The Student Room Group

Muslims in the West, should be more vocal against terrorism...

Scroll to see replies

I disagree - Muslims are very vocal in their comments against terrorism.

But those comments are shamefully under-reported.
Reply 21
Original post by scrotgrot
@AzimH, @Randall13, @DiceTheSlice, @mil88, @rede121, all Muslims and non-Muslims of TSR.

Please post your own condemnations and those of Muslim groups in my shiny new thread and vote in the poll.

Have the thread trend so that we can gather as much data as possible, particularly on the stance of TSR's Muslim population.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3724839

@Stychomythia @seeXYZ
Hey, I was trying to speak out against the attacks in Paris but I saw a comment from @The Blue Axolotl which read "Why is it so hard for Muslims not to accept some responsibility for the attacks - not only yesterday's, but Charlie Hebdo and 7/7 amongst others."

I responded with "Last time I checked the Charlie Hebdo attack was in France. I was in London at the time studying for my A levels. I was about 8 when 7/7 happened. Why should I take the blame when I had nothing to do with it? Use your brain before posting something like that." Even though I was clearly not apart of these attacks people like this user will always expect me and others to take the blame. I say no. I shouldn't be asked to say sorry for the actions of others. It's not right. I can condemn their actions but I will not apologies since I had nothing to do with it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AzimH
How about people stop blaming all the Muslims instead and use their head to see the bigger picture? Have you ever though about that my friend.

In fairness AzimH he wasn't blaming all Muslims and specifically mentioned extremists.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, think about it.

The most logical thing for most Muslims to do is stay neutral. That way, no matter who wins, they can avoid punishment. If ISIS wins, they can just swear allegiance and be accepted as good Muslims. But if the Europeans win, they can say that they never liked the terrorists anyway. You see, most of them don't care about anything but being left alone... so they want to position themselves so that they're likely to be left alone no matter who wins. It sounds cold and calculating, but idealism doesn't keep people alive in a war zone.

When you live in a country where there are regime changes every few months, you learn to avoid commenting on politics and being ready to flow with whatever the people in power tell you to believe so that you aren't the nail that gets hammered down, if you know what I mean.

What exactly do they gain from sticking their necks out, other than making a few Europeans feel better and painting a big red target on their own backs for extremists to make an example of them as heretics/apostates? The more you think about it, the more you realise that speaking out is a bad idea. Only an idealist would think otherwise.

I can't sympathise with Muslims on very many things, but I can understand their silence on the issue of terrorist attacks. I won't begrudge anyone the right to maintain a tactical silence.

I have a slight problem with this. What makes you think that ISIS would ever be accepted as 'good' Muslims and that anyone would ever support them? That's a bunch of bull****. There isn't much a normal Muslim person can do in terms of being vocal. Whether you want to believe this or not, we're the ones who are suffering the most.
Reply 24
Original post by AzimH
How about people stop blaming all the Muslims instead and use their head to see the bigger picture? Have you ever though about that my friend.

Well you know what, people are simple, they like to generalise, and they're generalising "all Muslims are this and that... etc " (wrongly I agreed).

But hey we live in a democracy, the ignorance get the same vote as the educated, and there are more ignorance people ... their view will dominate, society will become more intolerance... the only way of turning the ignorance is by making bold gesture .... against terror.
Reply 25
Original post by seeXYZ
Well you know what, people are simple, they like to generalise, and they're generalising "all Muslims are this and that... etc " (wrongly I agreed).

But hey we live in a democracy, the ignorance get the same vote as the educated, and there are more ignorance people ... their view will dominate, society will become more intolerance... the only way of turning the ignorance is by making bold gesture .... against terror.

There's a lot of truth in your comment and I agree. I'm honestly just sick that these people are hijacking my religion and I will always be blamed for their actions. I hate being called every name in the book just because I follow a religion.
Original post by HemmingsHood
I have a slight problem with this. What makes you think that ISIS would ever be accepted as 'good' Muslims and that anyone would ever support them? That's a bunch of bull****. There isn't much a normal Muslim person can do in terms of being vocal. Whether you want to believe this or not, we're the ones who are suffering the most.

Well, what I mean is that Muslims do have the option of swearing allegiance to ISIS if Europe is conquered by them, in order to survive.

Maybe it wouldn't be ethical to support them, and maybe they even hate ISIS, but why wouldn't they just switch to the winning side if ISIS were winning for the sake of self-preservation? You really don't think it's logical that they would do so?
Original post by AzimH
@Stychomythia @seeXYZ
Hey, I was trying to speak out against the attacks in Paris but I saw a comment from @The Blue Axolotl which read "Why is it so hard for Muslims not to accept some responsibility for the attacks - not only yesterday's, but Charlie Hebdo and 7/7 amongst others."

I responded with "Last time I checked the Charlie Hebdo attack was in France. I was in London at the time studying for my A levels. I was about 8 when 7/7 happened. Why should I take the blame when I had nothing to do with it? Use your brain before posting something like that." Even though I was clearly not apart of these attacks people like this user will always expect me and others to take the blame. I say no. I shouldn't be asked to say sorry for the actions of others. It's not right. I can oppose their actions but I will not apologies since I had nothing to do with it.

Some Austrians and Germans I have met feel really uncomfortable speaking of Nazis, even though none of them were alive at the time. They tell me that they feel responsible for what their respective contries got involved with.

I share some responsability for the fire attacks at the refugee camp in Calais. I take responsabilty for the thousands of Syrian and Iraqi refugees forced away from their homes... so I chose to allow them into my country.

Have some respect.
Original post by jeremy1988
Well, what I mean is that Muslims do have the option of swearing allegiance to ISIS if Europe is conquered by them, in order to survive.

Maybe it wouldn't be ethical to support them, and maybe they even hate ISIS, but why wouldn't they just switch to the winning side if ISIS were winning for the sake of self-preservation? You really don't think it's logical that they would do so?

I mean it is logical but a little delusional. I don't think ISIS will ever conquer Europe or the west in fact. If you think about it, they're just a group of uneducated men with guns and bombs.
I condemn the attacks in Paris these people are not muslims and in no way shape or form does the quran allow people to kill inncocent individuals #PrayersForParis
Reply 30
Original post by The Blue Axolotl
Some Austrians and Germans I have met feel really uncomfortable speaking of Nazis, even though none of them were alive at the time. They tell me that they feel responsible for what their respective contries got involved with.

I share some responsability for the fire attacks at the refugee camp in Calais. I take responsabilty for the thousands of Syrian and Iraqi refugees forced away from their homes... so I chose to allow them into my country.

Have some respect.

I feel no responsibility for the attacks since I have nothing to do with them. How dare you tell me to "have some respect". I pray for those in Paris and their family but i have nothing to do with the attacks. I honestly hope you are trolling right now, if not god help you.
Original post by AzimH
I feel no responsibility for the attacks since I have nothing to do with them. How dare you tell me to "have some respect". I pray for those in Paris and their family but i have nothing to do with the attacks. I honestly hope you are trolling right now, if not god help you.

Yeah, whatever... I don't give a hoot about what you think or feel.
Original post by AzimH
There's a lot of truth in your comment and I agree. I'm honestly just sick that these people are hijacking my religion and I will always be blamed for their actions. I hate being called every name in the book just because I follow a religion.

Ironic you use the word 'hijack' isn't it :lol:

You've got the wrong end of the stick... I'm tired of having to attempting to explain what "responsability" means in this case, and I'm sure a lot of people here are sick and tired of your self-victimisation too.
Original post by AzimH
@Stychomythia @seeXYZ

I responded with "Last time I checked the Charlie Hebdo attack was in France. I was in London at the time studying for my A levels. I was about 8 when 7/7 happened. Why should I take the blame when I had nothing to do with it? Use your brain before posting something like that." Even though I was clearly not apart of these attacks people like this user will always expect me and others to take the blame. I say no. I shouldn't be asked to say sorry for the actions of others. It's not right. I can condemn their actions but I will not apologies since I had nothing to do with it.

A nuance I had not considered but with which I entirely agree. How about "the Muslim community" should accept some responsibility? Is it your view that the Muslim community, whatever that is, does all it can to quash extremism?
Many of the people who are going to have a go at Muslims as a whole for what has happened in Paris are happy to sit behind their computer and expect someone else to take responsibility. Meanwhile in the Middle East, the vast majority of those fighting ISIS are Muslims. The vast majority of the suffering at the hands of ISIS is done by Muslims.
Reply 35
Whatever floats your boat, thundercunt.

And... You still reply. Hmmm so you're illiterate as well as a cretin.

Have some respect.

The sense of personal responsibility in Austria and Germany stems principally from the fact that many people were nominal members of the NSDAP in order to preserve their careers, or that family members had been serving in the Wehrmacht, or that some voted for the party in the 1932 and 1933 elections.

I maintain that there is no reason for Austrians and Germans to feel personally responsible for the actions of the Nazis at that time. Nevertheless, the proximity of it all to normal family life is what prompts a feeling of personal responsibility as a coping strategy.

Needless to say, the situation with Muslims is far different: of several million British Muslims, only a few hundred have had family members fight for ISIS in Syria, and none have had to become members of ISIS to preserve themselves.

Similarly, I share no responsibility for the reprisals at the Calais camp, nor for for example the Anders Breivik or Dylann Roof attacks. I feel some for the Syrian refugees given that it is partly due to the foreign policy of the government we voted in that they are fleeing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by Quantex
.... Meanwhile in the Middle East, the vast majority of those fighting ISIS are Muslims. The vast majority of the suffering at the hands of ISIS is done by Muslims.

This is true, which makes it even more sensible for Muslims in the West to stand-up against these extremists. They should have no welcome, no quarter, no sympathy in our own backyard. Once that message is made clear to these extremists and reinforced with real action, then you will lessen the growing prejudice against the Muslims community (in the West) and protect the integrity of your belief.
Original post by AzimH
A lot of high ranking Imams have rightly stated that ISIS are not Muslims and have opposed them, however that being said people continue to say stuff like "ISIS are Muslims and all Muslims are terrorist". You just have to look at TSR to see this as well. No matter what we say, we will be ignored and told that we are terrorists regardless. So I actually see no point in speaking out now as my words mean so little.

We'll be damned if we do, we'll be damned if we don't.

I couldn't have put it better myself
Reply 39
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
I couldn't have put it better myself

:colondollar: Thanks. I'm glad you agree with me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending