The Student Room Group

Missing my best friend

My best friend lives abroad and recently I really miss her and it is starting to get me down. I dread her visiting because I know she will have to leave. Any advice on how to deal with a long distance friendship?
Reply 1
Skype? I know it's not the same but it's something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jenni:)
Skype? I know it's not the same but it's something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, we Skype about once a week :smile:
Original post by El1710
My best friend lives abroad and recently I really miss her and it is starting to get me down. I dread her visiting because I know she will have to leave. Any advice on how to deal with a long distance friendship?

How far away will she be? In the UK? or EU state?

Skype is a start and just generally good communication and keeping one another inundated with progress in life will make you feel much better. And maybe once a month meetup together (plenty of cheap transport ticket sites even for EU destinations.)
Reply 4
Original post by honestly
How far away will she be? In the UK? or EU state?

Skype is a start and just generally good communication and keeping one another inundated with progress in life will make you feel much better. And maybe once a month meetup together (plenty of cheap transport ticket sites even for EU destinations.)

She lives in Germany. I get to see her one or twice a year at the moment
Reply 5
I know how you feel. My best friend lives the other side of the country. We've seen each other maybe twice this year. It's tough, but we both know the other will be there, if we really need to talk about anything.

Try to arrange trips to visit each other and stay at each others to cut down on costs.

But at the same time, you have to realise that sometimes, with distance and moving on with life, some friendships just don't last no matter how much you might try to make them do so.
My best friend moved 300 miles away once she finished uni and even though we still talk every day I just can't cope without her.

I get so jealous and upset seeing her go out and meet loads of new people. I'm happy for her but I feel like **** knowing she's out making a new life for herself whilst i'm just sat alone in my flat, binging on junk food and wishing I had someone to talk to. It feels like she doesn't need me anymore and she's eventually going to replace me and move on.

I'm struggling so much without her and it's undoubtedly affecting our friendship because 90% of our conversations are just me unloading all my problems on to her. I can't even go and visit because she doesn't have a job or any money.

If I had other people i'd be fine but I have no friends in this city at all.
Reply 7
Original post by sr90
My best friend moved 300 miles away once she finished uni and even though we still talk every day I just can't cope without her.

I get so jealous and upset seeing her go out and meet loads of new people. I'm happy for her but I feel like **** knowing she's out making a new life for herself whilst i'm just sat alone in my flat, binging on junk food and wishing I had someone to talk to. It feels like she doesn't need me anymore and she's eventually going to replace me and move on.

I'm struggling so much without her and it's undoubtedly affecting our friendship because 90% of our conversations are just me unloading all my problems on to her. I can't even go and visit because she doesn't have a job or any money.

If I had other people i'd be fine but I have no friends in this city at all.

I know how you feel, but my friends shares the same feelings as me and struggles with the distance too. Try and be happy for her. Yeah it is crap but i guess the distance shouldn't stop you from living your life and them living theirs. Maybe just try and turn the conversation to a common interest rather than loads of problems. I hope you get to see them soon
Original post by El1710
I know how you feel, but my friends shares the same feelings as me and struggles with the distance too. Try and be happy for her. Yeah it is crap but i guess the distance shouldn't stop you from living your life and them living theirs. Maybe just try and turn the conversation to a common interest rather than loads of problems. I hope you get to see them soon

Yeh I feel bad because she doesn't have many friends either, and she's in the same boat as me in that she's lost touch with a lot of people. At least with her, her boyfriend is really popular so she's always meeting people through him.

It sucks because i'm planning to get her an awesome Christmas present but won't be able to give it to her in person.
Reply 9
Original post by sr90
Yeh I feel bad because she doesn't have many friends either, and she's in the same boat as me in that she's lost touch with a lot of people. At least with her, her boyfriend is really popular so she's always meeting people through him.

It sucks because i'm planning to get her an awesome Christmas present but won't be able to give it to her in person.

Could you maybe send it in the post?
Original post by El1710

Just cut her off. Clearly it is giving you more pain than happiness
Original post by El1710
Could you maybe send it in the post?

Already planned to. Just wish I could do it personally :sad:
Reply 12
Original post by Unbannable
Just cut her off. Clearly it is giving you more pain than happiness

Why would i want to cut my friend off just because she lives far away?!
Reply 13
Original post by sr90
Already planned to. Just wish I could do it personally :sad:

It sucks, but luckily my friend is flying over in March to stay with me so I am saving my christmas present for then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending