The Student Room Group

Can a guy and girl be just friends?

I was discussing this with some friends, and in the end many of them agreed to disagree.
What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Yes.
Original post by NOONA.
I was discussing this with some friends, and in the end many of them agreed to disagree.
What do you guys think?

i dont see why guys and girls cant be just friends. its not impossible so the answer to your question is yes
Reply 3
Straight people are weird haha jk. Yes, absolutely.
I think so. The majority of my friends are guys, it's not like I'm gonna get into a relationship with all of them aha. But of course they can be great friends. One guy I'm friends with I think of as my brother and I personally would think its wierd to think of them differently.
Yehh but if the girl is attractive then 9/10 the guy is wanting to shag her.
Yes for sure. Not everyone is attracted to everyone else. However, of course it is more likely that if you spend lots of time with someone you get close.
Well, if you followed that logic:
- a gay person can't possibly be friends with people of the same gender
- as for bi people?

Most of my friends are male. I've got no interest in shagging them.
Always!

What kind of question?...what kind of thought process?

If you had a sister and everyone found her attractive would you do something to her?
or think about it?
Would you stop talking to her because your feelings are so strong?
or try and pursue her ?
NO.

So I don't see why it's different if you had an attractive female friend.
In certain circumstances, yes.

But, most of the time, eventually, if they get close enough, I am sceptical.
Original post by NOONA.
What do you guys think?

Of course. I am a girl who plays MOBA-style games. These are multi-player games which require cooperation in a team, so it is often beneficial to join a guild. Naturally, I know most people in the gaming society are male. I managed to fool everyone into thinking I was a guy for about a month, until I was asked to voice chat. By this point I had a team, and was friends with much of the guild. I had a few close friends with whom I identified strongly.

As a child, I had a very close male friend who I still know now. He's gay, but that ain't the point ;p I can get along well enough with guy friends from his school (boys' grammar).

Sometimes I believe that I prefer a guy's company because they are more straightforward and don't bother with stupid ****ty mind games. If you have beef with someone, say it and say it with style, but don't waste your bloody time sending subliminal messages trying to signal to them that you have a problem with them (I have seen so many girls do this, it's ridiculous).

I hate seeing girls sweet talk someone that I know they secretly want to stab. Guys are also on average less clingy and more independent. A clingy person, to me, is a weak and boring individual. A social guy knows when to back the **** off and when to be friendly. Their goal is to have a good time together and look out for those they trust, not to be everyone's 'BFF'. When with the guild, I appreciate the rough humour and lewd jokes which no one ever says seriously. It's a light atmosphere laced with competition and the odd dot of intellectual conversation mixed with not-so-intellectual topics. For me, that's something which I find is often missing at my school (which is all girls). They tend to be quiet or often sarcastic in their humour.
Reply 12
I have a lot girls that just friends so I say yes
Yes
Depends on the girl or the guy.

Scratch that: Depends on the guy.
The closest girl friend I ever had, stuff ending up happening, men and women are just not supposed to be friends.

Girls who are friends with guys usually enjoy the extra attention they know girls wouldn't give them
yeah, i have a lot of guy friends as I can be more comfortable with them plus I was raised in a family with more guys and have no sister so I can make friends with guys easier.
Of course. I have lots of guy friends, they don't fancy me and I don't fancy them. I don't see what the problem could be .
Yes
Um, duh. I have loads of guy friends which are purely platonic relationships :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest