The Student Room Group

Asian/Muslim teens - are you allowed to live away for uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Mum- "I don't want you to go to university far away just go to Kings College London!" (I don't even want to go KCL)

Dad- "I haven't got too much of a problem with you moving away as long as you get high grades at A2 and you might want to consider going abroad for uni because uni here in the UK is a f u c king ripoff. And don't go to Sheffield or Nottingham for university. They're very dodgy places and you'll die. Go for Southampton instead because it's clean!"

Different opinions but tbh that won't stop me from moving out to Southampton/Nottingham/Sheffield/abroad

From Sheffield, and I've gotta say that I'm pretty offended by that comment - Sheffield is great, especially the student areas! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna apply for 2017 entry IA; University of Sheffield is in the top 1% of universities worldwide, been there gazillions of times for extra-curricular stuff, and - contrary to the above belief - is a safe place to live. Oh, and it's in the city centre so is a doddle to get to from pretty much anywhere (bus-wise - you could walk from student and/or more expensive areas of Sheffield).

About moving away from home, I think it's an Asian thing. But I'm cool with that - saves me LOADS! :cool:
Original post by safiyyah98
Aw i bet you don't, but thats pretty common. Academically clever people always lack common sense and vice versa LOL. btw what country are you from originally?

haha and im originally from South Yemen.
My parents said no but I did anyway. Would have gone too if circumstances didn't change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fahmina
From Sheffield, and I've gotta say that I'm pretty offended by that comment - Sheffield is great, especially the student areas! :rolleyes:

I'm gonna apply for 2017 entry IA; University of Sheffield is in the top 1% of universities worldwide, been there gazillions of times for extra-curricular stuff, and - contrary to the above belief - is a safe place to live. Oh, and it's in the city centre so is a doddle to get to from pretty much anywhere (bus-wise - you could walk from student and/or more expensive areas of Sheffield).

About moving away from home, I think it's an Asian thing. But I'm cool with that - saves me LOADS! :cool:

I've had family who've gone to uni in Sheffield and they've loved it so I think my dad's wrong there :tongue: Anyway its so close to a National Park as well which is perfect for me because I love hiking. But yeah just saying what my dad thinks about me moving out
I've had family who've gone to uni in Sheffield and they've loved it so I think my dad's wrong there :tongue: Anyway its so close to a National Park as well which is perfect for me because I love hiking. But yeah just saying what my dad thinks about me moving out

Haha, I understand :smile: We have a 3:1 ratio of trees to people, so a great place if anyone needs a tree to hug :tongue: (highest in Europe - I know that from the Uni prospectus, btw, I don't look up random statistics just for fun!) We're on seven hills anyways - like Rome - so hiking is part of daily life, haha. I'm joking, it ain't that bad.

If you did come to Sheffield, what would you study?
Original post by saeed97
haha and im originally from South Yemen.

My old Arabic teacher was from Yemen, that is really cool, have you been there?
Original post by fahmina

I think its an asian thing too lol. Very nice plans for the future, Inshallah may Allah help you to achieve all your goals :smile:
Original post by fahmina
Haha, I understand :smile: We have a 3:1 ratio of trees to people, so a great place if anyone needs a tree to hug :tongue: (highest in Europe - I know that from the Uni prospectus, btw, I don't look up random statistics just for fun!) We're on seven hills anyways - like Rome - so hiking is part of daily life, haha. I'm joking, it ain't that bad.

If you did come to Sheffield, what would you study?

I'd do English :smile: Or a triple subject degree :smile:
I think its an asian thing too lol. Very nice plans for the future, Inshallah may Allah help you to achieve all your goals :smile:

Ameen and thank you! Inshallah, I wish the same for you too!

Aww, you've left me with such a warm feeling in my heart! :h:
My old Arabic teacher was from Yemen, that is really cool, have you been there?

I was last there in 2013 and before that in 2007. I was born there and lived there for 4 years.
Original post by fahmina
Ameen and thank you! Inshallah, I wish the same for you too!

Aww, you've left me with such a warm feeling in my heart! :h:

Thanks and I'm glad :smile: Its nice to know I've made someone happy :smile:
Original post by saeed97
I was last there in 2013 and before that in 2007. I was born there and lived there for 4 years.

Wow thats really cool! Yemen looks like a very beautiful country :smile:
Wow thats really cool! Yemen looks like a very beautiful country :smile:

It generally is if you overlook the war and poverty in some areas. Other than that its not too bad.
I'd do English :smile: Or a triple subject degree :smile:

English. *gulps*

I once attended a mini English lecture (at UoS, obviously) as part of the Dux Award - it was so boring, that a teacher got his phone out to play Temple Run.... :frown:

Ooh, I didn't know you could do triple subject degrees at UoS! What are you thinking of - I may be totally wrong, but I'm guessing it includes a language, as most of the dual Honours courses are combined with a language?
Original post by fahmina
English. *gulps*

I once attended a mini English lecture (at UoS, obviously) as part of the Dux Award - it was so boring, that a teacher got his phone out to play Temple Run.... :frown:

Ooh, I didn't know you could do triple subject degrees at UoS! What are you thinking of - I may be totally wrong, but I'm guessing it includes a language, as most of the dual Honours courses are combined with a language?

I think the triple honours is mainly arts subjects
Original post by saeed97
It generally is if you overlook the war and poverty in some areas. Other than that its not too bad.

yeah its sad that theres so much war in some of the worlds most beautiful and historic countries :'(
yeah its sad that theres so much war in some of the worlds most beautiful and historic countries :'(

True but alhamdulillah the people of South Yemen are very resilient and will get through this with no problem inshaAllah.
Original post by saeed97
True but alhamdulillah the people of South Yemen are very resilient and will get through this with no problem inshaAllah.

Thats really good alhamdulillah, and inshAllah they will, muslims all over the world need to stand together against oppression, and inshAllah Allah will guide us through :smile:
Ah yeah I guess that would be every parents preference no matter what culture lol

mhmm, tbh i wouldn't have chosen to go far away anyway because of the hassle of getting there and back to my hometown.
Original post by maryamzahid
mhmm, tbh i wouldn't have chosen to go far away anyway because of the hassle of getting there and back to my hometown.

Lol yeah commuting everyday would be a pain depending on how many buses and trains you'd need to catch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending