The Student Room Group

Guys, what is most attractive?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guestasdf
I am a little bit bi and also think it is a turn off. OTT!!! Plus, any makeup that is not TOTALLY HYGEINICALLY USED (rare) is essentially bacteria filled DIRT.

Yeah it looks too forward but I like ladylike girls :lol:

How do you use it hygienically? Wash it in soap etc?
Top bio student here, and anything that interferes with the normal function of an organ isn't going to be good... of course choking the surface of an organ with unnatural chemicals, which can diffuse etc into it thus interfering with its normal chemical constituency isn't going to be a good idea...
Top bio student here, and anything that interferes with the normal function of an organ isn't going to be good... of course choking the surface of an organ with unnatural chemicals, which can diffuse etc into it thus interfering with its normal chemical constituency isn't going to be a good idea...

How is wearing lipstick different from say vaseline though?
By natural makeup do you mean just not going overboard with it? lol
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
Yeah it looks too forward but I like ladylike girls :lol:

How do you use it hygienically? Wash it in soap etc?

If you really THINK about it true hygienic makeup use would be very hard. Touch the pump/bottle opening on a foundation with your fingers? Bacteria introduced... Re-use applicator brushes/pads? Bacteria introduced... And of course once they are in most species that can survive there with multiply exponentially. And if the product contains antibacterials this in itself isn't very healthy constantly applied to the skin; downregulation of the normal immune response much? (i.e. acidity and leukocytes and other antimicrobial chemicals in sebum). Then people wonder why their acne gets worse...?
(edited 8 years ago)
How is wearing lipstick different from say vaseline though?

Substantial research suggests the colouration and plumping of the lips by females is linked to emulating the swelling and 'redenning/pinkening' of lips associated with ovulation (i.e. you are manipulating the fundamental subconscious reproductive urges of the male's around you to your advantage). So that is why lipstick is different to just vaseline... But in terms of hygeine, yeah I am sure they are just as bad. Though EW think how many bacteria get in a lipstick every time you touch it to your MOUTH.... eurgh. Streptococcus mutans must be the TIP of the iceberg...
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I find makeup excessive on women too a lot.

Do you think men or women look better without it? (disregarding only being attracted to men). Because guys seem to have better skin without makeup IMO :smile:

To be honest, I just don't think makeup is helpful to a great deal of men and women. I think people sometimes begin the issue themselves. When they start using heavy amounts of product, their skin begins to look dire without it. That's not to say there aren't cases where people would benefit in the first place.
Societal norms challenged much...

Nothing wrong with challenging norms - your point?
Original post by ivybridge
Nothing wrong with challenging norms - your point?

My point was that that person's comment was basically ironic. e.g. it was originally a societal norm form men to wear wigs and makeup. Historically, it was a bit of a cultural 'revolution' in France when women started doing it, and now the tables have turned so far, so internationally.

Imagine a time when a WOMAN would have looked like a ridiculous parody of herself with makeup on, and a MAN quite normal. I find it very curious how and why things change, and why such frippery is still so very important to us. But then I am a curious person.

P.s. agree with your penultimate point. Of course there are exceptions. e.g. if some poor person had acquired a disfigurement through injury and needed makeup to have the confidence to feel 'normalized' to go out the door.

But I DON'T agree with the 'normalization' of makeup and photoshop in the media when it has the affect of making viewers/readers feel unattractive by falsely 'raising the bar', when there is actually nothing wrong with the poor so and so's. Especially now so many studies say even young children suffer this through media exposure.

I hope and pray more people can find better inner happiness and satisfaction in their lives by maturing to the point of thinking 'eff it' regarding their appearance and loving themselves for WHO they are not WHAT their surface looks like. I'm lucky enough that now at 27 after caring for 2 direct family members through terminal cancer (really changes your priorities), I have reached that point, and oh boy am I psychoemotionally better off.
(edited 8 years ago)
My point was that that person's comment was basically ironic. e.g. it was originally a societal norm form men to wear wigs and makeup. Historically, it was a bit of a cultural 'revolution' in France when women started doing it, and now the tables have turned so far, so internationally.

Imagine a time when a WOMAN would have looked like a ridiculous parody of herself with makeup on, and a MAN quite normal. I find it very curious how and why things change, and why such frippery is still so very important to us. But then I am a curious person.

P.s. agree with your penultimate point. Of course there are exceptions. e.g. if some poor person had acquired a disfigurement through injury and needed makeup to have the confidence to feel 'normalized' to go out the door.

All I was saying is it doesn't look right to me - I don't really care either way, I wouldn't laugh at somebody, a boy, wearing loads of obvious makeup. Each to their own!

Yeah, that or a huge acne problem or something along those lines.
So the vast majority say 'Natural Makeup' (Which I presume is standard foundation and some eye liner)
If makeup didn't exist , our perceptions of beauty would be much lower than current standards. However since it does , majority of males wouldn't be attracted to a female with no makeup , unless she has no next level aesthetics. So to put it , in a really longwinded fashion i'd go for minimal makeup (natural looking)
It's lovely how most of you guys are saying 'no makeup'. :smile:
I love the fresh-faced feeling, to be honest. Your skin feels wonderful and you can rub your eyes without thinking '****, I just smeared my 20-layers of mascara and black eyeliner'.
But I still need a teeny tiny bit to make me look human, ok. :rofl:
Just a wee bit. :teehee:
Original post by Mochassassin
It's lovely how most of you guys are saying 'no makeup'. :smile:
I love the fresh-faced feeling, to be honest. Your skin feels wonderful and you can rub your eyes without thinking '****, I just smeared my 20-layers of mascara and black eyeliner'.
But I still need a teeny tiny bit to make me look human, ok. :rofl:
Just a wee bit. :teehee:

Guys look fine without makeup (no homo)

Do guys have better skin then? :dontknow:
Guys look fine without makeup (no homo)

Do guys have better skin then? :dontknow:

Hm, I dunno. I've seen a fair share of guys with flawless skin and guys with acne-ridden skin, so I can't say for sure.
But I have noticed how good my face feels when I haven't worn makeup for good few days or so. :smile:
Usually, I can feel a spot growing after a day of makeup (even if I clean it well afterwards). :dontknow:
I think some makeup can look gorgeous. A bit of eye makeup and lipstick is my favourite :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I think some makeup can look gorgeous. A bit of eye makeup and lipstick is my favourite :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you put on the eyes, that primer? :smile:
It isn't much of a deal-breaker for me, but my preference is for none or very light make-up.
Reply 58
i'm a neckbeard

Quick Reply

Latest