The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

UK rape culture, 85,000 women,12,000 men raped every year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Howard
Moral backbone! Lol! As my dear grandmother ("Gawd rest er") used to exclaim......"There's no British spunk anymore....."

Apparently, judging by these rape statistics she was completely wrong.

I do like our stories about the good old times.
Reply 121
Original post by Bill_Gates
I do like our stories about the good old times.

Call me Jackanory.
There's a 'rape culture' in the UK no more than there is a 'theft culture' or 'violence culture'. Rape is regarded as one of the worst crimes people can commit and it isn't tolerated. And the authorities and media are addressing it - we're bombarded with sexual assault information anti-rape messages all the time.

Despite those rates looking high, they are the highest estimate based on surveys. Always check these surveys to see the criteria they are using for rape and 'sexual violence' as they can often be very broad - i.e. having sex while "drunk" would be called rape, or somebody drunkenly trying to kiss you sexual violence. Rapecrisis.org in particular are known for exaggerating the statistics as much as they can and aren't, in my view, a particularly reputable or reliable website. For example, from the report they cite, they state one-in-five women have experienced sexual violence since the age of 16. But this includes things like voyeurism, unwanted touching, stalking, indecent exposure, sex with those under age, etc. Few of those acts necessarily involve any violence. Rates of serious sexual offenses such as rape, attempted rape, sexual assault and attempted sexual assault, are one-in-twenty, according the the report. So, over her lifetime, a UK woman has a 5% chance of being the victim of one of those offences, according to the survey data.

It's also important to remember that reported incidents are not necessarily actual incidents. People can lie, be mistaken, etc. That's why we have trials.

Original post by slade p
No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

Men are actually a lot more likely to be the victim of a street crime (and most violent crime in general).
According to the actual report cited in the link to rapecrisis.org that slade p provided, 95% of UK women will never be the victim of either a sexual assault, attempted rape, or a rape in their lifetimes. But it's a "rampant problem" that society is ignoring, despite endless public messages and awareness campaigns about how bad it is. It is bad, don't get me wrong, but it's a small fraction of all the crime and violent crime in the UK.

And UK men are much more likely to be the victim of any violent crime in general, but I don't hear any activists spreading hysteria over how vulnerable they are...
bahaha male rape wtf is that, lol what bitch man gets themselves raped lololol
Reply 125
Original post by Dandaman1
According to the actual report cited in the link to rapecrisis.org that slade p provided, 95% of UK women will never be the victim of either a sexual assault, attempted rape, or a rape in their lifetimes. But it's a "rampant problem" that society is ignoring, despite endless public messages and awareness campaigns about how bad it is. It is bad, don't get me wrong, but it's a small fraction of all the crime and violent crime in the UK.

And UK men are much more likely to be the victim of any violent crime in general, but I don't hear any activists spreading hysteria over how vulnerable they are...

Saying UK men are more likely to be victim of violent us not saying much, that's obviously the case everywhere . This is about rape where the UK has among the highest amount and rate of rape in the world. Also 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in UK which would means millions.
Original post by slade p
Saying UK men are more likely to be victim of violent us not saying much, that's obviously the case everywhere . This is about rape where the UK has among the highest amount and rate of rape in the world. Also 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in UK which would means millions.[citation needed]

You really aren't too good at citations, are you
Reply 127
Original post by Jammy Duel
You really aren't too good at citations, are you

I'e already given the sources while you continue to deny the problem and divert the issue to something else.
Original post by slade p
I'e already given the sources while you continue to deny the problem and divert the issue to something else.

Unless I missed a whole load of posts, you didn't, and the sums really don't add up. Assuming that the current rates are roughly the same as the long term average, and assuming that all age groups are affected, we come to an upper limit for the number of victims of rape or sexual assault of about 5 million, even if we assume them all to be female we still don't get to one in five, and that is assuming that nobody is a victim of multiple crimes.
Original post by slade p
Saying UK men are more likely to be victim of violent us not saying much, that's obviously the case everywhere . This is about rape where the UK has among the highest amount and rate of rape in the world. Also 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in UK which would means millions.

In the very government report that the website you linked to cited (which I'm assuming you didn't read), it is stated that the estimated rate for sexual assault and other serious sexual crimes (combined) experienced at least once by UK women over the age of 16 is 1-in-20 (5%). The rate of 1-in-5 refers to other acts such as voyeurism, sex with a minor, stalking, indecent exposure, etc. These are not the violent crimes that rapecrisis.org is saying they are.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I generally would not go around claiming such statistics, given the "rate" of rape reports to police and prosecution. Consent as a legal concept depends highly on the context of the case, and the testimonial evidence given by supposed victims have not been examined by the courts. So basically the number stated by the report is of rape accusations, not actual occurrences of rape itself.

Consent is quite simple. If he or she says yes, there is consent. If he or she says no there is no consent. If you choose to ignore that, then it is rape. If there is no consent, then it is rape.

Very, very few people deliberately lie about being raped. The number is statistically insignificant. Many people choose to not report what has happened to them to the police because they think that they will not be believed. They may be unwilling to relive the trauma that has happened. They may be unable to trust the police because a person that they trusted did that to them. They may choose to go to a rape crisis centre or call a helpline. They may be in denial because it is such a traumatic thing to happen.

A person who says that they were raped should always be believed. They probably were. There is a significant chance that they have injuries to support that. For understandable reasons they may not want anybody to go near their genitals, because of what happened last time anyone was near there. This means that they cannot get forensic evidence.

There is a pitifully low conviction rate. That doesn't mean that very few people are raped, it means that the police aren't treating it as a priority. There may also be a low conviction rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dandaman1
In the very government report that the website you linked to cited (which I'm assuming you didn't read), it is stated that the estimated rate for sexual assault and other serious sexual crimes (combined) experienced at least once by UK women over the age of 16 is 1-in-20 (5%). The rate of 1-in-5 refers to other acts such as voyeurism, sex with a minor, stalking, indecent exposure, etc. These are not the violent crimes that rapecrisis.org is saying they are.

Still unacceptable and serious crimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0123456543210
Take away all the false accusations from the total number and the real value will be less than a half of that. Also, it is not that bad if you look at the statistics in India.

Very very few people falsely claim to have been raped.

Any number of rapes is too many.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
Still unacceptable and serious crimes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course, and I'm not denying they are, nor is anyone on this thread.

What's being challenged, however, are Slade p's claims about the frequency of these crimes and the notion of a 'rape culture.'
Original post by slade p
Approximately 85,000 women and 12,000 men are raped in England and Wales alone every year; that's roughly 11 rapes (of adults alone) every hour

Nearly half a million adults are sexually assaulted in England and Wales each year 1 in 5 women aged 16 - 59 has experienced some form of sexual violence since the age of 16

Only around 15% of those who experience sexual violence choose to report to the police

Approximately 90% of those who are raped know the perpetrator prior to the offence

http://rapecrisis.org.uk/statistics.php

Why is rape and sexual assaults rampant in the u.k?

Also why is this not being adressed properly? Media and organisations are not highlighting it or doing anything much to tackle these shockingly high amounts of rape and sexual assaults. No one in UK protests about it which shows they are totally fine with it.

Is it because it's so normal that it's just how things are and that its just part of British culture?

No wonder that women in the u.k are petrified to walk alone at night.

[video]https://youtu.be/25-G75Lz5x0[/video]

At that rate, in the next 37 years, the entire female population of the UK will be raped.

In other words, those figures are bull****.
Original post by cole-slaw
At that rate, in the next 37 years, the entire female population of the UK will be raped.

In other words, those figures are bull****.

Nope. You are forgetting that people die. It won't be the same people. According to my calculator, it would be 3145000. That is nowhere near every woman in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are ~20,000 rapes each year in the UK.
Reply 137
There are ~20,000 rapes each year in the UK.

Yes this is the official rape amount and even this gives the UK among the highest rates of rape in the world.
Original post by slade p
Yes this is the official rape amount and even this gives the UK among the highest rates of rape in the world.

Are you trolling? UK isn't even in the top 50.
Are you trolling? UK isn't even in the top 50.

He/she has made this thread at least four times already with the exact same figures and sources and never advances the argument or offers any other sources to back up claims. Troll is likely.

Latest

Trending

Trending