The Student Room Group

Mental Health Nursing Advice

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone's ever been able to go back home from university, to do a placement closer to home? I'm just interested because I live ten minutes away from Blackburn Hospital, which has its own psychiatric hospital, on site - but I'm not too interested in applying for UCLAN (our local university) because of some of the things I've heard about it.

I've applied for Cardiff, Liverpool JM, Kingston, Bedfordshire and Plymouth if that makes any difference

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shotsboy123
Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone's ever been able to go back home from university, to do a placement closer to home? I'm just interested because I live ten minutes away from Blackburn Hospital, which has its own psychiatric hospital, on site - but I'm not too interested in applying for UCLAN (our local university) because of some of the things I've heard about it.

I've applied for Cardiff, Liverpool JM, Kingston, Bedfordshire and Plymouth if that makes any difference

Thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As far as I know, universities have set trusts that they work with for placements so if a trust "belongs" to a particular university that isn't your university they probably couldn't place you there except if you arranged your elective placement there.
Original post by claireestelle
As far as I know, universities have set trusts that they work with for placements so if a trust "belongs" to a particular university that isn't your university they probably couldn't place you there except if you arranged your elective placement there.

Oh okay! Thanks for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will someone please be able to help me as I am panicking!
I've applied for mental health nursing at various universities and sent my application today. I do not have direct work experience with working with people with mental disorders how likely is this to hold back my application? I have written about work I did with an educational psychologist and schemes I've helped out with in my school including mentoring younger students.
Thank you for any replies
Original post by readyforuni
Will someone please be able to help me as I am panicking!
I've applied for mental health nursing at various universities and sent my application today. I do not have direct work experience with working with people with mental disorders how likely is this to hold back my application? I have written about work I did with an educational psychologist and schemes I've helped out with in my school including mentoring younger students.
Thank you for any replies

Direct experience helps but you ve got something related, just make sure you speak about what you ve learnt from it and what you know about the role of the mh nurse in your interview :smile:
Reply 5
I live in the channel Islands and unis have been known to let people come home and do placements for adult, so may be worth asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swagio
I live in the channel Islands and unis have been known to let people come home and do placements for adult, so may be worth asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Awesome, sort of hoping they'll let me then.

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply