The Student Room Group

Law Based A Levels

Need advice please.I'm choosing my a-levels soon and one of my options is to do this set of subjects:colone:nglish lit, theatre studies (drama), government and politics, philosophy and ethics.These are subjects I enjoy and feel I am relatively good at, however I'm not sure what job I can do with them?I have been looking online but I'm getting random answers from gardening to accounting. I wa shopping law would be a possibility.Thanks for any answers or advice.regards,JARS
A-Levels don't really make an impact on what job you get in a direct sense, but they do affect your chance of getting into certain university courses which in turn affect your job prospects.

I assume since you posted this in the university forum that you intend to study Law at university. Looking at your A-Level choices I would say the following:

English Lit - Great choice. Something that will stand you in good stead for Law as it's not seen as a soft subject and the essay writing and rhetorical skills you will learn/develop with transfer well to Law. English is something Law admissions tutors look for.

Theatre Studies - Irrelevant to Law honesty. But don't let this deter you from taking it, honestly as long as you get good grades in it it should still be good. Though the sad truth is that since this is the least relevant of your choices it would probably be the one most advisable to drop at Upper Sixth.

Government & Pol - Strangely the feedback I had from universities in regards to whether this would help a Law application years ago was pretty ambivalent. It's not a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination, and logically it makes sense, but at the same time they didn't seem massively keen on it. I'd consider swapping this out for History. While I only studied Pol for a short while they seemed relatively comparable but History has broader content and is much more sought after when applying for Law.

Philosophy & Ethics - A decent choice again. While the other aspects of philosophy won't be of much relevance to Law, the concepts of ethical philosophy arguably underpin Law and getting a firm grounding in them is a great idea. Unfortunately I'm not sure how unis feel about this one but I should imagine it would be positive.

That said, please don't take my word as gospel; ask your teachers, ring up admissions tutors for Law of unis you think you might be considering and get their advice as well, they'll be much more qualified than I am. And it's worth remembering that even if some choices aren't as strong as others what ultimately trumps that is the grades you get. If you could get better grades doing things you love then you should go for that. It's good you're keeping a career in mind at this point, but don't let it dictate you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xJARSx
Need advice please.I'm choosing my a-levels soon and one of my options is to do this set of subjects:colone:nglish lit, theatre studies (drama), government and politics, philosophy and ethics.These are subjects I enjoy and feel I am relatively good at, however I'm not sure what job I can do with them?I have been looking online but I'm getting random answers from gardening to accounting. I wa shopping law would be a possibility.Thanks for any answers or advice.regards,JARS

English, politics and philosophy would be fine A-levels for law. Theatre studies would be fine as a fourth.

The subjects you study at A-level matter less for law than how well you do in them. Of course, all else being equal it's better to do subjects which are considered traditional (rigorous), but that discussion is fairly academic for you as you have three subjects which are fine in that respect.
Original post by seeunexttuesday
A-Levels don't really make an impact on what job you get in a direct sense, but they do affect your chance of getting into certain university courses which in turn affect your job prospects.

I assume since you posted this in the university forum that you intend to study Law at university. Looking at your A-Level choices I would say the following:

English Lit - Great choice. Something that will stand you in good stead for Law as it's not seen as a soft subject and the essay writing and rhetorical skills you will learn/develop with transfer well to Law. English is something Law admissions tutors look for.

Theatre Studies - Irrelevant to Law honesty. But don't let this deter you from taking it, honestly as long as you get good grades in it it should still be good. Though the sad truth is that since this is the least relevant of your choices it would probably be the one most advisable to drop at Upper Sixth.

Government & Pol - Strangely the feedback I had from universities in regards to whether this would help a Law application years ago was pretty ambivalent. It's not a bad pick by any stretch of the imagination, and logically it makes sense, but at the same time they didn't seem massively keen on it. I'd consider swapping this out for History. While I only studied Pol for a short while they seemed relatively comparable but History has broader content and is much more sought after when applying for Law.

Philosophy & Ethics - A decent choice again. While the other aspects of philosophy won't be of much relevance to Law, the concepts of ethical philosophy arguably underpin Law and getting a firm grounding in them is a great idea. Unfortunately I'm not sure how unis feel about this one but I should imagine it would be positive.

That said, please don't take my word as gospel; ask your teachers, ring up admissions tutors for Law of unis you think you might be considering and get their advice as well, they'll be much more qualified than I am. And it's worth remembering that even if some choices aren't as strong as others what ultimately trumps that is the grades you get. If you could get better grades doing things you love then you should go for that. It's good you're keeping a career in mind at this point, but don't let it dictate you.

Original post by TurboCretin
English, politics and philosophy would be fine A-levels for law. Theatre studies would be fine as a fourth.

The subjects you study at A-level matter less for law than how well you do in them. Of course, all else being equal it's better to do subjects which are considered traditional (rigorous), but that discussion is fairly academic for you as you have three subjects which are fine in that respect.

Thanks very much!

I'm considering swapping drama out for maths, as maths is a more facilitating subject and I'm ok at it.

The only thing is I really don't want to do history a-level, will this be frowned upon by unis?
Original post by xJARSx

Thanks very much!

I'm considering swapping drama out for maths, as maths is a more facilitating subject and I'm ok at it.

The only thing is I really don't want to do history a-level, will this be frowned upon by unis?

No - do what you're good at and enjoy.
Not at all! Was just floating it as a suggestions. Good grades trump choices in the end as long as they're decent and yours are. :~)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending