The Student Room Group

Should we crank down on Islam?

Scroll to see replies

Why not 'crank down' on those actually committing the crimes, I'd support the imprisonment of the main leaders of IS. There's possibly over 200,000 (there's a range of estimates from 50,000 however, but lets consider the worst case scenario) IS supporters across the world. Figures suggest there are around 1.6 billion muslims across the world. Some simple maths, if the number of IS supporters is 200,000, and if all of these claim to be muslim, puts that 0.0125% of Islam is IS. Boko Haram has a maximum of around 10,000 supporters, so that doesn't change the statistic a lot. Neither does the 27,000 for al-Qaeda, 60,000 for the Taliban. 9,000 for Al-Shabaab. This leads to around 0.02% of the entire muslim community.

Also, to 'crank down' on Islam, you'd be doing something about the faith of 1.6 billion people. Do you know how big a number that is? 1,600,000,000 people. The UK has a population of around 64,000,000, 1/25 of the total amount of muslims across the world. What you seem to be implying is that you want to denounce them of their faith. Good luck with that, there are barely enough people that will support you.
Original post by WokSz
Islam is neither a race nor is it associated with any particular race. By your logic, you should also be arrested for spewing ignorance.

ISIS may be a small minority, but its actions are justified by Islam. I'm not going to bother responding to the rest of your point, as you've clearly never read a book and aren't worth my time.

Lol u are thick beyond belief. It is not justified by Islam at all. Why don't the rest of the Muslim population (99%) believe in Isis ways then? Cuz isis have interpreted the texts wrong in order to benefit themselves, have power and take over their countries. They only use Islam as a reason to justify their barbaric actions to try and convince themselves they're right when they've probably never even read the Quran. They're as dumb as u and that's saying something
Im aware of the fact that they're not a race. But discriminating against a certain group of people and stereotyping them is.. RACIST. U can try and justify all u can that u can discriminate against Muslims cuz it's not racist since they're not a race, but we both know it's racism and discrimination.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by Ribbit1234
It is not justified by Islam at all. Why don't the rest of the Muslim population (99%) believe in Isis ways then?

Neither you nor I know for certain whether the remaining Muslims believe whether the actions of ISIS are justified or not. Believing and acting on something are two very different things. Unless mind-reading has been invented in the last hour since I replied to your comment, this is impossible to conclude. But to deny that Islam preaches violence is to deny the Qur'an or the Hadiths own verses and if you do that, calling yourself a Muslim is incorrect.

Cuz isis have interpreted the texts wrong in order to benefit themselves, have power and take over their countries. They only use Islam as a reason to justify their barbaric actions to try and convince themselves they're right when they've probably never even read the Quran. They're as dumb as u and that's saying something

Let's refrain from name-calling as it's not constructive. Let's use their recent execution of apostates in Syria as an example. Al-Bukhaari, 2794. Read it.

Im aware of the fact that they're not a race. But discriminating against a certain group of people and stereotyping them is.. RACIST

Not at all. Being racist is to discriminate a human being on their race. Islam does not believe in nationality nor in borders therefore, race is not necessarily a concept that Islam defends. It's ironic that so many Muslims nevertheless feel the need to use a word they should not really be believing in to accuse kuffirs of Islamophobia. Quite amusing, really.

U can try and justify all u can that u can discriminate against Muslims cuz it's not racist since they're not a race, but we both know it's racism and discrimination.

It's discrimination, you're right but it is not racist. The latter can be viewed as a sub-category of the former. Islamophobia is very different to racism and it would help if you actually understood Islam and its teachings before you try and defend it. I personally don't care what someone believes (that is after all what European values teach). But I will challenge any individual, such as yourself, who makes ludicrous statements without fully understanding the faith.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by High Stakes
How are you going to crank down on Islam? Let's say you restrict Islam. Close down Mosques and prevent the selling of praying carpets (hypothetical). Muslims pray any place that's clean, so that doesn't do much. Mosques aren't necessary and pretty much any building can become a mosque if it is stationed to be.

What about surveying homes to see if there's any Muslims? What are you gonna do exactly? Add a checkbox for people to tick whether or not they're Muslim? I don't think any rational person who knows they're going to get into trouble will tick yes.

What about banning halal meat? Well, vegetarians? Or they'll just find other sources.

But I guess it all hinges upon what you mean by 'cranking down'?

Ban the indoctrination of children, they have not reached the age of reason and should not be brainwashed by stupid ideas as apposed to choosing to when they are more rationally minded.
Original post by Terry Tibbs
Ban the indoctrination of children, they have not reached the age of reason and should not be brainwashed by stupid ideas as apposed to choosing to when they are more rationally minded.

Another option yes. Pragmatic? No.

At least not unless you have 24/7 surveillance on Muslim families in their own homes.
We can't really crack down on them completely, how would it work? Whenever something is banned or made illegal it still goes on behind closed doors. I think we should stop pandering to them though. No more halal restaurants, mosques, special treatment. We don't treat any other religions in this way and they don't deserve it.
Original post by High Stakes
Another option yes. Pragmatic? No.

At least not unless you have 24/7 surveillance on Muslim families in their own homes.

Of course.
Original post by infairverona
We can't really crack down on them completely, how would it work? Whenever something is banned or made illegal it still goes on behind closed doors. I think we should stop pandering to them though. No more halal restaurants, mosques, special treatment. We don't treat any other religions in this way and they don't deserve it.

There is around 2 million muslims in the UK, they aren't a tiny sect of society, and so special halal restaurants and mosques are necessary to allow them to continue to worship Islam in the UK. We treat Christians in a similar way through the shed loads of churches amongst a plethora of other things (it's worth a mention that that religion started in the middle east too), worshippers of Judaism and Hinduism get synagogues and temples too. Muslims get more of the things you've described because theres more people who are muslim.
Original post by Craig1998
There is around 2 million muslims in the UK, they aren't a tiny sect of society, and so special halal restaurants and mosques are necessary to allow them to continue to worship Islam in the UK. We treat Christians in a similar way through the shed loads of churches amongst a plethora of other things (it's worth a mention that that religion started in the middle east too), worshippers of Judaism and Hinduism get synagogues and temples too. Muslims get more of the things you've described because theres more people who are muslim.

They aren't necessary. We are not a Muslim country and we don't NEED to facilitate Islam. Jews and Hindus are not the ones shooting and bombing people so I have no issue with their peaceful religions, they are not killing people.
Original post by Terry Tibbs

this is so hilarious :lol: this plan that you have dates back to the stuart ages?! Have we not moved forward in time?
Original post by infairverona
They aren't necessary. We are not a Muslim country and we don't NEED to facilitate Islam. Jews and Hindus are not the ones shooting and bombing people so I have no issue with their peaceful religions, they are not killing people.

Palestine?
Original post by Aj12
I can imagine ISIS's press release the next day, "look guys we were right all along".

Questions need to be asked as to why young Muslims are attracted to terrorist groups. However claiming that Islam as a whole is the problem is intellectually lazy and will cause more terrorism and hate in the long run. If we want to deal with terrorism and stop attacks like this we need a multifaceted approach that will involve Muslims.

this
Original post by ThatGurl
this is so hilarious :lol: this plan that you have dates back to the stuart ages?! Have we not moved forward in time?

...what?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending