The Student Room Group

Applying to Study Law 2016

Scroll to see replies

I just got a conditional offer from KCL!
hello, i just had a interview today at cam for law, it went really well, hopefully i get the offer
They were like do u havre any experienc e i was like yeah,
Reply 723
Original post by palakattu42
Would it be okay for me to know what your As grades and predictions are?

I got AAAB at AS and am predicted A*A*A at A2
Reply 724
Original post by gemmabeth
I just got a conditional offer from KCL!

Well done! Do you mind saying when you applied and your as grades/a2 predictions?
Offers from Warwick/Bristol/Durham yet anyone? :/

If so what were your stats? I sent my application off ages ago and heard nothing. Does this mean I'm rejected? :/

My application was:
- 8A*s 2 As
- AAAB at AS (B was explained in my reference - something about exam boards?)
- Good personal statement (Cambridge Law Conference, work exp in UN in Geneva, extend project, magistrates court, standards clubs, 2 books read, deputy head boy, south of england sport, 1st team rugby captain, 1st team cricket captain etc)
- LNAT = don't know

Any feed back would be so helpful :smile: Thank you and good luck with all your applications
Original post by HelpMePlease909

If so what were your stats? I sent my application off ages ago and heard nothing. Does this mean I'm rejected? :/

My application was:
- 8A*s 2 As
- Good personal statement (Cambridge Law Conference, work exp in UN in Geneva, extend project, magistrates court, standards clubs, 2 books read, deputy head boy, south of england sport, 1st team rugby captain, 1st team cricket captain etc)
- LNAT = don't know

Any feed back would be so helpful :smile: Thank you and good luck with all your applications

nope, I applied to Warwick, Durham and Bristol and have heard nothing yet, and my grades are stellar
Original post by LoveToArgue
nope, I applied to Warwick, Durham and Bristol and have heard nothing yet, and my grades are stellar

Such humility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NOP97
How much reading are we talking? Per week for example.

Depends heavily on the module and the university, but for core modules at a decent RG law faculty you're looking at an average reading list (per seminar) of a chapter in a textbook (20-50 pages), 10-15 cases (each about 10-20 pages), perhaps a few sections of statute and three or four journal articles. You might have three or four seminars per week.

That said, everyone is selective in their reading, and a main skill to be developed from a law degree is speed-reading to pick out the important information.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman

But they actually are though.
Reply 730
Original post by NOP97
How much reading are we talking? Per week for example.

Well, it might be different for different unis - but for bristol we have 5 units (excluding the introductory unit) and each unit has a seminar every two weeks you need to prepare for. For each seminar you're given around 2-3 chapters of books to read (these vary, some being some 20 pages, some nearing 70/80), around 5/6 cases (which can vary in length, one is 100 pages, some are around 10 pages) and then articles and journals, and thats just the essential reading. You are also then given further reading to do, but usually there just isn't the time.

Per week i'd say (depending on where your seminars are spaced over the two weeks) around 5/6 chapters of books, 12ish cases, journals and articles, and then preparing answers for discussion, and writing essay structures etc. (if you were to do the minimum asked of you, which is usually all you are able to do)

It's totally doable, but when you have lectures, extra curricular, and essays on top of that - it can feel like a lot. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions, more than happy to help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 731
Original post by HelpMePlease909

My application was:
- 8A*s 2 As
- LNAT = don't know

You'll be fine - some unis just take a while to respond don't fret
Reply 732
Original post by Wrf95
Well, it might be different for different unis - but for bristol we have 5 units (excluding the introductory unit) and each unit has a seminar every two weeks you need to prepare for. For each seminar you're given around 2-3 chapters of books to read (these vary, some being some 20 pages, some nearing 70/80), around 5/6 cases (which can vary in length, one is 100 pages, some are around 10 pages) and then articles and journals, and thats just the essential reading. You are also then given further reading to do, but usually there just isn't the time.

Per week i'd say (depending on where your seminars are spaced over the two weeks) around 5/6 chapters of books, 12ish cases, journals and articles, and then preparing answers for discussion, and writing essay structures etc. (if you were to do the minimum asked of you, which is usually all you are able to do)

It's totally doable, but when you have lectures, extra curricular, and essays on top of that - it can feel like a lot. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions, more than happy to help

That seems like quite a step up from A-Level. Heh.
Reply 733
Original post by NOP97
That seems like quite a step up from A-Level. Heh.

Oh yes
Reply 734
Original post by callum_law
The Guardian rankings should not be taken seriously by any sane man, for the same reason no sane man would elect to go to UEA over Edinburgh. CUG are a much more reliable ranking system and QMUL is outside the top 10.

All I can say is that you did a access course and were asking advice a while back. Good luck getting a training contract, you have no hope in getting any law related work. Keep posting on tsr, it will help your job prospects further I can assure you.
Original post by Joepoa
All I can say is that you did a access course and were asking advice a while back. Good luck getting a training contract, you have no hope in getting any law related work. Keep posting on tsr, it will help your job prospects further I can assure you.

I have never asked for advice on this site. I am not sure why you're so bitter, but it's nice to know that I have such an effect on you for you to the this angry. I have powers.
Original post by CJaneH
Well done! Do you mind saying when you applied and your as grades/a2 predictions?

Thank you! I got 14A*'s and 2A's at GCSE and AABB at AS in Biology, History, Chemistry and English Lit and my predictions are A*A*A*, I applied on the 6th of October but had already done the LNAT, good luck with your application!
Original post by gemmabeth
Thank you! I got 14A*'s and 2A's at GCSE and AABB at AS in Biology, History, Chemistry and English Lit and my predictions are A*A*A*, I applied on the 6th of October but had already done the LNAT, good luck with your application!

You did 16 GCSEs?!
Anyone heard from bristol/ Oxford/ UCL/ LSE/ Nottingham ?¿

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rhiannonjayne
You did 16 GCSEs?!

Yeah well 15 because I did EPQ L3 in Y11 and got an A* so counted that as a GCSE..I did 5 in y9/10 though so they were a bit more spread out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending