The Student Room Group

People who don't want kids are lucky.

Scroll to see replies

Gosh,I think the OP has come in for some somewhat unfair comments.

I think a woman who is sure she doesn't want kids is definitely to some extent or other lucky.

And not just because study after study shows that having children doesn't increase ones happiness overall.

The main disadvantage as has been stated is probably the increased likelihood of loneliness in old age.

But you know the greatest loneliness of all is arguably that particularly acute loneliness that is only felt by women in unhappy marriages.*

And having children doesn't necessarily insure you against suffering it.

I always knew I didn't want children and for me it was simply a matter of not wanting to bring life into a world I have always seen as simply too awful.

When you think about all the suffering that each extra human being causes to countless animals - and often to each other!- throughout their lifetime, one way or another, and the amount of rubbish each extra person produces in their lifetime and the amount of resources each extra person consumes in their lifetime, then not bringing another child into this world is easily the greatest 'contribution' an ordinary person can make to this planet I very much believe.

Because of course it's usually not just a case of one extra person but 1000s and 1000s of extra people if they and their children reproduce.

If such a person is also able to be satisfied with living in a flat instead of a house then they are also helping to alleviate the housing crisis to boot.

And if they are happy to go relatively early to boot.....

Thus I wish the OP the very best of luck........

* I have possibly read too many novels by female authors especially of a certain age.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by cherryred90s
Call me old fashioned, but I find it very strange that so many people on this thread do not want children. Surely it can't just be about the money?

I have already said it is not about the money....I just don't want children.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
It's good for humanity if you don't procreate.

Thanks

Hi there, banned member.
Original post by driftawaay
I have already said it is not about the money....I just don't want children.

Your opening statement was really just about money but each to their own or however the saying goes
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It's strange that people who want children spend so much of their time telling those who don't that they'll change their mind or regret it when they get past reproductive age but no-one really tells people who want children they will change their mind.

I guess it's because most people will have/want children at some point, so if you say you don't want to have children, you're more likely to change your mind than the other way around
(edited 8 years ago)
I guess it's because most people will have children at some point, so if you say you don't children, you're more likely to change your mind than the other way around

No, it's just because most people are ***** and like to tell people that they should live their lives exactly how everyone else does, otherwise you aren't normal.
Tbh, I have a great desire to bring up children (not for a very long time though!). However, my desire does not mean I want to have my own children. I would much rather adopt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SmallTownGirl
It's strange that people who want children spend so much of their time telling those who don't that they'll change their mind or regret it when they get past reproductive age but no-one really tells people who want children they will change their mind.

How do you know I want children? I'm merely saying no one can see the future. People that don't want children may change their minds and vice versa.
lol, but aren't you like 17?

Doesn't mean the desire isn't there :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest