The Student Room Group

TSR Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE) Super Thread

Scroll to see replies

Anybody applied yet, PM me if you want help with statements/willing to give feedback. Im applying very soon to UCL Imperial Surrey Exeter and Southampton

All for EEE however for Exeter its a combined course EEE and Comp Sci.
Reply 181
To any current EEE students; did you do any programming/projects before applying to Uni's?
I'm in a somewhat annoying situation where I'm not sure whether it's worth applying to the 'good' universities. Got BBBB for AS (maths, physics, chem, bio) predicted BAAA respectively. However I have programmed an IC for an RC project using C, and learned about IC functions e.g. ADC, DAC PWM - would you think the personal statement is taken into account as much as grades?
Original post by trapking
computer engineering.

youre welcome

Well however the main thing is I dont want to be restricted in computer only, I prefer studying all kinds of electrical stuff, also not so many uni provide computer engineering btw. Usually they only have computer science which focus too much on software :frown:
Original post by RBoss
To any current EEE students; did you do any programming/projects before applying to Uni's?
I'm in a somewhat annoying situation where I'm not sure whether it's worth applying to the 'good' universities. Got BBBB for AS (maths, physics, chem, bio) predicted BAAA respectively. However I have programmed an IC for an RC project using C, and learned about IC functions e.g. ADC, DAC PWM - would you think the personal statement is taken into account as much as grades?

I (along with the majority of my coursemates, I think) had pretty much no experience in programming, or even electronics in general. Universities don't usually expect you to have any prior knowledge though so everything gets taught from scratch.

Experience in the stuff you've mentioned would definitely be useful (I'm currently doing an extended project that incorporates all of those things) and is a great thing to talk about in your personal statement. Whether it would be enough to make up for not quite meeting the typical entry requirements, I don't know. I imagine it would vary from university to university so it might be a good idea to contact the ones you're interested in individually and see what they say.
Hi, I'm unsure on which universities to put down as my choices. I would like to do a MEng in eee. I've narrowed it down to Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield and Cardiff. I haven't been to Sheffield, Nottingham or Bristol. What are the facilities like? Any advice would be appreciated. Also I'm predicted A*AA.

Thanks,
James
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by james355
Hi, I'm unsure on which universities to put down as my choices. I would like to do a MEng in eee. I've narrowed it down to Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield and Cardiff. I haven't been to Sheffield, Nottingham or Bristol. What are the facilities like? Any advice would be appreciated. Also I'm predicted A*AA.

Thanks,
James

Bristol Is very good and have a really renowned EEE Dept, its definitely worth applying for. Their offers are usually AAA so its a solid choice.
Has anyone been to Nottingham or Sheffield? How do they compare to Cardiff?
Thanks
Original post by james355
Has anyone been to Nottingham or Sheffield? How do they compare to Cardiff?
Thanks

Try use unistats, it's one of best ways you compare the comparable data.

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses
Original post by McRite
Try use unistats, it's one of best ways you compare the comparable data.

https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses

Hard to test how accurate the data presented are though...
Original post by alexkol
Hard to test how accurate the data presented are though...

Yeah but no one was going to say anything, better than nothing tbh.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Ah, ok. In that case, just try to find out as much as you can about them online. I don't know much about the differences between their courses but the cities are very different.

Also, I'm currently studying EEE at Manchester so if you have any questions about that one in particular, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

How is THE EEE at manchester. Did you get interview from them before u started the course and how is it?.
Original post by dream_big
How is THE EEE at manchester. Did you get interview from them before u started the course and how is it?.

That's quite a broad question but I think it's good, I'm enjoying it at least. I didn't have an interview with the School of EEE because I got onto the course via Manchester's foundation year programme.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
That's quite a broad question but I think it's good, I'm enjoying it at least. I didn't have an interview with the School of EEE because I got onto the course via Manchester's foundation year programme.

Thank you so much for you kind reply.
What was the reason for you doing foundation year
Thank you so much for you kind reply.
What was the reason for you doing foundation year

I'm a mature student and didn't study any maths or science subjects at A-level so it was pretty much my only choice.
Any advice for eee personal statement and i really need you guy's help
Any advice for eee personal statement and i really need you guy's help

Try to include some extra activities that you may have done related to EEE. Reading a degree level book, topics and research outside of A level content. I think this shows a high level of interest into the subject.

If you have any work experience, ty to relate it to how it can help you at university and as an upcoming engineer. Any experience related to EEE is fantastic but hard to get, I was very lucky in getting this experience, but it looked great on PS.

Also, try to include some potential goals in your conclusion.

GL on it.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone heard anything from Queens' University, Belfast, Southampton or Heriott-Watt? I've been invited to an Applicant Day at Surrey and an interview at Cambridge.
Original post by Lydianne
Anyone heard anything from Queens' University, Belfast, Southampton or Heriott-Watt? I've been invited to an Applicant Day at Surrey and an interview at Cambridge.

I haven't heard anything from Southampton yet.
Original post by McRite
I haven't heard anything from Southampton yet.

Not even the postcard? My friends applied to different courses and apparently received postcards...maybe just didn't get through the post to Northern Ireland. When did you send off your application by the way?
Original post by Lydianne
Not even the postcard? My friends applied to different courses and apparently received postcards...maybe just didn't get through the post to Northern Ireland. When did you send off your application by the way?

I got the acknowledgement email. I don't think I got the postcard because I don't live in the UK.

30th of October.

Quick Reply

Latest