The Student Room Group

Questions about applying to nursing

My maths teacher thinks I should resit C1, C2 and S1 since right now I'm doing C3, C4 and M1 and my C1 and C2 grades are likely to go up to an A if I resit and if I was already going to resit S1 since I got a D. If I resit I could get an A overall if I did well this year too or just a B which I'm ok with.I got high C's in Biology and Psychology and I thought while I'm at it I may as well resit and try and A's or at least high B's so it's easier to get A/B overall this year. Is there any point in resitting or should I just try as hard as I possibly can this year to make sure I get a B overall?I want to do nursing but the Unis I want to go to have higher entry requirements than my current expected grades (BBC). It would also be easier later if I wanted to become a doctor if I had AAA/AAB. Also I'd like to apply for February 2017 so I could just resit and apply for uni again this time next year if they all rejected me this year.
Reply 1
The entry requirement is BBB which I think is what I'm predicted. The typical entry tariff is 404 though and only 27% of participants receive offers so it seems like I'm just throwing away 1 of my choices.. I really want to go there though and I don't have any work experience yet except 2 weeks at a primary school in year 10. I'm gonna apply to volunteer at Age UK next week and put that on my application form but will it even help?
Remember typical is what people tend to have when applying there. With 27% getting in you need to show why you should get one of these spaces like every other course in your personal statement.
Reply 3
I'm going to give in my volunteer application to AgeUK next week and hopefully they can find me something. Also there's some volunteer fair about healthcare coming to my college so hopefully I can find something there.
My question is since I don't have any work experience should I not apply until January so I can at least get 2 months experience before I send my ucas application or should I just wait and apply through clearing or just wait until this time next year to apply for February 2017 entry and then I'll have a years work experience and already have my results too?
I did already want to apply for February 2017 but was told it's better to apply for September 2016 then if I still wanted to I could defer my application.
Any reply at all would be greatly appreciated
Reply 4
Original post by Vikingninja
Remember typical is what people tend to have when applying there. With 27% getting in you need to show why you should get one of these spaces like every other course in your personal statement.

They'd reject me because I haven't got any work experience though wouldn't they? :/
Reply 5
What does registered adult nursing mean?
Does it mean you should already work in healthcare if you're applying so I can't apply since I'm still in college?
On the ucas application it say registered adult nursing
Original post by Pine3278
What does registered adult nursing mean?
Does it mean you should already work in healthcare if you're applying so I can't apply since I'm still in college?
On the ucas application it say registered adult nursing

It just means that you will be an adult nurse registered with the NMC on completion of the degree.
Reply 7
I don't have any work experience yet so if I apply now I'm gonna get all rejections aren't I?
Should I apply in January when I have 2 months of volunteer experience
Or this time next year for February 2017 when I'll have a year of work experience?
Or through clearing next year if I get rejected now?
Reply 8
Original post by ForestCat
It just means that you will be an adult nurse registered with the NMC on completion of the degree.

Oooh omg thank you
Original post by Pine3278
I don't have any work experience yet so if I apply now I'm gonna get all rejections aren't I?
Should I apply in January when I have 2 months of volunteer experience
Or this time next year for February 2017 when I'll have a year of work experience?
Or through clearing next year if I get rejected now?

I think you're over thinking this! Apply now if you want too, not everyone has bags of experience and you don't know whether you will get interviews or not, no one does. See it as being a trial run. Also I don't understand all the re-sits. Sounds like you're making a lot of extra work for yourself and I thought that Gove had stopped students from resits if you've passed.
Last thing! Medicine and nursing are related but different. You need to decide which one you want to do.
Good luck!
Reply 10
Original post by lilibet01
I think you're over thinking this! Apply now if you want too, not everyone has bags of experience and you don't know whether you will get interviews or not, no one does. See it as being a trial run. Also I don't understand all the re-sits. Sounds like you're making a lot of extra work for yourself and I thought that Gove had stopped students from resits if you've passed.
Last thing! Medicine and nursing are related but different. You need to decide which one you want to do.
Good luck!

Thanks for replying :smile:. I'll just send it in January and see how it goes.
The re sits are because my maths teacher wants to to resit all my as exams since they're very likely to go up and I think since I would be revising as biology since some questions in a2 might have stuff to do with that I may as well just revise it properly and resit it.
I guess I don't have to resit psychology

It's not that I want to do medicine it's just my mum always talks about how she wanted to go back to uni and do medicine and I dunno maybe I might have the same thoughts later

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending