...?

Mhmm same just 10 pages, nothing specific apart from the the 'your street' task and a general sense of originality and thought. Am I ok to ask what you included in yours?
Reply 75
No I agree it wasn't very clear
I used,

Lisa Morton
Welsh School of Architecture
Bute Building
King Edward VII Avenue
Cardiff University
CF10 3NB

After emailing them I was told they had received it. (even though I forgot to include my UCAS ID)

Thank you so much ! MAY THE GODS OF ARCHITECTURE BLESS YOU <3
Reply 76
Of course!:smile:
So I put (in order of pages)
-Acrylic and Oil painting (hallway and cityscape)
-'your street' page (generic street acrylic painting..)
-2x acrylic paintings (sort of abstract, colour enhanced cityscapes)
-2x Oil and mixed media pieces (realistic derelict building, 2x expressive cityscapes)
-Black and white page-Pencil, 2x acrylic, and chalk (da vinci style anatomical, line portrait using card, realistic portrait)
-3x acrylic paintings (sold) (colourful interpretations of Keith Richards, Freddie Mercury and an elephant)
-5x photography (Barcelona and Brighton)
-2x acrylic paintings (portraits again with enhanced/incorporated colour -one of Einstein)
-2x acrylic and mixed media (portraits inspired by Francis Bacon, Andrew Salgado and Alex Garrant)
3x Oil paintings (2x portraits, other of dog -realistic)

That enough info ahaha? - Sadly I didn't have enough time to make any 3D pieces in time (although have done so for other portfolio's)
- I took advantage of the fact they said more than one image (y)

Mhmm same just 10 pages, nothing specific apart from the the 'your street' task and a general sense of originality and thought. Am I ok to ask what you included in yours?
Reply 77
Original post by cowie
Of course!:smile:
So I put (in order of pages)
-Acrylic and Oil painting (hallway and cityscape)
-'your street' page (generic street acrylic painting..)
-2x acrylic paintings (sort of abstract, colour enhanced cityscapes)
-2x Oil and mixed media pieces (realistic derelict building, 2x expressive cityscapes)
-Black and white page-Pencil, 2x acrylic, and chalk (da vinci style anatomical, line portrait using card, realistic portrait)
-3x acrylic paintings (sold) (colourful interpretations of Keith Richards, Freddie Mercury and an elephant)
-5x photography (Barcelona and Brighton)
-2x acrylic paintings (portraits again with enhanced/incorporated colour -one of Einstein)
-2x acrylic and mixed media (portraits inspired by Francis Bacon, Andrew Salgado and Alex Garrant)
3x Oil paintings (2x portraits, other of dog -realistic)

That enough info ahaha? - Sadly I didn't have enough time to make any 3D pieces in time (although have done so for other portfolio's)
- I took advantage of the fact they said more than one image (y)

You seem a lot more enthusiastic about art than me! It sounds good and it's weird to see how we've concentrated on different mediums
Reply 78
Original post by cwhk
Hey there! I'm about to send off my application sometime early next week and I study the IB. I'm also applying to UCL and Edinburgh :-)

I couldn't find anything online regarding the application selection process for Edinburgh. Do you need to submit a portfolio online to them before you are offered an interview?

Thanks and congrats!

Hey!
Edinburgh has one of the simpler selection processes. They dont require a portfolio or an interview. I'm guessing they look more at your grades and personal statement, so make sure those are strong. Good luck and let me know how it goes! They took about a month to get back :smile:
Reply 79
If anyone wants to share a general idea of what they included in their portfolio then please do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending