The Student Room Group

Paris Attacks Discussion on TSR - please read

Hi everyone

Like you we've woken up horrified by the news of what has happened in Paris overnight. It is incredibly shocking and sad. Our thoughts are now definitely with the injured and friends and families of those affected.

But please remember, TSR is not a place for racist or bigoted views. Before posting views about the attack, please stop and think about what you are saying and if it 1) is opinion or speculation over reported fact - there are still lots of unknowns 2) if what you are posting is still within TSR's rules. Making broad generalisations about religions or groups is not acceptable on here. It never has been and never will be.

I would encourage everyone to use TSR to share actual fact on the situation for the time being rather than attacking people or groups when this is still so raw and facts still so few. Really, we should be supporting each other and fully understanding every bit of what has happened.

Thanks

Jack

Scroll to see replies

Thanks Cap'n
I agree with supporting each other but how are you defining "bigoted"? ISIS has claimed responsibility..
Agreed
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
I agree with supporting each other but how are you defining "bigoted"? ISIS has claimed responsibility..

Probably means that just because isis has claimed responsabilty it doesnt mean that you can go on about all muslims as if they are all in/agree with isis because they really dont

Here's one definition:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bigoted?s=t
Original post by BekahMay
Probably means that just because isis has claimed responsabilty it doesnt mean that you can go on about all muslims as if they are all in/agree with isis because they really dont

Spot on BekahMay :smile:

You know what I mean.

Obviously it's not "all muslims," but how about saying that the Quran has verses that incite violence? Is that bigoted?

Anyway forget it if you're going to be sarcastic about a tragedy :rolleyes:
Please don't forget there may be TSR members who have relatives in Paris. Mine are all safe, others may not know or their relatives may have lost friends or fellow students.
100% agreed

Hopefully these events will cause a true reflection in France on national cohesion and islamophobia, that the Charlie Hebdo did not cause unfortunately :frown:
Original post by barnetlad
Please don't forget there may be TSR members who have relatives in Paris. Mine are all safe, others may not know or their relatives may have lost friends or fellow students.

Yes, we should also be thinking and acting around French people at the moment - those of us who know French people need to be in touch to express sympathy and solidarity and to listen to them. London is full of French people and there are lots of chances for those of us who live in London to show them a smile and some fellow feeling.
Original post by Captain Jack
Hi everyone

Like you we've woken up horrified by the news of what has happened in Paris overnight. It is incredibly shocking and sad. Our thoughts are now definitely with the injured and friends and families of those affected.

But please remember, TSR is not a place for racist or bigoted views. Before posting views about the attack, please stop and think about what you are saying and if it 1) is opinion or speculation over reported fact - there are still lots of unknowns 2) if what you are posting is still within TSR's rules. Making broad generalisations about religions or groups is not acceptable on here. It never has been and never will be.

I would encourage everyone to use TSR to share actual fact on the situation for the time being rather than attacking people or groups when this is still so raw and facts still so few. Really, we should be supporting each other and fully understanding every bit of what has happened.

Thanks

Jack

Hello,

Is it just me or is the title "Is it time Europe bans Islam & muslim immigration?" another definition for bigotry?
(edited 8 years ago)
You know what I mean.

Obviously it's not "all muslims," but how about saying that the Quran has verses that incite violence? Is that bigoted?

Anyway forget it if you're going to be sarcastic about a tragedy :rolleyes:

There are shed loads of analysis and thinking to do about it and for sure both Muslims and non-Muslims can review what aspects of religious belief contribute to the development of extremist views and actions. That doesn't get away from the fact that an overwhelming majority of Muslims do not engage in, or support these actions and acting as though they do, labelling and stereotyping because we are angry, directly plays into the hands of the extremists and makes their game work for them.
Pray for Paris
Solidarite avec Paris
Original post by Fullofsurprises
There are shed loads of analysis and thinking to do about it and for sure both Muslims and non-Muslims can review what aspects of religious belief contribute to the development of extremist views and actions. That doesn't get away from the fact that an overwhelming majority of Muslims do not engage in, or support these actions and acting as though they do, labelling and stereotyping because we are angry, directly plays into the hands of the extremists and makes their game work for them.

Let me ask you a question.

If national opinion polls show similar beliefs between those classed as extremists and those classed as normal, would that be classed as bigotry?

Would TSR accept the statistics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
i spent a very happy year in Paris before going to university. the poor people who were murdered yesterday were out having fun with their friends and family. many would have been the same age as i was.

having fun and freedom are the exact opposite of what the murderers want for us.

enjoy being young and happy in France and wherever you are :rose:

http://fr.blingee.com/blingee/get_code/130236040?image=780655058
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Let me ask you a question.

If national opinion polls show similar beliefs between those classed as extremists and those classed as normal, would that be classed as bigotry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it would. In the past the majority of people accepted slavery and homophobia. It doesn't make either of them acceptable.
Original post by Captain Jack
Yes it would. In the past the majority of people accepted slavery and homophobia. It doesn't make either of them acceptable.

So if someone was to say that there are similarities between the normal muslim on the street and terrorists - namely said areas on suicide bombers ect- with opinion polls showing the overlap it would still he within the sites rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jedanselemyia
100% agreed

Hopefully these events will cause a true reflection in France on national cohesion and islamophobia, that the Charlie Hebdo did not cause unfortunately :frown:

Islamophobia is legit. Islam like any conservative religion is bad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending