The Student Room Group

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jammy Duel
Why just for the next three, why not for your whole life? To me, with the change of compulsory education to 18, the reason is obvious. Your compulsory education is paid for my the taxpayer, what you then go on to CHOOSE to do should be funded by the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do you agree that the university should be an individuals choice ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Why just for the next three, why not for your whole life? To me, with the change of compulsory education to 18, the reason is obvious. Your compulsory education is paid for my the taxpayer, what you then go on to CHOOSE to do should be funded by the individual.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is 3 years on top of a previous 13 years really comparable with your whole life...?
Original post by MoniqueBubbles
So do you agree that the university should be an individuals choice ?

Yes, are you saying that it is not? As far as I'm concerned, sixth form shouldn't be compulsory and should be entirely optional, but then youth unemployment would go up

Is 3 years on top of a previous 13 years really comparable with your whole life...?

Yeah, because it's an optional three years, like doing it at any other time in your life, and the natural progress is then towards lifetime 'free' education. And suppose we take that three years to be about £9k p/a, and call it nearer 4 for an average considering masters and longer courses, that time at university costs about the same as those 13 compulsory years.
Yes, are you saying that it is not? As far as I'm concerned, sixth form shouldn't be compulsory and should be entirely optional, but then youth unemployment would go up

Yeah, because it's an optional three years, like doing it at any other time in your life, and the natural progress is then towards lifetime 'free' education. And suppose we take that three years to be about £9k p/a, and call it nearer 4 for an average considering masters and longer courses, that time at university costs about the same as those 13 compulsory years.

Ok, I personally think university should be regarded in same way sixth form and college was... not compulsory but funded by the state anyway....uni's would still receive the amount of money they are getting anyway from the tax payers and it's a natural choice for the majority of students and a good amount of tax payers themselves so why not ?
n/a
Ok, I personally think university should be regarded in same way sixth form and college was... not compulsory but funded by the state anyway....uni's would still receive the amount of money they are getting anyway from the tax payers and it's a natural choice for the majority of students and a good amount of tax payers themselves so why not ?

So, what do you cut or what tax do you increase to pay for it? It isn't cheap, looking at well over 10bn

Posted from TSR Mobile
But you start university at the age of 18. Mature students are 21+, they're the ones who would have to pay

University isn't just for 18 year olds. Anyone can go to university. The label of mature or not is irrelevant. It is still a choice to go to university. If you think that everyone does and should go to university the minute they finish sixth-form (and think that all university students got there from sixth-form) you are clueless.

It is an adult choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Moonstruck16
University isn't just for 18 year olds. Anyone can go to university. The label of mature or not is irrelevant. It is still a choice to go to university. If you think that everyone does and should go to university the minute they finish sixth-form (and think that all university students got there from sixth-form) you are clueless.

It is an adult choice.

What I'm saying is it should be considered as sixth form or college was
What I'm saying is it should be considered as sixth form or college was

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because a good majority of tax payers themselves pay for uni fee's anyway, plus, it's a common choice for a good majority of students... so why not just make it state funded, the costs are very similar to the previous 11 compulsory years.. so why complicate things

It is an adult choice.

as anyone could go to college or sixth form too but mature students had to pay but not in excess of 9 grand annually lol
as anyone could go to college or sixth form too but mature students had to pay but not in excess of 9 grand annually lol

Because many people go to university for the wrong reason. Education up to 16 is needed if you want to get anywhere. College and sixth-form will get you those initial skills but university isn't AS necessary.

Like you said, it's a common path. If only a few people went I would agree with it being state-funded, but at this point in time where anybody and their dog can go, there needs to be something to make people think. Is it the right CHOICE.

Also, the cost may be the same, but the standard of education obviously should not be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
So, what do you cut or what tax do you increase to pay for it? It isn't cheap, looking at well over 10bn

Posted from TSR Mobile

We can follow in the footsteps of Germany
We can follow in the footsteps of Germany

We are billions of pounds in debt from student loans anyway so cuts etc are already being put in place to pay for it lol, we are already paying for it lol
Because many people go to university for the wrong reason. Education up to 16 is needed if you want to get anywhere. College and sixth-form will get you those initial skills but university isn't AS necessary.

Like you said, it's a common path. If only a few people went I would agree with it being state-funded, but at this point in time where anybody and their dog can go, there needs to be something to make people think. Is it the right CHOICE.

Also, the cost may be the same, but the standard of education obviously should not be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, unfortunately most of education from secondary school onwards is really just regurgitation, I got to my uni lectures and all the teacher does is read from the presentation information that we can find in books and online already...from what I've seen it's really not that different from college...definitely not a 27k worth difference.... I agree with the making people stop and think "is this what I really want to do?" but as we can see the 9 grand isn't doing a good job lol, especially from what I can see from the people around me. Tbh it's more of a choice brought upon by family and societal pressure.. But the one thing that will always distinguish those who really wanted to be there and those who didn't is the grade received at the end... not everyone is going to get a first so that distinguishing factor is always going to be there anyway
Yep, unfortunately most of education from secondary school onwards is really just regurgitation, I got to my uni lectures and all the teacher does is read from the presentation information that we can find in books and online already...from what I've seen it's really not that different from college...definitely not a 27k worth difference.... I agree with the making people stop and think "is this what I really want to do?" but as we can see the 9 grand isn't doing a good job lol, especially from what I can see from the people around me. Tbh it's more of a choice brought upon by family and societal pressure.. But the one thing that will always distinguish those who really wanted to be there and those who didn't is the grade received at the end... not everyone is going to get a first so that distinguishing factor is always going to be there anyway

I agree that 9k is too much.

The majority of people get 2:1s. It's nothing special. And a first from one uni will be easier/harder to get from another.

Graduates are just being churned out. What really counts is experience and you don't need university for this. Unless your career path actually requires a degree too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if uni was free, you'd have even more people going to uni for the wrong reason. At least with the fees, you have people thinking about whether the debt is really worth it.
Original post by OU Student
If we lowered fees, where would the extra money come from? You've already had some 13 years of free education, why is it so wrong to expect you to now pay for your education? As a graduate, you generally earn more than someone who goes straight from college to work.

It's one of the cheapest loans with one of the best deals you'll ever get.

See my post re where the money would come from. I don't like the way you've suggested that 13 years of free education is a gift, and that students should be grateful and not expect more. People need to be educated, who's to say that education should stop after high school? I believe that a degree is now the new high school diploma.

Graduates earning more is not a good enough reason why they should pay. If everyone has the opportunity to go to university, you can hardly argue those that make the choice to go have an advantage.

It isn't a cheap loan, actually - that is a bit of a myth. Certainly it is cheaper than bank loans but that doesn't mean it is a good deal. The government can change the terms of the loan at any point, they have already said they plan to freeze the loan repayment threshold!

Original post by OU Student
I think if uni was free, you'd have even more people going to uni for the wrong reason. At least with the fees, you have people thinking about whether the debt is really worth it.

Again, see my post. Do you have any evidence to support this claim? It didn't happen in Germany so why assume it'd happen here?
Original post by Snufkin

I believe that a degree is now the new high school diploma.

This perfectly sums up how useless a degree is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This perfectly sums up how useless a degree is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it doesn't. Everyone goes to school, therefore school is useless too? :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending