The Student Room Group

"Shootings" reported in central Paris.

Scroll to see replies

This is escalating. The last decade won't be a standard to refer to future attacks by anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by moggis
Actually it really really isn't.*

Although that report may prove to be inaccurate.

In fact it didn't say they were last nights terrorists.I just assumed it was.

*Most people who criticise the DM have at best only read a few copies.

( I'm a Times and occaisional Guardian reader I hasten to add)

I used to read daily mail everyday religiously when I was in sixth form and then I realised how stupid it was
Reply 922
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Greek Minister has confirmed one terrorist came through greece as refugee in October

#Refugeeswelcome

At least Germany will probably stop their insane stance towards "refugees". Lefties will also shut up (for a week).
Original post by Josb
At least Germany will probably stop their insane stance towards "refugees". Lefties will also shut up (for a week).

Let's see the size of PEGIDA on Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Josb

The reality of her arrogance and selfish wreckless actions should trouble her for a couple of days

Original post by Valyrian
I used to read daily mail everyday religiously when I was in sixth form and then I realised how stupid it was

Really. I'd love to to be able to ask more but it's off topic.

I will just say that of all the things I have seen the Mail be described as ,stupid is not one of them.

It's actually aimed at an intelligent middle class audience with a bias towards females and with interesting informative articles on subjects as diverse as health and history.

Are you sure you are referring to the paper rather than the website?

Because there's a big difference between the two.

The online model is clearly aimed at morons.

The paper is aimed at discerning,intelligent ,middle class women albeit with leanings to the right.

Cheers

Original post by yulebook

RIght-wing = "Why should I pay more in taxes for xxx?"

A few years ago I moved to newspapers like "The Times" or "Financial Times." because I preferred the culturally liberal style of these newspapers. I was looking for something economically centre but culturally left.

Now I get my news from a diverse range of sources. I'm can't say I'm still a Lib but my political views overlap with them, along with Lab and Tories.

The Guardian still has good coverage of minority topics like arts.

I used to be a Guardian reader before switching to the Times and Financial Times.

The Daily Mail IS a rag but it doesn't mean that everything it reports is a lie - most of it is true but it's just been spun so much that it's stupid.

So "snow brings Britain to a halt" turns into "Labour cuts leaves elderly in freezing homes" (But DM leaves out: "because the elderly thought it best they didn't bother the helpline to see why their helper hadn't arrived that day since they were rung in the morning to say that their helper would be delayed".)
Original post by Killuminati1989
Muslims need to be more open to constructive criticism. We are not saying all 1.7 billion people are terrorists or your religion. We know that killing one innocent is like killing the entire human race but we have to start working together and finding out the root cause of these atrocities.

Indeed. I think this is an important step that needs to be taken. Also I think most important that Muslims recognise and acknowledge that there are verses in the Quran (much like the Bible) that can be used to justify acts of evil. Acknowledging this fact does not in any way imply Islam is violent or Muslims are violent, but rather that like any religious book, the Quran is open to interpretation and there are a number of verses in the Quran which can be used to justify these acts.

Original post by Killuminati1989
Countries like Malaysia, Egypt, Indonesia, etc have started working together and banning books written by extremists such as Muhammed bin Abdul Wahab (father of the Saudi Wahabi sect).
There needs to be more reform. Imams need to confront people following these extreme sects.

I'm not too sure if I am comfortable with the banning of books, no matter how radical. Plus I don't think such books will in any way stop these ideas from spreading.
Reply 928
Interestin, although they had AK-47s with themselfs, they were using knifes. That were favourite weapons of the prophet Muhamed believing if they use it virgins will wait in heaven for them.
Reply 929
3 terrorists have been arrested whilst they tried to go to Belgium. The Kouachi brothers also tried to go there.
Reply 930
There were three teams of terrorists.
Reply 931
Original post by Josb
3 terrorists have been arrested whilst they tried to go to Belgium. The Kouachi brothers also tried to go there.

Mmmh, not sure if they been arrested now. They may be in Belgium.
I'm sure this sums up everyones feelings

[video="youtube;im0ymVp8qdo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im0ymVp8qdo[/video]
Flight from holland to Paris grounded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 934
Original post by moggis

The daily mail is full of **** half the time

Actually it really really isn't.

I agree. It's full of **** all the time.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Another day, another multicultural tragedy. The grand social experiment must surely now be approaching an end, there's only so much people will stomach :sad:

Should I assume that's not gonna get a response? :frown: sorry it was so long.
Original post by Josb

Despite that the overwhelming majority of refugees from syria are legitimate, the minority that are probable to be terrorists is large enough that I dont think any should be welcome, since we've no way to discern between embedded terrorist and genuine refugee. You have to place your country before asylum seekers when it's this dangerous to take them in. The danger of this was highlighted when Lebanon (the country to take the most refugees compared to its size) experienced a mini-insurgency of about 800 ISIS fighters embedded among their ~1 million refugees. The terrorists took the lebanese Qalamoun mountains, although Hezbollah has them so far successfully under siege.
Original post by Scrappy-coco
I'm asking you if you are against intervention. Not if you are against the intervention that has happened already. Hence the division.

Depends on the particular circumstance.

I disagree with that simple summary. There absolutely are more reasons for responding than revenge. Deterrence for example. Solving the cause of the problem which would stop the symptoms.

Yes, where exactly was that French nuclear submarine when Paris was being hit?

Well I'll leave the friendly conversation alone and officially call you a loon. Fighting against an invading fascism is helping refugees! It's fighting for the continuation of their home? Is it? I mean, it's solving the problem rather than the symptom. It wasn't a coincidence that this was the matter everyone agreed on once the debate on migrating refugees died down.

It's been a year since we joined the fight. There are nearly 40 countries fighting IS.

You are telling me that 40 countries cannot kill off an army that are portrayed as a ragtag bunch of misfits?
Reply 938
Original post by Hasan_Ahmed
Despite that the overwhelming majority of refugees from syria are legitimate, the minority that are probable to be terrorists is large enough that I dont think any should be welcome, since we've no way to discern between embedded terrorist and genuine refugee. You have to place your country before asylum seekers when it's this dangerous to take them in. The danger of this was highlighted when Lebanon (the country to take the most refugees compared to its size) experienced a mini-insurgency of about 800 ISIS fighters embedded among their ~1 million refugees. The terrorists took the lebanese Qalamoun mountains, although Hezbollah has them so far successfully under siege.

Or at least only accept women and children.
Original post by zgb1
Interestin, although they had AK-47s with themselfs, they were using knifes. That were favourite weapons of the prophet Muhamed believing if they use it virgins will wait in heaven for them.

Perhaps the attackers felt like dicing some onions in between shooting people? You know, for that French Onion Soup...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending