The Student Room Group

2016 Nursing Applicants!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by futurechildnurse
I have been invited to attend an interview at Coventry uni for child nursing on 16.1.16!

I have one there for mental health nursing on 14th December! I'll let you know what sort of things they ask

Original post by topdot12
Anyone heard from Leeds?

I have a selection day for mental health nursing there on 27th November. They were the second uni to get back to me but it could be different for other branches of nursing as I think this interview is specific to MH- no news is good news! Fingers crossed for you
i have realised that i have made a stupid mistake on my ps... what shall i do???????
i need help.... im stressing soo much....pls help
Original post by mismash
i have realised that i have made a stupid mistake on my ps... what shall i do???????

What mistake did you make and when did you send your application off?
Reply 724
Jade I can see u have been for ur interview, mine is the week coming. Any tips xx
I'm doing childrens xx
Original post by jnenp
I have one there for mental health nursing on 14th December! I'll let you know what sort of things they ask

I have a selection day for mental health nursing there on 27th November. They were the second uni to get back to me but it could be different for other branches of nursing as I think this interview is specific to MH- no news is good news! Fingers crossed for you

Thank you. I really want to go to this uni so I'm just panicking a bit.. Did you hear by email or UCAS?
Hi, I am 17 years old and in year 12, I would like to study either general nursing or adult nursing, however I am concerned that I lack the experience required to gain entry into a university to study this!My only experience of working with people includes being a mentor to the younger years at my school (if that even counts) and doing 2 weeks work experience at The Royal London hospital. I am taking A Levels Biology, Chemistry, Theology and AS Maths. Do you think that this is ok so far? :s-smilie:
Reply 728
Original post by topdot12
Thank you. I really want to go to this uni so I'm just panicking a bit.. Did you hear by email or UCAS?

I heard by email, nothing about any of my interviews has been updated on my UCAS!
Reply 729
Original post by sugarcanepenguin
Hi, I am 17 years old and in year 12, I would like to study either general nursing or adult nursing, however I am concerned that I lack the experience required to gain entry into a university to study this!My only experience of working with people includes being a mentor to the younger years at my school (if that even counts) and doing 2 weeks work experience at The Royal London hospital. I am taking A Levels Biology, Chemistry, Theology and AS Maths. Do you think that this is ok so far? :s-smilie:

I couldn't get any hospital experience and I've got interviews at 4/5 universities I applied to so far, so you've already done better than me! My experience is working with people with mental health problems for a charity. I think they tend to be a bit more understanding with younger applicants and their experience as it is difficult to get things when you're under 18. I would still try to get some more if you can though- there's still time and the more you have, the better your application will be. Have you tried asking at nursing/care homes?
Original post by jnenp
I couldn't get any hospital experience and I've got interviews at 4/5 universities I applied to so far, so you've already done better than me! My experience is working with people with mental health problems for a charity. I think they tend to be a bit more understanding with younger applicants and their experience as it is difficult to get things when you're under 18. I would still try to get some more if you can though- there's still time and the more you have, the better your application will be. Have you tried asking at nursing/care homes?
Thank you and congratulations on the interviews! I will probably look into doing some work experience at a care home :smile:
Original post by Rabia25
What mistake did you make and when did you send your application off?

i missed a word out in a sentence and it now doesnt make sense. i sent in off on friday.......anyone pls help... the unis are not open in the weekends so i cant call them up... pls help
(edited 8 years ago)

General nursing is not a thing anymore, you either do adult, child, mental health or learning disabilities. A small number of universities offer certain branches in combination.

Your experience sounds suitable. You could try volunteering in your local care home or group for older adults?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone ,

Branch: Learning Disability Nursing
Applying to: UWL ( Brentford site ) , Kingston University ( Surrey ) , Chester , University of Wales ( Pontypridd site ) and Herts University
I am a qualified and registered dental nurse . I completed my NVQ level 3 in Oral Health Care , Post Dental Nurse qualification certificate in Oral Health Education. I completed my Access Course in 2014 .
I work with the community dental service supporting patients both adult and children with mild to moderate learning disabilities.
I volunteer as a support worker working with young adults with LD Charity
Original post by amyc123
General nursing is not a thing anymore, you either do adult, child, mental health or learning disabilities. A small number of universities offer certain branches in combination.Your experience sounds suitable. You could try volunteering in your local care home or group for older adults? Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the advice! I will most likely do adult nursing and I will probably get some work experience at a care home :smile:
Thank you for the advice! I will most likely do adult nursing and I will probably get some work experience at a care home :smile:

As long as you can apply any experience to nursing and how it will help you being a good nurse, you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for September 2016 undergraduate Nursing (Adult)
So far my choices are: University of Leeds, Kings College London and Kingston University.
I'm aiming to study in London, does anyone have any recommendations for London university's for nursing?

Also, i already have a degree in Music, do you think this will give me a better chance of getting a place?
I've got a an English and maths test to do for mh nursing, but tbh I seem to be a bit rubbish at it these days!!
Does anyone know if there's any practice papers avaliable other good places to revise? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone!

I have applied for adult nursing at university of Surrey, Liverpool, East Anglia, Coventry and Birmingham. I have had a weeks work experience in a hospital and volunteer at a nursing home for elderly people with dementia and a charity which organises projects for children with learning disabilities. I have sent my UCAS application off last Friday, now feeling very nervous haha!

Just wondering if anyone has any interview tips or are in a similar boat to me? Thanks, good luck!
Hey guys,
quick question. Do we have to have a CRB check already done before the interview?

Quick Reply